coda

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Why would 6 additional games (anything extra is a bonus) necessarily mean that we will drop places?

We’ve been able to rotate for the Conference League.  If we qualify for the Champions League we will be one of the weakest and least experienced squads in the competition and every game will be a case of the strongest XI playing at their best to be competitive. It will be a concern, but it’s something we’ve got to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard to say if we'll drop places or not but you can definitley see how small Newcastles squad is, that's why they've dropped off, it's also not so much the extra games it's the injuries and suspensions, they have no squad management as a result which is then compounded by the high intensity they play 

I still think Chelseas demise is premature, they'll flog some dead wood to the Saudis, slowly start to sort their heads out and then some of this young talent will start to break through, they're doing what arsenal did, the only shining light here is FFP, the owner potentially being rash and sacking poch and their first team scouts buying the likes of Jackson and mudryk saying they're not very good and sensible signings are beyond them 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

We’ve been able to rotate for the Conference League.  If we qualify for the Champions League we will be one of the weakest and least experienced squads in the competition and every game will be a case of the strongest XI playing at their best to be competitive. It will be a concern, but it’s something we’ve got to do. 

That depends on what we want to do in the CL

And the reality should be a mixture of enjoy ourselves and don't get smashed 

I dont see a year in the CL being a failure if we go out in the groups having played great teams like Newcastle did, the failure is not qualifying again, we're not going to win the CL it shouldn't be our priority 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That depends on what we want to do in the CL

And the reality should be a mixture of enjoy ourselves and don't get smashed 

I dont see a year in the CL being a failure if we go out in the groups having played great teams like Newcastle did, the failure is not qualifying again, we're not going to win the CL it shouldn't be our priority 

I think we need to aim as a minimum for 3rd to drop into Europa but a lot of the random clubs outside of Germany, Italy and Spain aren't any great shakes

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think we need to aim as a minimum for 3rd to drop into Europa but a lot of the random clubs outside of Germany, Italy and Spain aren't any great shakes

the structure is different, its one big 36 (?) team league but we only play 8 games

I think we cant realistically have any targets until we see what the draw is but even then the main aim should just be to enjoy the experience and take each game on its individual merits

still maintain that Newcastle's CL group is what its all about, we aren't going to win it so play the big teams and have some great memorable nights, i don't see that point in playing far flung eastern european teams that are "easier" only to be knocked out in the next round

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

the structure is different, its one big 36 (?) team league but we only play 8 games

I think we cant realistically have any targets until we see what the draw is but even then the main aim should just be to enjoy the experience and take each game on its individual merits

still maintain that Newcastle's CL group is what its all about, we aren't going to win it so play the big teams and have some great memorable nights, i don't see that point in playing far flung eastern european teams that are "easier" only to be knocked out in the next round

More wins = more money.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

they're doing what arsenal did, 

The only similarity between Chelsea and Arsenal's rebuilds is getting rid of high earners. Since Arteta came in the transfer policy at Arsenal has been a good mix of youth and experience. And it's hard to argue that they paid over the odds for any of the young players they've signed (except maybe Fabio Vieira). Chelsea on the other hand have blown a ridiculous amount on young players with high ceilings but with no sense of how to fit them all together. And there are very few experienced players left to guide them or foster a winning mentality.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I still maintain that Newcastle's CL group is what its all about, we aren't going to win it so play the big teams and have some great memorable nights, i don't see that point in playing far flung eastern european teams that are "easier" only to be knocked out in the next round

If Emery got Villareal to a Champions league semi final, beating Juventus and Bayern in the process, then why couldn't he do similar with us?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Why would 6 additional games (anything extra is a bonus) necessarily mean that we will drop places?

Newcastle dropped places because they had crazy injuries, poorer squad, manager that is not as good. 

It's such a self fulfilling prophecy. It would be very optimistic to assume we will do this well next year - and that is just because we are in a touching distance of top of the league 23 games in. 

But just because we have to travel to Spain or Italy 3 times in 3 months does not mean we will necessarily drop places. 

The games we'll play in the CL will be of a far higher intensity than what we've played so far in europa.

No idea on the new format but Newcastle were in a group with Dortmund, PSG and AC Milan so suspect we'll get a similar range of opponents and that quality of opposition will take far more out of us than Mostar and Alkmaar.

We'll also have to play our strongest team in every CL game to be competitive. Also won't have as many Sunday games as Newcastle played more regularly in the Saturday half 5 slot than on a Sunday.

So combined I think we'll drop 5-10 points on whatever we finish on this season.

One thing's for sure, Ollie I'm sure will continue to be defy gravity with his fitness but we are really going to need a decent back up for him as far too risky to be demanding he plays high intensity games every three days pretty much.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm guessing it's a bit like that old europa format when we were in it in 2008, we just played Ajax at home but no away match and instead had Hamburg away so alternating. That was a pretty cool group we were drawn in but would be annoying if we got AC Milan and only played them at home as desperately want to go to the San Siro before it's knocked down.

14 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Why are people talking about the CL like it's not totally different next season?

Its one group of 32 teams with 8 games per team. Top 8 go through to last 16 automatically and the 9th to 24th placed teams play off to join them. 

The bottom 8 get knocked out.

There is no "3rd place for Europa" and it's definitely not just 6 games.

Chelsea fans on twitter actively rooting for us to put 5 past them.

Hoping the squad mentality is the same as their fan mentality right now.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

£1.8bn worth of footballers aren't as bad as lad bible made them out to be

Dropping Sterling helps, he misses so many key chances for them.

Seems he's on a 5 year deal so he'll be another impossible to shift unless a Saudi club fancies him as a big name signing.

Â