coda

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

De Zerbi and Amorim seems to be the names linked. Knowing Boehly he will just follow who Liverpool are trying to sign

I actually think Lopetegui would be a smart move.

Doesn't play hugely exciting football but he made Wolves far more solid once they got in Dawson and Lemina (Chelsea badly need experienced players like that in those positions).

Also managed Porto, Real Madrid and Spain national team so not like challenge of Chelsea would faze him and he certainly wouldn't be complaining of the budget.

Another wildcard option would be Marco Silva five minutes down the road. Went wrong for him at Everton but he understood this, took six months out of the game and on the whole has done a fantastic job at Fulham. I thought they'd really struggle against relegation this season after losing Mitrovic but mid table and could finish above Chelsea again, Signed a new deal at Fulham but I assume there's a reasonable buy out clause.

Edited by VillaChris

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I actually think Lopetegui would be a smart move.

Doesn't play hugely exciting football but he made Wolves far more solid once they got in Dawson and Lemina (Chelsea badly need experienced players like that in those positions).

Also managed Porto, Real Madrid and Spain national team so not like challenge of Chelsea would faze him and he certainly wouldn't be complaining of the budget.

Another wildcard option would be Marco Silva five minutes down the road. Went wrong for him at Everton but he understood this, took six months out of the game and on the whole has done a fantastic job at Fulham. I thought they'd really struggle against relegation this season after losing Mitrovic but mid table and could finish above Chelsea again, Signed a new deal at Fulham but I assume there's a reasonable buy out clause.

Lopetegui was a failure at Real and Porto. He must be the only Porto manager in history to not win a trophy after managing them 2 seasons and Real he was a disaster

Chelsea £90m loss announced for 22/23.

The previous year was £121m loss in 21/22.

This current season will probably be a loss as well.

What we don’t know is how much counts towards the £105m 3-year PSR limit.

However they did increase revenue to £513m and that’s before their ‘sister’ company sponsored them megabucks for this current season.

Edited by ender4

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

However they did increase revenue to £513m, even without playing in Europe, and before their sister company sponsored them megabucks for this current season.

Getting 50m for playing in the club World cup at end of the season which is very annoying.

Them possibly being in breach next season has been the topic of a few different media segments (by contrast, for all the concern about our own situation, I haven't seen any concern in the media about it). 

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

However they did increase revenue to £513m and that’s before their ‘sister’ company sponsored them megabucks for this current season.

Presumably some decent profit in 20/21?

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Presumably some decent profit in 20/21?

20/21 was a weird year because that had the Covid merge of 2 years added together plus I think most clubs made a loss but were allowed to discount a lot of that for PSR purposes.

But the current 3 year cycle is:

21/22 - £121m loss

22/23 - £90m loss

23/24 - feels like it will be a loss unless they sell players before June 30th.  No European matches, probably finishing 8-10th. 

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

20/21 was a weird year because that had the Covid merge of 2 years added together plus I think most clubs made a loss but were allowed to discount a lot of that for PSR purposes.

But the current 3 year cycle is:

21/22 - £121m loss

22/23 - £90m loss

23/24 - feels like it will be a loss unless they sell players before June 30th.  No European matches, probably finishing 8-10th. 

Surely it’s a rolling 3 year cycle rather than set years?

Just now, bobzy said:

Surely it’s a rolling 3 year cycle rather than set years?

Yes it is.

We already know they were compliant for the previous 3 year period otherwise they’d have got a charge the same time as Everton and Forest. 

I’m talking about the current 3 year period which is 21/22, 22/23 and 23/24.  We won’t know how they have done until December 2024 when every club has to submit to the PL under their new timescales. 

They might also have a problem for 22/23, 23/24 and 24/25… but they have time to sort that out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

23/24 - feels like it will be a loss unless they sell players before June 30th.  No European matches, probably finishing 8-10th. 

They'll have to sell Gallagher to balance the books. 

On 05/03/2024 at 19:55, T-Dog said:

The weird thing is - Poch, Tuchel and Jose are all world class managers - 

What exactly has Poch done in management to get a “world class” label?

• Like 2

Looks like they’ve just solved their PSR issues for next year.  Their airline sponsorship deal with Oman Air has been cancelled today. Lots of rumours they have agreed a mega deal with Riyadh Air.  

Riyadh Air are owned by PIF, PIF are also the funders for Clearlake Capital who just happens to own Chelsea!

Easy money!

Edited by ender4

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Looks like they’ve just solved their PSR issues for next year.  Their shirt sponsorship deal with Oman Air has been cancelled today. Lots of rumours they have agreed a mega deal with Riyadh Air. 

It's not a shirt sponsorship deal, Oman Air were paying them £2m a season to be their 'official airline partner'.

Their shirt sponsor is a made up nothing company that seemed to appear out of nowhere and find £40m a season for Chelsea despite never making any money. Funny that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

They'll have to sell Gallagher to balance the books. 

I don't think he'll be enough on his own, think they'll need to sell 2 or 3. The problem they've got is everyone knows they're desperate, so no one is going to want to over-pay for any of these players. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think he'll be enough on his own, think they'll need to sell 2 or 3. The problem they've got is everyone knows they're desperate, so no one is going to want to over-pay for any of these players. 

They've got 30m coming in for Lewis Hall (although he's hardly played at Newcastle and Howe was a bit non-committal about the deal in the press conference).

Not sure how Maatsen is getting on at Dortmund but Burnley were bidding 25m for him in August.

They'll be o.k for now.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They've got 30m coming in for Lewis Hall (although he's hardly played at Newcastle and Howe was a bit non-committal about the deal in the press conference).

Not sure how Maatsen is getting on at Dortmund but Burnley were bidding 25m for him in August.

They'll be o.k for now.

They supposedly need this money before the end of June, ie before the window even opens.

We'll see, but my bet is they are not going to be okay, and are going to be in breach of the rules (unless the rules change substantially)

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

They supposedly need this money before the end of June, ie before the window even opens.

We'll see, but my bet is they are not going to be okay, and are going to be in breach of the rules (unless the rules change substantially)

in before they change FFP to a salary based system (salary to turnover) only, and if you arent in Europe you dont actually need to adhere to it, so now, Chelsea, who arent in Europe, and it has no negative effects on them at all, but they can keep spending because their turnover is so high, they will just need to sell some players before the next time they get in to europe.

.....or something something something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

What exactly has Poch done in management to get a “world class” label?

One of footballs great myths, he is ok at most. Spurs had a golden spell in Spurs history under him and won nothing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One of footballs great myths, he is ok at most. Spurs had a golden spell in Spurs history under him and won nothing

Flopped at PSG and still got the Chelsea job and a blank cheque where he has flopped again.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Man United hired him.

• Like 1

Â