Jimmy Savile And Other Paedophiles

GarethRDR

Freddie Starr arrested again for the 4th time. They're determined to get him for something aren't they? How about being an unfunny word removed?

I wonder if,  over the last 30 years  if the amount of coverage and the increase in people caught for stuff like this and paraded on the news has inadvertently increased the problem ?

Now,  my thinking is that before everyone had internet I suppose the temptation was just not there for these people but now you have the news basically telling these people there is "Stuff" online if you care to find it.

This is not really blaming the media as they report what has occurred but in this type of criminal activity it kind of feels like a self fulfilling prophecy.  So the more we report it the more it will happen.  Basically is the amount of abuse carried out now comparable to say that of 50 years ago ? I would say no but that's a guess tbh.

Thoughts,  (I have a migraine so it might not make any sense)  :wacko:

I think it's the opposite. Victims are now more likely to speak up, and be taken seriously. The fear of detection has grown. The likelihood of detection has also grown.

There's an idea that the availability of dodgy material may prompt some people to commit these crimes. But they were happening long before the internet, just more easily covered up and victims silenced.

There is however an issue of the possible impact on people of some of the stuff that's out there, which is a complicated and unclear subject.

The self-fulfilling prophecy point is a bit like the way that the number of housing repairs goes up when landlords make it easier to report them; the change hasn't created the underlying conditions, just revealed them.

I see what you mean,  thanks for the great reply.  

It's super complicated that's for sure.  I thought I was onto something but back to the drawing board so to speak.  

Thinking about it,  if there is a dodgy person in one's community then I suspect that the community as a whole will be keeping a very close eye on them I suppose + the additional checks for jobs working with children has shut some obvious doors to them.  

3000 posts for me  :P

They should clear Rolf now, pre trial.

If Barlow and Hairy Cornflake can walk free, Rolf surely has the cigar out already!

I wonder what's going on with these prosecutions though. Surely the CPS has to build a compelling case, otherwise it's pointless going to trial. The 'evidence' must be very flimsy .... although Cornflake had over 10 different (and some respected/professional people) making claims against him, yet he walks. Have they ALL made it up? :huh:

They should clear Rolf now, pre trial.

If Barlow and Hairy Cornflake can walk free, Rolf surely has the cigar out already!

I wonder what's going on with these prosecutions though. Surely the CPS has to build a compelling case, otherwise it's pointless going to trial. The 'evidence' must be very flimsy .... although Cornflake had over 10 different (and some respected/professional people) making claims against him, yet he walks. Have they ALL made it up? Pro :huh:

The CPS are supposed to have a better than 50% chance of convicition before going ahead with a trial.

There are several issues at play here..... the CPS ****ed up massively over Savile and as a result are deserate to show they can "get" some convictions. Any conviction will do they are, in my opinion running with evidence that is fatally flawed. In one of the charges against Bill Roach the "victim" couldn't even remember the incident. How the hell did that make it to Court?

Trouble is, the evidence is very much "he said/she said" quality. If there is any reasonable doubt the juries have to acquit and in light of a total absence of DNA evidence proving these assault cases are totally impossible. Any half decent barrister is going to fillet some of these witnesses if there recall of the events aren't 100% accurate and 100% consistant.

The police will arrest on the basis of evidence gathering.

The CPS will bring a prosecution if they believe there is a case to answer, that's usually seen as a balance of probabilities. ie. 51% likely to be guilty.

The court needs to find a crime was committed to be beyond all reasonable doubt, a much higher burden of proof.

This story was on The Mirror's website in December and a disclaimer on the picture reads (picture posed by model)

The former Minister I was thinking of has dark hair, and a chubbier face.

I suppose a chubby face doesn't really narrow it down a lot, when you're speaking of tory Ministers...

• Like 1

This story was on The Mirror's website in December and a disclaimer on the picture reads (picture posed by model)

I suppose a chubby face doesn't really narrow it down a lot, when you're speaking of tory Ministers...

I suppose he didn't have a chin either? ;)

I suppose he didn't have a chin either? ;)

A receding one, and a smug expression, and an air of moneyed entitlement.  But we haven't narrowed it down at all in saying that.

• Like 2

You sure that's a teaser from tomorrow's paper? I know it's blurry but it looks to me like the date top right says 08 12 2013.

May well be a reissue.  It's from Twitter, so I have no idea if it's actually going to appear.  I did say "apparently".  ;)

• Like 1

Â