Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

‘I had hoped to extend Marc’s loan until January, but unfortunately Villa have been in touch and said they are recalling him. Villa are his club, and if he goes back there and plays in the Barclays Premier League, then fine. If he doesn’t, he will become frustrated again, so we will keep an eye on that and maybe look at it again in the coming months.

‘I can’t speak highly enough of him, as a player and as a person. He is a great lad. Even though he knew he was going back, he still came in today and joined in training with the rest of the lads. That says everything about him.

‘He loved it here and wanted to stay, but equally he wants to be in the Premier League. He enjoyed being part of the group here and made a favourable impact on everyone. The way he conducted himself was exemplary.’

http://tinyurl.com/nacrzce

• Like 1

Maybe he just wants him back because we are suffering a few injuries at the moment and the squad is a bit thin, so he will be on the bench, rather than any positive plan to put him in the side. Still, it's good news if Lambert is still thinking of him.He was so good when he first came into the first team, it would be great if he could recover that form.

• Like 1

How is the attacking side of the  squad thin, we had 3 strikers on the bench the other night! The reality is if Marc is getting back into the team it will be as one of the front trio players and I don't see a problem, in depth there.

I really don't understand this, recalling him to just maybe sit on the bench for a game or two when he's starting games for Wigan and also playing Europa league.

I've always liked Albrighton. He'd offer us some natural width which we're really lacking at the minute. Tonev on the left, Albrighton on the right and Kozak up front on his own. Give Benteke a rest to get fully fit. Just whip balls into Kozak all game. 

With the greatest of respect,do you really think we'd win many premier league games with that as our front three? It's hardly going to strike fear into the heart of the best defences in the league.

As much as I've been critical at times of Gaby and Weimann this season, give me our regular trio anytime as on a good day they do strike fear into most defences.

• Like 1

How is the attacking side of the  squad thin, we had 3 strikers on the bench the other night! The reality is if Marc is getting back into the team it will be as one of the front trio players and I don't see a problem, in depth there.

I really don't understand this, recalling him to just maybe sit on the bench for a game or two when he's starting games for Wigan and also playing Europa league.

Albrighton will probably get games for us if we're playing 4-4-2 with Kozak and Benteke up top.

I personally don't know why we don't go with Bacuna at right wing and Lowton at right back but either way we have very few wingers if any at all so having Albrighton back makes sense if we're going ahead with the 2 big lads.

I suppose 4-4-2 is a possibility....imo that would be Gabby on the left, Marc on the right and Benteke and Kozak/Weimann upfront. He went pretty cavaliar for the Everton game, playing the front trio + Tonev floating around and we created shed loads in that first half so maybe all out attack at home is worth it.

I just don't see us going down to Soutampton and playing 4-4-2 or at Fulham or indeed home to Man. United so unless Marc has a stormer he'll be back on the bench soon enough as there are simply better players available to us as forward options.

I suppose 4-4-2 is a possibility....imo that would be Gabby on the left, Marc on the right and Benteke and Kozak/Weimann upfront. He went pretty cavaliar for the Everton game, playing the front trio + Tonev floating around and we created shed loads in that first half so maybe all out attack at home is worth it.

I just don't see us going down to Soutampton and playing 4-4-2 or at Fulham or indeed home to Man. United so unless Marc has a stormer he'll be back on the bench soon enough as there are simply better players available to us as forward options.

But as you say at the end there, at least we have options! 

I think if we play Kozak and Benteke together up front then we need wingers to provide service to them, if they aren't playing together then we can go 4-3-3 with Gabby, Benteke and Weimann or even 5-3-2 with Benteke and Gabby/Weimann.

Options are always good though, but it seems like Lambert does want to persist with Benteke and Kozak together so he might want somebody who can put a good cross in.

Guess we'll see soon enough anyway!

I've always liked Albrighton. He'd offer us some natural width which we're really lacking at the minute. Tonev on the left, Albrighton on the right and Kozak up front on his own. Give Benteke a rest to get fully fit. Just whip balls into Kozak all game. 

With the greatest of respect,do you really think we'd win many premier league games with that as our front three? It's hardly going to strike fear into the heart of the best defences in the league.

As much as I've been critical at times of Gaby and Weimann this season, give me our regular trio anytime as on a good day they do strike fear into most defences.

Well considering they're not fit and couldn't last more than 25minutes last time out it might be a good idea to rest them for another game? Not worth risking another injury, if it's not working, they can always come on. 

