Scottish Independence

maqroll

I don't follow politics at all but how would the Scots getting their independence affect me, a 26-year old white male from the suburbs of central England?

The loss of Labour's 41 Scottish seats and the Lib Dem's 11 would have ensured that the Tories would not have had to form a coalition in 2010.

A Yes vote would severely damage Labour's chances of forming a government in the future, which would ensure that Britain would become more right-wing - more cuts, more privatisations and more austerity.

A Yes vote would probably mean Cameron would be forced to resign, which would strengthen the Tory right.

The loss of 95% of oil revenues to Scotland would mean that UK taxes would have to be increased or further cuts made.

The SNP want to dump their £143bn share of public debt onto the rest of us, which raises our debt to gdp ratio up by 9%, which will make more cuts inevitable and weaken the pound.

A weakening of the pound which would make imports (oil etc) more expensive and lower wages; cheap labour might attract investment and create more jobs.

If banks and other businesses move south then it will benefit us in the long run.

So the loss of Scotland would probably mean our politics would take a step nearer to the American version of conservatism and the country would probably become more prosperous and increasingly more unequal.

The effect might be significant - bad if you are a lefty, good if you are a righty.

• Like 2

The loss of 95% of oil revenues to Scotland would mean that UK taxes would have to be increased or further cuts made.

Hold on.

Haven't the No people been arguing that the Scots would either have to cut more deeply or put up taxes in order to keep the same level of public spending in light of a Yes vote?

If the argument is also that the same applies for the rest of the UK then, ceteris paribus, something does not add up.

• Like 2

I guess the reason being that the rUK would stop funding Scotland as it does now. It'd more or less cancel out and so neither side would gain or lose, but over time Oil revenues will fade, leaving the Scotch worse off, hence the tax or cut thing.

• Like 2

I don't follow politics at all but how would the Scots getting their independence affect me, a 26-year old white male from the suburbs of central England?

The loss of Labour's 41 Scottish seats and the Lib Dem's 11 would have ensured that the Tories would not have had to form a coalition in 2010.

A Yes vote would severely damage Labour's chances of forming a government in the future, which would ensure that Britain would become more right-wing - more cuts, more privatisations and more austerity.

A Yes vote would probably mean Cameron would be forced to resign, which would strengthen the Tory right.

The SNP want to dump their £143bn share of public debt onto the rest of us, which raises our debt to gdp ratio up by 9%, which will make more cuts inevitable and weaken the pound.

A weakening of the pound which would make imports (oil etc) more expensive and lower wages; cheap labour might attract investment and create more jobs.

If banks and other businesses move south then it will benefit us in the long run.

So the loss of Scotland would probably mean our politics would take a step nearer to the American version of conservatism and the country would probably become more prosperous and increasingly more unequal.

The effect might be significant - bad if you are a lefty, good if you are a righty.

Good post but I wonder if there are really enough nutters over here to make American-style conservatism a realistic possibility, at least I hope not. I think the majority of Tory voters are fairly liberal and if they see anything too loopy they'll quite easily swing towards Labour like they did under Blair. I think Labour would have won an English majority back then.

I guess the reason being that the rUK would stop funding Scotland as it does now. It'd more or less cancel out and so neither side would gain or lose, but over time Oil revenues will fade, leaving the Scotch worse off, hence the tax or cut thing.

Yeah that is how I see it although I was under the impression the increased income from the oil revenue was less than the funding therefore the Scotch would be instantly worse off thus the cuts. So as above but more immediate.

(Sorry Donnie)

Hold on.

Haven't the No people been arguing that the Scots would either have to cut more deeply or put up taxes in order to keep the same level of public spending in light of a Yes vote?

If the argument is also that the same applies for the rest of the UK then, ceteris paribus, something does not add up.

I liked this post simply because you used Latin.   :thumb:

• Like 1

Â