Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair to them they do get the shirty end of the stick compared to the old boys, I'd maintain man utd along with sky and the PL did more damage to football in the 90s, they laid the foundations both in their global expansion and their chasing of turnover resulting in them effectively becoming a business rather than a sports club, easy to point at city in 2008 ruining football, it was already gone just no one wanted to admit it

At least with United there was a blueprint, become successful enough to become a juggernaut, even if you have to luck into a generational crop of youngsters and the greatest manager of all time to do it. Arsenal had a similar thing going too. It was largely organic. You can't get mad that Arsenal took a gamble on Arsene Wenger, Thierry Henry et al and that it worked out amazingly. It can't happen anymore. Brighton are basically doing that, and they'll likely never even crack the top 6 right now because of FFP (and by proxy City). If you dropped them in the 90's they'd probably be Arsenal.

• Like 1

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I honestly don't know a man City fan, they're irrelevant to me, as is the PL largely and especially the CL, utd and Liverpool on the other hand Kidderminster is still full of the bastards and they don't half like telling you

I'm a Villa fan, I'm not really a football fan anymore, beyond the QPR game I know and remember very little about man City, hardly ever watch them, do you remember that famous man City FA Cup win? Nope, absolutely not, do you remember Chelsea beating man City in the CL final? I watched it in a pub with mates and got blind drunk, can't even remember who scored (Chelsea won 1-0?)

City can be ignored and avoided

I remember all of it unfortunately. I was half celebrating that Haavertz goal, because for all the billions spent, the CL is still out of their grasp. It's the one solace left.

Just now, Keyblade said:

At least with United there was a blueprint, become successful enough to become a juggernaut, even if you have to luck into a generational crop of youngsters and the greatest manager of all time to do it. Arsenal had a similar thing going too. It was largely organic. You can't get mad that Arsenal took a gamble on Arsene Wenger, Thierry Henry et al and that it worked out amazingly. It can't happen anymore. Brighton are basically doing that, and they'll likely never even crack the top 6 right now because of FFP (and by proxy City). If you dropped them in the 90's they'd probably be Arsenal.

Yeah but I blame utd for FFP

It was passed because of man City but it was utds baby, club with biggest revenue in the world suggested a spending model based around revenue and people lapped it up, madness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah but I blame utd for FFP

It was passed because of man City but it was utds baby, club with biggest revenue in the world suggested a spending model based around revenue and people lapped it up, madness

True, and it's what prompted City to ultimately start cheating in the first place. Completely ruined football imo. It needs to be overhauled completely. Salary caps, spending caps, I don't know what but something needs to change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

True, and it's what prompted City to ultimately start cheating in the first place. Completely ruined football imo. It needs to be overhauled completely. Salary caps, spending caps, I don't know what but something needs to change.

To me you just can't have a revenue based system while there is such disparity in revenue largely driven by a competition giving 4 teams £100m more revenue per season, that's then made worse by the increased sponsorship revenue associated with that competition and this new FIFA competition which I'd guess would be worth £150-200m in prize money for each team

Citeh have completely rigged the game in their favour, no other club currently is immune from injuries during a season, while Citeh always have a world class back-up on the bench. It's such an obvious cheat mode, to pay top class players enough money that they accept a part time role. And this in turn delivers results and titles. It's an impressive machine, but entirely built on foundations of dishonesty and cheating. The playing field must be leveled.

The 2nd was scored by the Premier leagues most expensive player.

The 3rd by the most wanted player in world football that really only 1 other club could potentially afford. 

With 4 minutes left they brought on a £45 million player to see out time. 

They should walk this league every single year with their level of financial cheating. 

It will be another massive stain on the history of the league when they win the title with all these charges still hanging over them. 

I'm trying to think of another sport or football league where this has happened. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The 2nd was scored by the Premier leagues most expensive player.

The 3rd by the most wanted player in world football that really only 1 other club could potentially afford. 

With 4 minutes left they brought on a £45 million player to see out time. 

They should walk this league every single year with their level of financial cheating. 

It will be another massive stain on the history of the league when they win the title with all these charges still hanging over them. 

I'm trying to think of another sport or football league where this has happened. 

Barcelona and Real Madrid have been doing it for decades.

It may not be "cheating" as blatantly as Man City, but there have been plenty of dodgy deals and money injections with the Spanish clubs to keep them at the top.

1579869310_727295_1579869453_noticia_nor

Was this really that much different?

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It may not be "cheating" as blatantly as Man City, but there have been plenty of dodgy deals and money injections with the Spanish clubs to keep them at the top.

No, I agree others have probably done it. 

I meant more have a team won the title whilst having official charges hanging over them?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Very different circumstances - the sheer influence Barca and Real hold over La Liga is a stain on the game. The corruption in Madrid to benefit Real on a political level is staggering. Barca also massively benefit from favourable conditions. Different circumstances but yes the money pumped into both clubs has a political dimension. The big difference is that you a sportswashing nation state pumping unlimited money via illegal and nefarious means. It's cheating on steroids. Allowing Real and Barca to dictate their tv deals was rigging the competition for clubs already commanding the game in Spain. City did nothing of note until the money came in. They outspent everyone in a record amount of time and the league needed to find the evidence. The allegations and cheating is unparalleled and incomparable to anything we've anything we've seen in football. And I say that as someone who hates Real Madrid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Very different circumstances - the sheer influence Barca and Real hold over La Liga is a stain on the game. The corruption in Madrid to benefit Real on a political level is staggering. Barca also massively benefit from favourable conditions. Different circumstances but yes the money pumped into both clubs has a political dimension. The big difference is that you a sportswashing nation state pumping unlimited money via illegal and nefarious means. It's cheating on steroids. Allowing Real and Barca to dictate their tv deals was rigging the competition for clubs already commanding the game in Spain. City did nothing of note until the money came in. They outspent everyone in a record amount of time and the league needed to find the evidence. The allegations and cheating is unparalleled and incomparable to anything we've anything we've seen in football. And I say that as someone who hates Real Madrid. 

Oh I know it's different. And City are worse. Just saying it's not new for teams to have loads of money through "dodgy" methods and hoovering up the best players in the world

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I know it's different. And City are worse. Just saying it's not new for teams to have loads of money through "dodgy" methods and hoovering up the best players in the world

Yeah, please don’t think I was criticising :) I agree with a lot of what you said. Those corrupt **** at Madrid would love to do what city did tbh. 

• Like 1

It puzzles me that the "media" aren't giving man city a hard time.

This morning on radio 4 reporting on last night's game, the reporter (and I paraphrase)..."city are developing a siege mentality...its them against everyone and its working well for them"...

I was waiting for the next sentence which never came which should have been something like "despite being charged for over 100 offences of alleged financial fraud and therefore gaining an advantage over the rest of the premier league clubs"

• Like 4

Â