Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

Can someone please succinctly summarise what they've done that's wrong?

Like, "they spent <x> when they could only spend <y>" or something rather than "they've ruined football".  I've just read about a load of charges and can't be arsed going into the detail.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can someone please succinctly summarise what they've done that's wrong?

Like, "they spent <x> when they could only spend <y>" or something rather than "they've ruined football".  I've just read about a load of charges and can't be arsed going into the detail.

They don’t actually follow Financial Fair Play. They say they do but are allegedly cheating it at both ends.

On one side they have fake sponsors deals which allows the owner to pump in more of their money, it just gets channeled via a shell company first or a friendly company like Etihad Airways (who are also controlled by Man City).

On the other side they are alleged to make 2 sets of payments to staff. One official on the books to show to FFP regulators and then also a second salary off the books that FFP doesn’t see, topping up salaries. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

They don’t actually follow Financial Fair Play. They say they do but are allegedly cheating it at both ends.

On one side they have fake sponsors deals which allows the owner to pump in more of their money, it just gets channeled via a shell company first or a friendly company like Etihad Airways (who are also controlled by Man City).

On the other side they are alleged to make 2 sets of payments to staff. One official on the books to show to FFP regulators and then also a second salary off the books that FFP doesn’t see, topping up salaries. 

But what's the actual impact?  How much have they exceeded FFP by with their dodgy routes etc?

I hear they've cheated.  I believe they've cheated.  But there's no actual figures or anything going round.  However, when others clubs are loosely connected to breaking FFP, it's like "Everton claim £300m revenue over Covid" or whatever.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But what's the actual impact? 

What's the actual impact of cooking the books? Well, it's illegal first and foremost. Second, if you can only spend 50m a year (bad number but example) to stay within FFP but they double everyone's salary with another 50m. For every year they're not only exceeding FFP by 50m, but they're also hiding it. It's a double charge.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

What's the actual impact of cooking the books? Well, it's illegal first and foremost. Second, if you can only spend 50m a year (bad number but example) to stay within FFP but they double everyone's salary with another 50m. For every year they're not only exceeding FFP by 50m, but they're also hiding it. It's a double charge.

Right, but again what's actually happened?  This is just "well they've cheated" - which I understand, that's fine, but is there any actual detail or are people outraged over the charges more than anything else?  Have they spent an extra £200m that they technically couldn't?

der spiegel is the best place to start bobzy, they've been after them for years and have written a fair few lengthy in depth investigations in to them

they hate them...but are unfortunately very quiet on what bayern do to german football (the story behind bayern's audi deal is worth a read up)

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

What is the latest on the investigation into the cheaters?, all seems very quiet.....is the only sound I can hear is the noise of it being swept under the carpet?....

They said it would be several months. I think the expectation is probably during the close season, which would certainly be the least messy way to do it if any serious charges are actually applied.

On 12/04/2023 at 09:26, bobzy said:

Right, but again what's actually happened?  This is just "well they've cheated" - which I understand, that's fine, but is there any actual detail or are people outraged over the charges more than anything else?  Have they spent an extra £200m that they technically couldn't?

Don’t have exact numbers for you, but I’m pretty confident at least £100 million which allowed them to buy Grealish from us for a start.

On 12/04/2023 at 09:26, bobzy said:

Well they've clearly spent more than they should have been able to. They've clearly committed fraud to also cover this up. 

Exact figures might be difficult to nail down..

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Don’t have exact numbers for you, but I’m pretty confident at least £100 million which allowed them to buy Grealish from us for a start.

Yes and it's exactly that kind of advantage they gained by their cheating. They weakened us just because they could, as they are owned by a state in all but name and continue to cheat football with their financial crimes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes and it's exactly that kind of advantage they gained by their cheating. They weakened us just because they could, as they are owned by a state in all but name and continue to cheat football with their financial crimes.

On the other hand we got £100m for a player who was not worth anywhere near that 😁

Just a shame we wasted most of it…

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

On the other hand we got £100m for a player who was not worth anywhere near that 😁

Just a shame we wasted most of it…

We didn't waste it

They weakened us by more than £100m...he was worth more to us

• Like 3

Just read on the BBC footy website that they are planning an extension to their ground to bring it up to 60k (even more empty seats).

Costs to be about 300 million...

I wonder what dodgy deals are being done to push that through...?

7 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Just read on the BBC footy website that they are planning an extension to their ground to bring it up to 60k (even more empty seats).

Seems a lot for 6,000 seats and a fan zone. We are currently budgeting 100 mil for a 16,000 new stand and live venue. Unless that turns out to be laughably inaccurate.

Edited by The Fun Factory

£300m sounds crazy but I assume there's more to the development than just the extra seats. It'll mean many more empty seats for their midweek games and thousands more tourists at their home games. They'll end up with no atmosphere at the ground, if there even is one at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Don't stadium enhancements not count towards FFP?

Â