The new leader of the Labour Party

Richard

The Mansion Tax is a ridiculous idea though.

I would have to agree, the new stamp duty has already had a large effect on taxing the rich.

Might be the straw to break the donkeys back where you would see a massive exodus of the rich (and their taxable income/spending)

and Ed's  wannabe successor throw a hissy on live TV yesterday  ... true he was kind of hit with an ambush but he has to react better than the way he did , every TV presenter out there is trying to be the new Paxman it shouldn't come a surprise  ...

Mansion tax , well Mandelson is right but lets be honest he's no Myleene Klass  .... but in his haste to appease the left Ed didn't think this tax through and keeps chopping and changing it to the point he'd be better off scrapping it .... I do wonder how it is going to save the NHS though when he is allowing people to defer the payment ... not to mention he seems to have spent the mansion tax about 16 time already

I would have to agree, the new stamp duty has already had a large effect on taxing the rich.

Might be the straw to break the donkeys back where you would see a massive exodus of the rich (and their taxable income/spending)

Good

All these whingeing rich rocket polishers who seem to think £2m only buys you 'a garage' or a 'garden shed' in that London can do one then. If you're that deluded/minted/greedy, then you're very possible one of the numerous uber rich who invest in tax avoidance schemes anyway, so are probably not paying your full whack of taxes anyway.

There's enough foreign oligarchs to buy your property off you if feel the need to sell, and let's face it, the London housing market is ridiculously inflated anyway. Maybe this'll reign it back a bit. If you can afford to buy/live in a £2m + house, you can afford to pay a bit more tax.

and Ed's  wannabe successor throw a hissy on live TV yesterday

Who's that?

Chucky Egg?

Mr Gonads?

yeah Chucky Egg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11355125/Furious-Chuka-Umunna-storms-out-of-Sky-News-interview.html

The Telegraph report is a bit confused. Did Chuka storm out or did Dermot end the interview - seems like the latter to me. 

It was childish interviewing at best yes, but agree Umunna HAS to do better than that and absolutely should have been properly briefed. He just came across as a petulant child, which is a real shame because of all of the Shadow Cabinet he seem(ed)s the most competent. 

Edited by Eames

The Green Party has been mentioned admiringly in this thread and to be honest I'd never really taken the time to check out their policies. The Torygraph today has saved me the trouble and summarised what they are offering, a genuine mixture of the enlightened, worrying and beyond the sun insanity.

Highlights and lowlights (you decide) include:

De-criminalsing membership of a terrorist organisation like the IRA or Al Qaeda - at this point most sane people chuckle and stop reading, but there is more...

De-criminalising all drugs (for personal use) and prostitution - some merit,

Aiming for sustained negative economic growth to reduce material consumption but make people's personal lives more fulfilling - read make everyone poorer but happier/hippier,

Disband the armed forces and leave NATO, turn MOD land into nature parks and retool defence industry to make wind turbines - gulp,

100% renewable energy by 2030 with major reliance on wind turbines - which don't really work btw,

Greater reliance on Cottage industries, allotments and co-operatives - like this a lot

New trade tariffs between UK and Europe - basically withdraw from the common market and end EU membership - how do the those screaming that exiting the EU is madness square this with their support for the Greens??!

Aim to reduce border controls to nothing and make British nationality irrelevant in the new and great global society - where presumably we would be free to join ISIS and become familiar with their culture.

There's loads more on this link: EDIT can't get the short link to work so in full: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html

I'd sooner vote for Ed Miliband than these clowns, and I'd be more likely to vote for my dog than Ed Miliband.  How is anyone taking them seriously?

Edited by Awol

I saw that article, and immediately noticed that it was an unreferenced slag off opinion piece aimed at the core Telegraph readership.

Yeah, I've just been on the Green Party website to look for these specific policies, and can't find them. I can find an absolute ton of stuff on there I agree with, but 15 minutes of digging and can't find most of the things listed by AWOL. 

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/

I saw that article, and immediately noticed that it was an unreferenced slag off opinion piece aimed at the core Telegraph readership.

In which case Natalie will no doubt be on the phone to the lawyers as we type.  I await the rebuttal with interest.

One thing from that piece:

Whips and jumps would be banned from horse racing.

