Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

Hang on? How are hard-working gut-busting effort putters-in NOT what we need? Our problem is lack of effort, drive and ambition by the team, not too many athletes.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier signed Bradley, took a look at him and didn't really play him and neither did Macallister once we were safe and there was no risk.

thought the rumour was Randy signed him as a favour to his old man

Plenty of our US followers were doing similar about young Bradley last season but he just wasn't good enough.

different situation for me, a signing mid-season from a different league will always be difficult to get used to pace of game look at Makoun or Dzeko. Also he wasnt playing at Monchengladbach regularly so his fitness wasnt great to throw in. He is a very good player and his performance vs Xavi and Iniesta in COnfederations Cup in 2009 was absolute amazing, had a decent world cup as well

I too thought Bradley didn't have as much time as needed to try and blend in. Makoun got more but still has a lot of adapting to do should he stay, which I don't think he will.

Bradley largely didn't play because at the time we were facing relegation and Houllier was not going to stuff around with his experienced NRC/Petrov combination to blood a player who needed to find his feet - given that Makoun was also in the queue and not getting games.

To be honest I'd be pretty sure Bradley would be pretty much a regular for us now had we paid the option on him. Still, his loss is Herdy's gain, so I'm happy enough.

Aussie mate at work was raving about him today.

Good luck to him. Way l see it is if it works out for him here it's good news for us!

Plenty of our US followers were doing similar about young Bradley last season but he just wasn't good enough.

I'm not saying the same will happen with Holman, I've no idea about him as a player all I'm saying is that just because a few Aussie fans are raving about him it doesn't really mean a great deal.

Seriously, the guy played 3 games in a Villa shirt. The one full game he played was the FA Cup demolition by City. How you managed to extrapolate 'not good enough' is beyond me.

I think I've finally grasped the point of this thread. It is clearly part of a bet to see if Villatalk can be reduced to a laughing stock in a few short pages.

Arguments I particularly like are:

He looks crap on Youtube :confused:

He won't be any good because people said Bradley would be good and he wasn't :confused: :confused:

An Ajax fan says he isn't much good :confused: :confused: :confused:

Congrats to romavillan and VillaAlex who just watched him actually play a game and saw he was quite good in very difficult circumstances.

You do realise you're putting the bet at risk, though, don't you? :lol:

ah soz, ginger clearing in the woods, mcleish out, lerner out, we deserve to win the champions league and these muppets are stopping that happening. holman rubbish, free signings will end up costing us money. um. something bad. ah. bannan is woefull, as are all the kids. um. that's about it isn't it? or do i need to say something about rodgers and lambert? i forgot faulkner. sorry. must do better.

some people on here seriously need a wake up call.

we've got an established international at his peak for free, and he will be on relatively low wages.

the fact that people don't know who he is shows more ignorance of the game outside the UK, rather than the size of his profile (or ability).

Throw in some appropriate capital letters :winkold: and the man makes a very valid point!

Thanks brommy, no time for punctuation when ranting!! :D

This league might suit him because he is a strong guy with a good desire to support attacks rather than carry them; basically a Heskey replacement which means we know what tactic is coming next year.

Sad times but a plan at the least...

I'm not quite sure how a 5'9" quasi-winger is basically a Heskey replacement.

It is a tactical replacement not a player for player replacement.

yeah that was a nice pass, seems to be popping up on both flanks, not sure if down to 10 men though. he looks quite tidy :)

That is Brett's game in a nutshell. They guy is everywhere, constantly working for an opportunity and creating space by constantly pulling the opposition defense out of shape.

As some have mentioned earlier in this thread it might be an replacement for Ireland. And I have to say I'm getting a little bit suspicious of that after the OS's Bosnich on Holman article. Kinda reminds on the PR thing they did with Ferguson on McLeish.

The double League Cup-winning goalkeeper now works as a TV pundit for Fox Sports and has watched Holman in action for the Socceroos on many occasions.

And he reckons the 27-year-old midfielder has the ability to create chances galore for the likes of Bent and Agbonlahor.

But Bosnich joked that Holman needs to ditch the Dutch accent he has developed during a 10-year stint in the Eredivisie.

"His best position is playing in behind the strikers," said Bosnich. "He is an intelligent player and it allows him to thread passes through to the strikers.

"It will take him a bit of time to adjust to the pace of the Premier League but he will.

"I would like to see him playing in behind Darren Bent and Gabby Agbonlahor because they could really do some damage.

"With their pace, Brett is the ideal person to link up the play and get the ball through to them.