Stan Petrov

LondonLax

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

But wasn't he doing that as a coach?

look I hope your right....I'm just dubious......but never the less hopeful you are right.

I understand that if we are to change the culture.....He will be an example of what we want to change it to.

I don't know exactly what his role was there but as a player I expect he'd have a lot more influence.

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

But wasn't he doing that as a coach?

look I hope your right....I'm just dubious......but never the less hopeful you are right.

I understand that if we are to change the culture.....He will be an example of what we want to change it to.

What coaching role?

It was only ever bit part under Sherwood. For example when we played Man. City away he was analyzing the game for Sky. 

I'm actually coming round to the idea now if only for the incredible roar he'll get if/when he comes on as a sub at Villa Park this season. Will be a beautiful moment and we haven't had too many of those in recent times.

Guys - He wants to play football at the highest level he can. He wants the years of his career back that cancer took away from him. 

He will get them too, whether here or elsewhere. So all this talk of what he can and can't offer as a coach is moot. 

• Like 2

ill admit, i wasnt a huge fan of his before hand, i just saw him as another squad player, although in hindsight i guess i didnt see what he done in those 90 minutes.

however, seeing the pictures of him in training with the team was a delight, for someone that has gone through what he as is awesome, i for one hope this club offers him a contract, this club has signed many players over the years on high wages who havent done anything, at least stan will give his all for less many and more passion, its possible we wouldnt see a full game out of him but anything is better than nothing.

i wonder if the club do re-sign him that he will get his shirt number back.

39 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

ill admit, i wasnt a huge fan of his before hand, i just saw him as another squad player, although in hindsight i guess i didnt see what he done in those 90 minutes.

however, seeing the pictures of him in training with the team was a delight, for someone that has gone through what he as is awesome, i for one hope this club offers him a contract, this club has signed many players over the years on high wages who havent done anything, at least stan will give his all for less many and more passion, its possible we wouldnt see a full game out of him but anything is better than nothing.

i wonder if the club do re-sign him that he will get his shirt number back.

Add to that, that apparently it took double the work for him to perform at those levels as the Leukemia was taking away his oxygen, and it is even more remarkable. What a guy!

• Like 1

If Petrov does get a contract, the 2 signings we would have made has already brought up the level of professionalism in the squad compared to the amateur levels last season.

compare Elphick and Petrov or Gabby, Lescott and Richards as dressing room leaders :crylaugh:

Stan is nearly 37 I'm sure he just wants to play one more season and to be a role model for others. I hope he proves his worth on the pitch and he does that with us as just having him around the club would be brilliant for all concerned. I can think of nothing better than him lifting the Championship for us and then retiring. It'd also be great as I've played against him the last 2 years in the over 35's! Good luck Stan. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a nice gesture and I hope that there's a spot somewhere in the club for him, but I think we need to be realistic - he's not going to play, it's great to have him around, but his days on the pitch are over.

I distictly remember a certain club captain having 8 touches in 45mins against Spuds.

Whatever Stan's fitness level is I'm sure he'll be more effective than 60g's a week mr Aston Villa in the Ch.

I'd love for him to come on as a sub at one point at Villa Park. The reception would be the greatest thing that has happened on a pitch while Aston Villa have been playing in 5 years, surpassing the beach ball protest.

Just having him around the squad should see a marked improvement in our desire and professionalism though.

• Like 2

Be great if he could manage a season like Robert Pires did in 2010/2011 for us. Provide dressing room leadership and manage 9-10 appearances for us off the bench. If he could manage that it would be a great result for everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Thankfully he doesn't have the same attitude. 

Attitude isn't going to make a 37 year old who's been seriously ill and not played for two years a good enough athlete to play Championship level football. I like him, he's been good for the club and he's got great character and attitude - he should be looking for a job in management or coaching.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a nice gesture and I hope that there's a spot somewhere in the club for him, but I think we need to be realistic - he's not going to play, it's great to have him around, but his days on the pitch are over.

You might well be right but I find this attitude towards it a little disappointing to be honest.

There are players that have made it back post serious illness and though his age doesn't help I would like to think it's at least possible.

We are in a league with likes of Burton Albion is it not at least possible he would be able to get back to be a squad player and help us see out the last 20 mins of games? It's not like he was ever a player with great pace, his attributes  were about retaining and using the ball.

Alan Stubbs went on to play 150 games after beating testicular cancer (twice) ,Neil Harris also returned to the game after the same condition. More recently Gutierrez made a come back.

None of that means Petrov will make it back but I just don't like seeing the possibility written off for him.

• Like 4

On 24/06/2016 at 12:36, TRO said:

Stevo....I appreciate your point and you may well be right.

I am worried it may turn out to be a distraction and we have been littered with passive decisions over the last 6 years.

I hope my comments ARE unfounded, but its just my view.

It will be an almighty battle physically next season, I just happen to think we are clutching at straws.

Its clear my view is in the minority.....maybe we can revisit it when the season gets started and more evidence will be on display.

You, say we have nothing to lose.....It may be at the expense of signing another player and half way through a season Stan Breaks down or fails to cope with the rigours....His training will need to be monitored and assessed 

Like I say, I'm just not in favour....its not just 37 ...its 37 + Leukemia.....too much to ask for me.

I agree with everything TRO has been saying but I hope and pray our opinions are wrong regarding Stan, my brother-in-law is a Leukemia survivor so I've seen first hand how it physically ruins a person (more so the treatment not the illness ironically), his story alone should be enough to inspire the younger players coming through and he should be given a role at the club regardless of his playing career. His mere presence should invoke a pride in the team, playing or not.

Imho of course.

Edited by Hoof hearted
  • Like 2

Imagine being at Villa Park the day that Petrov wore claret and blue again, number 19, and stepped out on the pitch... It sends tingles down my spine just thinking about the reaction.

It's a win win situation for both the club and for Stan. If he proves he can do it, then he can do it, if he can't do it (although exactly what Stan considers 'it' and what the club do could be different), he'll do something else or somewhere else. It's the best PR we can hope for, and I honestly think he will be the difference behind the scenes this year to change that toxic atmosphere. How could a player look Petrov in his eyes and tell him they don't care.

Come on Stan.

Â