Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Wow alot of Mon fanboi's here theres no doubt Mon was pretty shrewd in the transfer market at times and that was one of his strengths but i think you all forget Mons favourites/no subsitutions/no rotatating/no youth/1 dimension football/pulling the Pope's cap off away europe/not buying abroad.

His con's massively outway his pro's thats for sure and he got found out at a bigger club where he had money to spend.

I really don't think he was particularly shrewd in the transfer market:

Knight

Maloney

Shorey

Davies

Salifou

Heskey

Harewood

Beye

I'm sure there's a few more that deserve to be listed with these.

Credit is due with Ash, Milner and Downing, but who else would be considered a shrewd signing?

Luke Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Cuellar were mediocre signings...Delph hasn't really panned out.

He let Cahill walk, too. It's not like a huge club came in for him. We sold him to Bolton, FFS....

I doubt very much whether MON would ever contemplate coming back to Villa, so this thread, while providing an opportunity for a few people to have another ride on their hobby horses about how useless he was, etc., etc., is pretty irrelevant.

No bloody way. It would be a massive insult what with how he **** us over. Not only that but I don't rate him that highly anyway. He's better than McLeish but name me someone who isn't?

This, this and this. Have none of you any self respect? I would rather have Keith Lemon manage Aston Villa than that self-promoting cretin Martin O'Neill, the guy who left us up shit creek three days before the start of the season.

I don't care what argument he had with Lerner, I don't care how the goalposts were moved, and I don't care whether certain players were growing restless with him. He should have shown some integrity and professionalism towards this great club. By walking out he stuck a big middle finger up to all of us, and some of you would have him back? His resignation was out of spite and designed to cause maximum damage to his former employers. He almost got us relegated last season, with obvious help from Houllier. I hate him.

MON :puke:

Some off the hero worship is a bit embarrassing.

Glad hes gone. Our malaise now is more down to the boards incompetence and basically having given up.

Any competant manager and continued investment would have seen us 6-8th.

The media love-in is quite sickening right now. Steve Claridges comments about how great O'Neill is at working on a budget were laughable. Pat Murphy's article was that of an old man yearning for an old lover, pathetic stuff.

O'Neill will get Sunderland to the top half probably but he'll be gone in a couple of years when his vision doesn't match that of the owner.

I maintain that MON is a nice bloke, I don't wish him any ill but as a manager he came up short at Villa and we got as far as he could take us.

I'd take that over what we have now but I hate the national media feeling that we were nothing before MON and are back to our rightful place now he is gone. It's insulting and just wrong.

MON did work well on no budget at Leicester.

MON had his faults with us for sure but was best manager we had in long time and Sunderland appointing him as their manager is far more of a statement of intent than say us appointing McCrap.

Sunderland managerial search = Mark Hughes , MON

Our managerial search = Martinez , McLaren , McCrap

We appoint McCrap. A proven failure in Premiership . Id take Steve Bruce (the manager Sunderland just sacked btw ) over the shite most antifootball manager we now have in charge.

As for MON "walked"..well a certain tribunal might just contradict that...

Amazed ppl still keep banging on about how bad MON was and yet no blame over ridiculous bad decisions after another at our club of recent times...

Wow alot of Mon fanboi's here theres no doubt Mon was pretty shrewd in the transfer market at times and that was one of his strengths but i think you all forget Mons favourites/no subsitutions/no rotatating/no youth/1 dimension football/pulling the Pope's cap off away europe/not buying abroad.

His con's massively outway his pro's thats for sure and he got found out at a bigger club where he had money to spend.

Knight

Maloney

Shorey

Davies

Salifou

Heskey

Harewood

Beye

Credit is due with Ash, Milner and Downing, but who else would be considered a shrewd signing?

Luke Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Cuellar were mediocre signings...Delph hasn't really panned out.

He let Cahill walk, too. It's not like a huge club came in for him. We sold him to Bolton, FFS....

Dunne, Collins and Warnock were excellent in MONs first season. Dunne in team of the year. We were a side punching above our weight and struggled as we didnt have a squad to carry on competing at the level we were.

People complain about the money he spent, what other way of reaching the top 4 is there. You have to gamble. None of those clubs live within there means, to believe we could do it was naive.

With all his limitations, at least you knew that for the most part the team were going to go out and give it a go.

Now, well we know that we will be parking the bus due to all the scary teams that are better than us, I think McLeish still thinks hes managing Blues.

Knight

Maloney

Shorey

Davies

Salifou

Heskey

Harewood

Beye

Exactly, yes we signed some cracking players some of whom we eventually sold for a big profit but we also signed some very average players, as Maqroll has quite rightly pointed out, for big fees and then put them on big wages. MON should have bought better given his experience and the Board should have set proper limits on what he was doing.

IMO MON is a good manager but not outstanding, not as good as the media think he. I would totally agree he did great things at the club and we had some great times and he took a relegation threatened club into the top third of the table. For me though, at least, I doubt we would have got any better or higher as I think we had reached the limit of his capabilities.

I would hazard a guess for every great game we had when we beat one of the bigger sides could be compared to one of the disastrous games we had. That was MON though, great highs and lows. Think beating Man U away and then think about losing to Wigan at home or surrendering a two goal lead at home to Stoke compared to winning at the Emirates. I could on.....

It do find it quite irritating that some fans are still having a love in over MON. In his last season at Villa I seem to remember that was a big proportion of fans who were massively critical of MON as Kazzam said over things like favourites/no subsitutions/no rotatating/no youth/1 dimension football/not buying abroad,etc. Overall over his tenure he was great for the club but its all in the past

The manager we have now and his capabilities are actually a totally different discussion. My view on that is quite simple, we aimed far too low in terms of the calibre of manager we sought and eventually got. Put simply there were and are far better managers out there that the one we have got.

You'd think getting into the top 4 was easy reading some of the comments in this thread. Look at how many years of consistent investment and managerial changes it took before spurs made it, look at how much money it took for man city to make it and MON is shit because he didn't take a team that just fought off relegation to top 4 in 4 years? Really weak argument.

In fact i've never seen a good argument as to why we should have finished above any of man u, liverpool, chelsea, arsenal, spurs and city let alone why we should have expected to finish above 3 of those teams.

He made some shocking signings but get any manager in the world and you could produce a shit list.

3 top 6 finishes is a rare level of consistency when you look back at the history of the premier league. It wasn't perfect but it was an enjoyable time. I do wonder how many of the people slating MON went to games on a regular basis during his time.

Still don't get the hatred for how he left, no one has a clue and i wouldn't believe anything the general posts on here.

Good manager and will do well for sunderland while we recover from houllier by letting mcleish build a team.

I hate him. I hate him for the way he left us. I hate him for turning his back on the club and the fans.

But by god, do I miss him:(

THIS.

This to. i would never have him back because of the way he left us but i miss the way we played and the players he signed young, downing, milner. he did make some terrible signings and never used youth or made subs but he was one good striker away from been great. unfortunately he will do well at sunderland and were stuck with mcleish.WHY??

MON love-in done i hate him

he is a fantastic manager and sunderland will now finish above us this year....

im looking forward to seeing what he does there...

their need for a striker is as obvious as ours was during his time here so it will be interesting to see if he buys one and who it is

i can only hope Heskey follows him so Mcleish can stop playing him in midfield

Â