Even if it what I said keeps it at 0-0 til 60/70 minutes we will have players who can come on and change the game like against WBA. Our next game is Sunderland. We may just get something out of it with a weakened team.

Edited by PieFacE

Absolutely nothing to read into this at the moment. His loan is expiring. We don't know if he is coming back because he is being "recalled" or Wigan are still deciding whether they want him longer term or Wigan don't want him or we just want him back as cover.

But I think if Lambert was seriously considering starting him he would not have sent him to Wigan in the first place. I don't think he rates him. His contract is up in the summer and doesn't look like it will be renewed.

Errrr no.

Errr...aren't you cheery?

Obviously the Coyle interview now confirms we did recall him. I think he's there for cover and stand by what I said: I think if Lambert was seriously considering starting him he would not have sent him to Wigan in the first place. I don't think he rates him. His contract is up in the summer and doesn't look like it will be renewed.

Watching him now during the Brighton game.

Positives:

Easily the best crosser on the pitch

Disciplined. Keeping his position to the inch. No wonder Coyle loves him.

Beat his man by trickery a few times

Negatives:

Low energy, several times the camera has every player running on the pitch except one, Marc. Emerson Boyce (age 34) has twice the energy marc does.

Poor pace. For someone who plays on the wing he struggles beating his man for pace. Has to rely on his skill.

Poor tackles. I cant remember Marc tackling anyone, ever.

He is replaced by McClean and Albrighton looks much better in comparison. Wigan immediately become much worse as McClean takes himself out of the game by hugging the touchline unlike Marc who plays a far effective game using all of the wing.

All of Brighton's attacks now coming down the wing with McLean on , clearly targeting that wing now Marc is off. Smart, I have to say Coyle made a mistake subbing him, in particular for a weak/erratic player like McClean.

Game over.

Still not sure Marc is ready for our team, McClean continues to be awful and Holt is a thug.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

good that he's back.... marc is a top lad, both on and off the pitch.... model professional, and as always, i'd love him to have a long and successful career at the villa.... having seen tonev's performances for the last couple of weeks, am sure he's chomping at the bit for a run, and if he's turning in MOTM performances at Wigan, who were in the premier league last season, that's good enough for me....

welcome back and good luck, sharky...

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing to read into this at the moment. His loan is expiring. We don't know if he is coming back because he is being "recalled" or Wigan are still deciding whether they want him longer term or Wigan don't want him or we just want him back as cover.

But I think if Lambert was seriously considering starting him he would not have sent him to Wigan in the first place. I don't think he rates him. His contract is up in the summer and doesn't look like it will be renewed.

Errrr no.

Errr...aren't you cheery?

Obviously the Coyle interview now confirms we did recall him. I think he's there for cover and stand by what I said: I think if Lambert was seriously considering starting him he would not have sent him to Wigan in the first place. I don't think he rates him. His contract is up in the summer and doesn't look like it will be renewed.

Our injury problems were worse when we sent him on loan than they are now. If he was wanted purely for cover then he wouldn't have been sent to Wigan at all, he would have been kept as cover.

It seems much more likely that he was sent to Wigan to get some games in and get up to match fitness & speed. Albrighton is young and has a very good attitude, perfect for Lambert. Because of his injuries he's not had a chance to impress Lambert. I think if he remains fit he'll be given that chance.

Watching him now during the Brighton game.

Positives:

Easily the best crosser on the pitch

Disciplined. Keeping his position to the inch. No wonder Coyle loves him.

Beat his man by trickery a few times

Negatives:

Low energy, several times the camera has every player running on the pitch except one, Marc. Emerson Boyce (age 34) has twice the energy marc does.

Poor pace. For someone who plays on the wing he struggles beating his man for pace. Has to rely on his skill.

Poor tackles. I cant remember Marc tackling anyone, ever.

He is replaced by McClean and Albrighton looks much better in comparison. Wigan immediately become much worse as McClean takes himself out of the game by hugging the touchline unlike Marc who plays a far effective game using all of the wing.

All of Brighton's attacks now coming down the wing with McLean on , clearly targeting that wing now Marc is off. Smart, I have to say Coyle made a mistake subbing him, in particular for a weak/erratic player like McClean.

Game over.

Still not sure Marc is ready for our team, McClean continues to be awful and Holt is a thug.

Most of that sounds like the marc we know, low energy could just be getting used to it all again though. He was never really lightning quick anyway was he?

Â