London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

Been listening to quite a bit of American media over the past couple of days. Apparently you guys have got really really shit Olympic coverage because NBC are a bunch of cowboys?

I hear there was a moment during the opening ceremony where the commentary team all seemed quite pleased with the fact that they had no idea who Tim Berners-Lee is. While I appreciate that he isnt quite a A-List celebrity, there is a delicious irony in being told by a clueless commentator to "Google him" :lol:

NBC are doing what they've always done: tape delay the major events to prime time (8-11pm). That said, this year, they're showing most everything live on their pay TV channels (NBC Sports Network, USA, Bravo, MSNBC, etc.) or streaming it if you've got a cable/satellite subscription.

I actually haven't watched a second of the Games, though. I regard the Olympics as heavy drinkers regard New Year's Eve: amateur night (or amateur fortnight?), when the folks who aren't sports fans get interested (the few fans of minor sports who pay attention to them the 206 weeks between the Olympics excepted).

I would have thought the decision by NBC to not show the 7/7 memorial (instead choosing to show a Ryan Seacrest interview) would've been the bigger thing you'd mention...

The 7/7 bombings happened less than 24 hours after we were awarded the games so the two events are closely linked in a lot of peoples minds. The Edgware Road bomb explosion was about a quarter of a mile from where I work in London and (thankfully) it was my day off as I would have been hugely affected by the fallout from it. Our company because one of the main ways people were evacuating themselves from Central London and that must have been quite a scary thing when you consider just how big a target Marylebone Station must have looked to a second wave of attacks.

I'm not surprised by it being edited out so I'm not bothered by it to be honest. I fully expect NBC to be leading the calls of mock outrage had any "allied" country dared omit a 9/11 tribute had the games been held in New York this year though, especially for a **** interview.

While I appreciate that he isnt quite a A-List celebrity, there is a delicious irony in being told by a clueless commentator to "Google him" :lol:

From what I understand, Matt Lauer was taking the piss when he told her to 'Google him'. For the very ironic reason that you point out.

I was there last night (even managed to get a shot on TV as Sinclair got subbed off =) ) - cracking atmosphere really (though slightly tempered by some people deciding to boo L. Suarez whenever his face came up on the giant screens during the anthems) - don't think I've ever seen an entire tournament round on 1 player so vociferously before either.

A decent game of football - Cleverly looks quite the player (will be interesting to see if Man Utd will feature him much again this coming season) - though Sturridge really doesn't suit playing in the lone striker role IMO.

And good to see our anthem respected as well =)

I wish the commentators would just say "Britain" instead of "Team GB" all the time.

It's really sad :lol: I cringe when I hear it. It's like the 'King Kenny' thing all over again.

I think Canada are called Team Canada as well.

It should be Team UK in any case, not Team GB.

TRS-T in 'change the name of the team' shock! Team Birmingham has quite a nice ring to it, don't you think? :winkold:

Funnily enough, I don't particularly mind "Team GB" as the collective "brand name" for the overall Olympic squad - all the athletes, in all the sports. But when they are competing in a particular team sport, such as football, hockey, basketball, etc., I think they should just be referred to as "Britain".

Great Britain (as I prefer to call them) are improving by the game I think. Cleverley has been much better the last two games, Sturridge is getting back into the groove although his touch when holding the ball up still needs work and Ramsey is showing his quality now he's starting. Allen-Ramsey-Cleverley is a really nice balance in central midfield, surprised me in this tournament how much defensive work Allen gets through so I think Liverpool are getting a gem.

This all adds up to a decent chance of a medal I think even if it's just bronze as I think Japan v Brazil will be the final. I think that would be a great success for a team that's been put together in the last month and has little preparation for this tournament.

Basically, every other country in the world should just be called "Not England".

That would be interesting,so when Brazil play New Zealand and when Uruguay play Senegal we would have.

Not England Vs Not England

Followed by

Not England Vs Not England..

Not England would hope to avoid Not England in the semis

Â