Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Barcelona and Real Madrid have been doing it for decades.

It may not be "cheating" as blatantly as Man City, but there have been plenty of dodgy deals and money injections with the Spanish clubs to keep them at the top.

1579869310_727295_1579869453_noticia_nor

Was this really that much different?

PSG absolutely MUST be doing the same thing as City right now.

• Like 1

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

PSG absolutely MUST be doing the same thing as City right now.

Yeah you'd think so.

I Imagine lots of clubs are, but to lesser extents.

Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if we've done some dodgy stuff as well. Obviously not on this scale, and that's not a defence of anything City or anyone else has done.

But we have money. And clubs with money will always be looking at ways to get that money into the club

36 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

It puzzles me that the "media" aren't giving man city a hard time.

Hahaha to listen their fans you'd think the media are launching a disgustingly unjust hate campaign against them that is poisoning the minds of everyone else against their lovely, perfect whiter than white club.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

It doesnt make it acceptable though

Agreed but unless you want villa to stay as they are as a nothing club that makes the numbers what you expect? The owners are not going to keep using their own money to fund the club. People need to be realistic. Same with ticket prices being raised.

I wouldnt want to do it the city way but  i think doing things with vitoria only benefits us. Sawiris and Edens have been the best thing thats happened to this club vitoria fans should be excited. Just cant believe there is some negatively from our own fans of this 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Very different circumstances - the sheer influence Barca and Real hold over La Liga is a stain on the game. The corruption in Madrid to benefit Real on a political level is staggering. Barca also massively benefit from favourable conditions. Different circumstances but yes the money pumped into both clubs has a political dimension. The big difference is that you a sportswashing nation state pumping unlimited money via illegal and nefarious means. It's cheating on steroids. Allowing Real and Barca to dictate their tv deals was rigging the competition for clubs already commanding the game in Spain. City did nothing of note until the money came in. They outspent everyone in a record amount of time and the league needed to find the evidence. The allegations and cheating is unparalleled and incomparable to anything we've anything we've seen in football. And I say that as someone who hates Real Madrid. 

How many times has the Spanish government bailed Real Madrid out?

And these sportswashing nations you keep telling us about have a look which two western nations have the biggest arms deals with them?

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

How many times has the Spanish government bailed Real Madrid out?

And these sportswashing nations you keep telling us about have a look which two western nations have the biggest arms deals with them?

Taking the corruption within the politics of Madrid out of context isn’t helping your point. 

Nor will I indulge more whataboutery, but these states have their agency and their own political agendas to push. Yes, we sell arms (a great moral stain) but equally, the UK gov doesn’t dictate the laws of UAE and their multiple human rights abuses and treatment of migrant workers and LGBT rights. The very purpose of sportswashing is to use the capital of the state to improve its image abroad. They should not have as much power in the game as they do. The point is you can be critical of both failures and corruption but Madrid and Man City are very different scales of the issue. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Agreed but unless you want villa to stay as they are as a nothing club that makes the numbers what you expect? The owners are not going to keep using their own money to fund the club. People need to be realistic. Same with ticket prices being raised.

I wouldnt want to do it the city way but  i think doing things with vitoria only benefits us. Sawiris and Edens have been the best thing thats happened to this club vitoria fans should be excited. Just cant believe there is some negatively from our own fans of this 

There's a huge difference between what clubs are doing. 

Man City have nearly a decade of fraud and inflated spending on a scale like no other. 

And that has then impacted on multiple clubs, managers and players. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There's a huge difference between what clubs are doing. 

Man City have nearly a decade of fraud and inflated spending on a scale like no other. 

And that has then impacted on multiple clubs, managers and players. 

I wasnt defending what city are doibg more what villa are doing

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The 2nd was scored by the Premier leagues most expensive player.

The 3rd by the most wanted player in world football that really only 1 other club could potentially afford. 

With 4 minutes left they brought on a £45 million player to see out time. 

Problem with City is they've used their financial doping not just to improve their team beyond competition, but they have also took the soul out of other Premier League teams for "squad players".

Their 2nd goalscorer was a up and coming teams heart, soul, best player who left to be a cog in the city wheel.

The 45 million pound player who plays for just 4 minutes and in the occasional carabao cup game was Leeds United tallisman, captain and best player.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Problem with City is they've used their financial doping not just to improve their team beyond competition, but they have also took the soul out of other Premier League teams for "squad players".

Their 2nd goalscorer was a up and coming teams heart, soul, best player who left to be a cog in the city wheel.

The 45 million pound player who plays for just 4 minutes and in the occasional carabao cup game was Leeds United tallisman, captain and best player.

In City slight defence on this other teams have been guilty of that in the past. Bayern Munich the biggest culprits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

So reports that Barcelona have been paying off refs all the way back to Peps time there. 

His legacy is certainly taking a hit at the moment. 

The Chelsea 2009 game immediately springs to mind

Pretty sure was an allegation about some doctors around that time. Have always said he was the Lance Armstrong of football

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Have they been forgiven already, shows how easily people forget, a few days ago there were demands for them to be relegated and have their trophies taken away, the way this thread was getting post after post I thought something was actually going to happen and people would never forget.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Chelsea 2009 game immediately springs to mind

Pretty sure was an allegation about some doctors around that time. Have always said he was the Lance Armstrong of football

Something about the blood samples being destroyed if I remember correctly. Billion dollar EnhancePEPtide. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Taking the corruption within the politics of Madrid out of context isn’t helping your point. 

Nor will I indulge more whataboutery, but these states have their agency and their own political agendas to push. Yes, we sell arms (a great moral stain) but equally, the UK gov doesn’t dictate the laws of UAE and their multiple human rights abuses and treatment of migrant workers and LGBT rights. The very purpose of sportswashing is to use the capital of the state to improve its image abroad. They should not have as much power in the game as they do. The point is you can be critical of both failures and corruption but Madrid and Man City are very different scales of the issue. 

Whataboutery it’s not. It’s facts. How the Eff do you think these regimes stay in power? If USA and Britain wasn’t protecting them then they would have been removed decades ago. And they’d have nothing to do with football. 

The UK has continued to support air strikes by Saudi Arabia and its coalition partners in Yemen, in spite of overwhelming evidence of repeated breaches of international humanitarian law by the coalition……..

The UK is one of Saudi Arabia’s leading arms suppliers, along with the US. It is also a major supplier of arms to the United Arab Emirates, another country in the coalition that is bombing Yemen.

https://caat.org.uk/homepage/stop-arming-saudi-arabia/uk-arms-to-saudi-arabia/

Edited by Sulberto21

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Whataboutery it’s not. It’s facts. How the Eff do you think these regimes stay in power? If USA and Britain wasn’t protecting them then they would have been removed decades ago. And they’d have nothing to do with football. 

https://caat.org.uk/homepage/stop-arming-saudi-arabia/uk-arms-to-saudi-arabia/

The fact that the UK Gov sell arms to Saudi Arabia isn't a justifiable reason for people not to attack City's financial doping.

It's deplorable that the UK Gov does this but the large part of this forum is firmly against the UK Gov and what it's up to.

More fundamentally, two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 3

Â