What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Total War: Shogun 2. Bloody brilliant. I had forgotten how bloody good the Total War games could be. Utterly captivating. It's a very interesting period of Japanese history as well. Really looking forward to Total War: Rome II now. :)

ON a random note, I got GTA III and a copy of Greenday's greatest hits (don't know why!) for the same birthday. So spent about 2 weeks just playing GTA and listening to that album.

Even to this day if I hear any greenday song I get an incredible sense of deja vu, for some reason specifically the memory of driving around the airport on GTA3.

Weird.

This happens to me with games and certiain music too - Punk's entrance in WWE at the moment is Cult of Personality, right? That always takes me back to GTA SA. And any tracks from Placebo's third (I think) album always remind me of Final Fantasy IX!

Did anyone who had Sky back in the day (about 10-12 years ago I think) ever watch that game channel they had? It was a channel that had very poor production values and it had an English guy and an Italian woman as the presenters. They did some shows but a lot of it was just gameplay trailers set to music. Well they had a show where the English guy played through some games and GTA III was one of them and I was just in awe of how amazing it looked. They also had an online MMORPG type game called Myth of Soma is memory serves, and he would play on that sometimes too. It wasn't the greatest channel in the world, but it was a games channel so naturally I loved it. Anyone remember it or remember what it was called? Considering how many shit channels there are on Sky, I wish there was another games channel on TV. I guess it's a lot cheaper to just have a website though.

Haha Game Network. Had forgotten all about that. I used to love the random game clip paired with dodgy european heavy metal. Wasn't the game they used promote Legends of Mir? Bettina was the fit bird who used to present it along with some skinny little guy called Carl? 

Xcom, but I just uninstalled it because it's the most bullshit unfair  game I've ever played. Video games  :angry:

Really? I loved Xcom. It can be really tough, but if you push pass the earlier levels, it is much easier once you've upgraded your soldiers and weapons a bit.

Xcom, but I just uninstalled it because it's the most bullshit unfair  game I've ever played. Video games  :angry:

Really? I loved Xcom. It can be really tough, but if you push pass the earlier levels, it is much easier once you've upgraded your soldiers and weapons a bit.

There's a difference between tough and unfair. Missing 93% shots, getting picked off from across the map constantly, rockets and grenades not hitting their target when there are no obstructions in the way, I could go on but I don't waste my time with games that frustrate me.

Game Network?

That's the one! I always remember watching the extended trailer for MGS2 on that channel. It was shit, but in brilliant way (the channel, not MGS2).

On GTA3 I just used to listen to Lazlow all the time. That was hilarious

Same! But Lazlow on GTIV was a bit of a disappointment so I listened to the other talk shows instead, especially the one that Bill Hader did a voice on, the one where they discuss medicine and the crazy hollistics guy winds up trying to perform trepanning on everyone :D

I loved the bit on Chatterbox on GTAIII where Lazlow talked to Fernando Martinez who was essentially a pimp. That always cracked me up.

Edited by Ginko

Haha Game Network. Had forgotten all about that. I used to love the random game clip paired with dodgy european heavy metal. Wasn't the game they used promote Legends of Mir? Bettina was the fit bird who used to present it along with some skinny little guy called Carl? 

Yeah that's it! I think you're right, they did promote Legends of Mir but then they came out with a new one called Myth of Soma and Carl was the guy who did the playthroughs and stuff. Bettina was quite hot, I wonder what she's up to now...

EDIT - Holy shit, I just wiki'd Game Network and apparently it's still on Sky under a different name...

Babestation :blink:

They dropped all the gaming stuff and just concentrate on the semi-naked ladies instead. I kind of wish they did both.

Edited by Ginko

DMC

i like it, its feels like a return to the action of the 1st game, the platforming bits are overly fiddly and there are too many of them IMO i wont replay the levels and try and discover everything cos i cant be bothered with the grapple hooks / jumping about, but the smashing them up in the air, shooting them for a bit, jumping up slashing them a few times before letting them land and bringing an axe down on them to finish them is as good as its ever been

Game Network?

That's the one! I always remember watching the extended trailer for MGS2 on that channel. It was shit, but in brilliant way (the channel, not MGS2).

On GTA3 I just used to listen to Lazlow all the time. That was hilarious

Same! But Lazlow on GTIV was a bit of a disappointment so I listened to the other talk shows instead, especially the one that Bill Hader did a voice on, the one where they discuss medicine and the crazy hollistics guy winds up trying to perform trepanning on everyone :D

I loved the bit on Chatterbox on GTAIII where Lazlow talked to Fernando Martinez who was essentially a pimp. That always cracked me up.

Yeah, post GTAIII Lazlow wasn't great.

But chatterbox was superb. I genuinely just parked up somewhere one day and listened to the whole hour.

That coupled with the aforementioned greenday comment makes me look like a bit of a loser doesn't it?!

Nope, in fact I did pretty much the same. I purchased International Superhits! around that sort of time and I used to play GTAIII listening to that, Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP, Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water, and A's Hi-fi Serious :P

I quite like Lazlow on V-Rock in Vice City, but he didn't have as much dialogue since he was on a music station. I loved the interview with Love Fist on K-Chat though. Those guys rocked! The four Scottish horsemen of the apocalypse! Four boys against your face!

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

If you thought linking songs to GTA was weird, how about this...

At the time I started playing GTAIII, I bought these novelty air fresheners, one was chocolate and the other was... I have no idea, but it smelt good, I can't describe what it was, it was kind of it's own smell.

Anyway, I shared my bedroom with my brother at the time who is a smoker and so our bedroom would sometimes smell bad so before I'd play, I'd give that a spray.

A couple of years after, my sister's friend was round and was wearing some perfume or something that smelt just like that air freshner and I thought to myself "She smells like Grand Theft Auto". :D

• Like 4

Dude! I know exactly what you mean. My brother used to have the old playstation in his room and when he was an awkward 15 year old he would wear Lynx Inca all the damn time. I associate that smell with 'Gran Turismo', 'Croc' (the worst platformer) and a demo copy of 'Pandemonium!'

• Like 1

Nope, in fact I did pretty much the same. I purchased International Superhits! around that sort of time and I used to play GTAIII listening to that, Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP, Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water, and A's Hi-fi Serious :P

Holy Shit.

Are you, in fact, me?

I had all those albums. "A" were underrated :D

Holy Shit.

Are you, in fact, me?

I had all those albums. "A" were underrated :D

Nah, I'm that guy who always stalked you in HMV, the one breathing down your neck with my hand down my pants as you sifted through the CD racks.

'A' were definitely underrated, probably why they were always screaming: "Gimme some love!"

I used to listen to Leftover Crack and Capdown when playing GTAIII... :unsure:

You always have to be different, don't you?

Â