Jimmy Savile And Other Paedophiles

GarethRDR

Reading that PDF was a mistake. It makes me so disgusted with human beings as a species... that there are those among us that can be so completely devoid of decency. Sickening and depressing.

Yes i know how you feel. There's  lot of very sick people out there just like Watkins who are amongst us. Its scary!

No there aren't. There are very, very, very few. 

• Like 3

Reading that PDF was a mistake. It makes me so disgusted with human beings as a species... that there are those among us that can be so completely devoid of decency. Sickening and depressing.

Yes i know how you feel. There's  lot of very sick people out there just like Watkins who are amongst us. Its scary!

No there aren't. There are very, very, very few. 

Actually neither of us really know that!

what there is, is wall to wall 24 hr media coverage of anything scandalous, sexual, shocking or titilating

make no mistake, this is not being reported because journalism as a profession wants to purge society of 'evil', it's being advertised because it sells, it creates interest, it is the bogey man that people are both scared of and thrilled by

• Like 2

Ok BOF I do hope you are right. I wasn't just thinking  about sick child abusers but what humans are capable of given the right situation and circumstances. Like in wartime. But I was wrong to say lot of people like Watkins... I should of said there's  a lot of people capable of doing bad stuff! out there... 

He's just going to rot in jail like Brady has. He's paying for his crimes!

For the record, Brady isn't in jail, he's served his sentence in a secure hospital (Ashworth in Maghull) and he's far from rotted

Actually he spent the first 19 years in prisons before being moved to Ashworth.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly OT, but whole life sentences were discussed earlier in the thread so I thought I'd post this story here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25574176

Some murderers and serious offenders could receive US-style sentences totalling hundreds of years as part of a review of the UK's human rights laws.

The government is considering the plan after a European court ruled in 2013 that whole-life sentences breached the European Convention on Human Rights.

The 100-year terms would allow prisoners to have their sentences reviewed, satisfying the court.

Prison reform campaigners branded the proposals "dangerous nonsense".

'Restore respectability'

The proposed change in sentencing regulations comes as Conservative ministers prepare to publish reforms to the UK's human rights laws.

They want Britain's Supreme Court to have the final say in cases relating to human rights, rather than the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg.

The ECHR ruled in July that whole-life sentences - allowed under English law - breached the European Convention on Human Rights because they did not include the possibility of a "right to review".

The government was given six months to respond to the decision, which Prime Minister David Cameron has said he "profoundly disagreed" with.

One option now being considered by the government is a plan to allow judges to impose jail terms of hundreds of years, which would potentially allow offenders to have their sentences reviewed and reduced.

Policing minister Damian Green, who leads the committee responsible for drawing up reforms to limit the influence of the Strasbourg court on British life, told The Daily Telegraph: "British laws must be made in Britain. I want to restore the respectability of human rights."

The Prison Reform Trust's Juliet Lyon said the government was trying to "dodge complying with the Human Rights Act".

"It sounds like a dangerous nonsense," she said. "What it risks is further inflation in sentencing. People serving life sentences are serving three years longer than they did 10 years ago."

Human rights barrister Geoffrey Robertson QC said that sentencing people to hundreds of years of imprisonment was a "cruel and unusual punishment", and was contrary to the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

"There is a place for mercy," he added.

There are currently 49 criminals in England and Wales serving whole-life prison terms.

Mark Bridger, 47, who was sentenced to life in prison in May for the murder of five-year-old Welsh schoolgirl April Jones, has lodged an application to appeal against his sentence.

His initial hearing at the Court of Appeal is scheduled for early 2014.

'Unduly lenient'

Ian McLoughlin, 55, who admitted killing Good Samaritan Graham Buck, 66, in Hertfordshire, while on prison day-release, was given a 40-year sentence in October.

Mr Justice Sweeney, who sentenced McLoughlin at the Old Bailey, said he was barred from passing a whole-life tariff because of the European judgment.

Attorney General Dominic Grieve is due to appeal against his sentence, describing it as "unduly lenient".

On the day of McLoughlin's sentencing, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said whole-life tariffs should be available for "the most serious offenders".

"That is the position clearly stated in our law, and what the public expects. The domestic law on this has not changed."

Lawyers at the Ministry of Justice are now looking at whether the law needs to be changed to allow judges to hand down more severe sentences.

Under the US system, very long prison sentences are often imposed by states as an alternative to the death penalty.

In August last year, Ariel Castro, who abducted three women and held them captive for more than a decade, was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, plus 1,000 years.

He was found hanged in his cell in Ohio in September

Edited by av1

• 1 month later...

There will always be insufficient evidence in these cases. More often than not you are relying on witness accounts which can be taken apart by a good team. The end result is a system that doesn't favour the victim (it should favour neither, but currently it favours the defence imo). I don't know how to fix that particular problem.

• Like 1

Â