Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I saw an article in Sun today linking McGeady with Sunderland and was copied and pasted from 3 years ago. words like villa target and villa owner Ellis short didnt help and then was quotes about "chairman arriving at end of season"

There'll never be "closure" (awful word) whilst groups of fans blame O'Neill, Lerner or both for our current predicament.

I'm interested to know if you think this wasn't the case and why?

We will have some kind of “closure” when we are vaguely good again. When we beat our local rivals. When we compete with the top teams (and by compete I mean actually put up a bit of a fight and occasionally beat them). When we regain a bit of a pride again. Then it will be Martin who...

There'll never be "closure" (awful word) whilst groups of fans blame O'Neill, Lerner or both for our current predicament.

I'm interested to know if you think this wasn't the case and why?

Think what wasn't the case?

Martin O'Neill has refused to explain why he left Aston Villa just days before the start of the season in 2010 ahead of his first trip back to Villa Park with current side Sunderland.

O'Neill was at Villa for four seasons and achieved three consecutive sixth-placed finishes before his dramatic departure just five days before the start of the Premier League campaign.

Eight home draws in his final season prevented Villa from finishing in the top four and he left amid rumours of rows with owner Randy Lerner over transfer funds.

The Sunderland boss refused to comment on his exit, hinting only that things turned 'sour' behind the scenes.

Sour

"I had the privilege of managing one of the great clubs of English football with a great tradition behind it," he said.

"I was there for four years and the fourth year was a bit sour unfortunately.

"Ironically, it was the best year having finished six points off the Champions League.

"There may be clearing up at some stage on the reasons for my departure but having been gone for two years, I'm not sure any explanations on the eve of this game is the right thing."

Sky Sports

He was asked after the Sunderland game today by the reporter from Sky Sports whether he felt he had many friends at our club and after stumbling over his words, he replied i don't think i've many friends anywhere.

How much shit did he get today?

Was it 50/50?

During the walkout most of Villa Park were booing him. After that really though, there was not too much there from what I heard in the Trinity. He was also quite quiet today, not his normal animated self. Probably knew that would be best for him, but fair play I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit strange, this popped up on our newsnow feed:

O'Neill a finance "Villan"?

by

11 Aug 2010

Be the first to comment

Football finance is back in the headlines again this morning. This time it's about Aston Villa.

A Villa non-exec allegedly told a supporters' website forum that recently departed manager Martin O'Neill left because he didn't fancy lowering the club's wages to turnover ratio.

According to Deloitte's latest survey of clubs, Villa's ratio as a percentage was 84% for 2008/2009.

It has been widely accepted that anything above 60% is less than healthy.

Its another example of managers having to balance books as well as juggle team selection.

And the highest ratio for a Premier League club in that season? Portsmouth, with 109%. Perhaps you can see where Villa owner Randy Lerner was coming from on this one.

Read more: http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/blog-post/1795457/oneill-finance-villan#ixzz1uHUDHLXs

Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.

Link

am not suprised, when the going got tough, o'neill walked like a coward. he contributed towards the high wages so should ahve tried to make it more mangable

despite me not being a big fan of either houllier or mcleish both have more guts than him

Sold shorey and accepted bids for young and sidwell. I'd be surprised if he refused to sell other fringe players.

That much is true. But I suspect that MON also wanted to spend money and bring in more players, therefor increasing the wage bill again. It's obvious Randy wanted the wages lowered more than it was.

That's where I think MON walked and claimed he could no longer work under the conditions that were set.

But that's pure speculation, of course.

Bit strange, this popped up on our newsnow feed:

O'Neill a finance "Villan"?

by

11 Aug 2010

Be the first to comment

Football finance is back in the headlines again this morning. This time it's about Aston Villa.

A Villa non-exec allegedly told a supporters' website forum that recently departed manager Martin O'Neill left because he didn't fancy lowering the club's wages to turnover ratio.

According to Deloitte's latest survey of clubs, Villa's ratio as a percentage was 84% for 2008/2009.

It has been widely accepted that anything above 60% is less than healthy.

Its another example of managers having to balance books as well as juggle team selection.

And the highest ratio for a Premier League club in that season? Portsmouth, with 109%. Perhaps you can see where Villa owner Randy Lerner was coming from on this one.

Read more: http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/blog-post/1795457/oneill-finance-villan#ixzz1uHUDHLXs

Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.

Link

Isn't this "Villa non-exec speaking to a fan-forum" in 2010 just referring to what Krulak said on this very site? This story has gone on so long it's now come entirely full circle!

I thought everybody knew by now that MON left cos Randy gave Faulkner his car parking spot?

Â