Erm, I don't think their policy says that:

link

AR425: The Green Party will end the exploitation of animals in horse racing, greyhound racing and all situations where animals are commercially raced. There would be an immediate ban on the use of the whip in horse racing and in jumps racing, and on the use of a non-linear track in greyhound racing. A single regulatory authority would be put in place for each sport, tasked with establishing and enforcing strict welfare standards. There would be a requirement for full traceability of all animals involved in racing throughout their lives (using microchip technology where applicable) and full publication of injury and death statistics. These statistics would be used as evidence to close dangerous tracks and ban trainers with poor records. Breeding and import of animals for racing will be tightly regulated and monitored to improve welfare and prevent over-breeding. There would be regulation on the conditions and times of transportation of animals used in sport as well as the housing of all animals. A high level of compulsory levy would be imposed on all betting, to be used solely for welfare improvements.

Edited by snowychap

Absolutely most people in london will be the ones suffering because of it.

You can get "mansions" bigger outside of london but because they are not in capital they wont be applicable as its not worth as much. silly idea from a silly little man

If they want to save money on the NHS charge people who fail to turn up for their appointments, and stop wasting millions of pounds on interpreteurs

Good

All these whingeing rich rocket polishers who seem to think £2m only buys you 'a garage' or a 'garden shed' in that London can do one then. If you're that deluded/minted/greedy, then you're very possible one of the numerous uber rich who invest in tax avoidance schemes anyway, so are probably not paying your full whack of taxes anyway.

There's enough foreign oligarchs to buy your property off you if feel the need to sell, and let's face it, the London housing market is ridiculously inflated anyway. Maybe this'll reign it back a bit. If you can afford to buy/live in a £2m + house, you can afford to pay a bit more tax.

It doesn't just buy you a garden shed, but in lots of parts of London it doesn't buy you a mansion either.  The house and the income will already have suffered tax as it is, so the idea is a poorly thought out load of retrospective rubbish.  From a massive hypocrite who altered his father's will to avoid tax on a big house in London.  You couldn't make it up.

This from the Green Party website:

PD300 The policies espoused in the rest of this PSS are all intended to build a culture of trust among peoples, as well as the primary goals they proclaim. In particular, International (IP) and European (EU) policy is intended to create a world where regions collaborate where necessary and interact peaceably.

PD301 We would promote town twinning, exchange visits, and Internet-based methods for learning about other countries and cultures by direct contact. One of the main purposes of embassies would be to learn about culture and current affairs of their host countries by immersion in a wide variety of local activities. The UN should provide significant support for building effective law and order systems that are not affected by corruption, and for support of free and democratic elections.

"I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony!"

Yes, let's twin Brighton with, ooh I don't know, Kobani and see how they get on.

"I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony!"

Better than asset stripping the nation, I reckon.

Yes, let's twin Brighton with, ooh I don't know, Kobani and see how they get on.

Brighton is clearly unsuitable, Merthyr is a better match ;)

• Like 1

You're missing the point. You don't vote for the Greens as party of government, you vote for the Greens to get some alternative and progressive views in parliament to go some way to providing alternatives to the corrupt oligarchical neo-liberal Thatcherite bollocks offered by the major parties, whoch is simultaneously ruining our democracy and destroying the inhabitable planet. 

• Like 4

In which case Natalie will no doubt be on the phone to the lawyers as we type.  I await the rebuttal with interest.

I doubt it. It's pointless as all the partoes know. When a "hostile" paper attacks the tories for eating babies, labour for being communists and so on, they just have to put up with it. Taking legal action just makes it worse.

I guess the Greenies will find this out, more, now that the various vested media interests, pompous commentators and the like have cottoned on that people might actually vote for them.

It's all pretty grubby stuff - some berk in a rag writes  "[whatever] party will [make a terrble thing happen]" and so if the party concerned starts denying it, they're just giving publicity to whatever ludicrous claim - and you get more of it - [terrible thing] becomes associated with [party] in terms of media coverage.

"[party] denies it'll make terrible thing happen" (subtext "but we all know they'll do it")

if they don't deny it, then the next step is

"[party] hasn't denied reports it'll  [make a terrble thing happen]"  (subtext "they're admitting they will")

and so on.

Â