London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

Couldn't sleep so watched the womens final highlights.

usajapan.jpg

The lack of quality for the best teams in the World amazes me. What kind of positioning is that from the keeper? Even better, the striker fails to score. :crylaugh:

I remember watching women's football for the first time 7 or 8 years ago and it was truly dreadful. I think it might have been the women's FA Cup final and it was god-awful, Sunday League stuff.

To my delight I have been really impressed with the women's football at this tournament. Obviously it's a high level international tournament which FA Cup isn't but I really get the impression that the women's game globally has come on leaps and bounds over the past decade. Great news for football I say.

That said, the goalkeepers are still really awful. Men do have genetic advantage here owing to greater spatial awareness but the girls have some serious catching up to do. It would be nice to think the Olympics could have a legacy for women's football to help close that gap.

What medal are they suppose to get? Gold,Silver,Bronze and Brass/Copper?

All I am trying to say is that either it should be like a cup competition. You get down to the last 2 and they both get a medal ( winners and losers ) medals ) Or you get down to the last 4 and they all get a medal, gold ,silver, bronze and copper.

FFS, you are down to the last 4 give them all some sort of medal, or only give gold and silver.

And what about every other sport? Should they all have a medal for 4th as well?

If you get down to the last 2, like in a cup game, then gold and silver only.

If you get down to the last 4, like in the Olympics then, yes gold,silver and 2 bronze medals.I stamped 3rd place and one stamped 4th place.

You wil still play off for 3rd and 4th but at least the team that finishes 4th will have something to show for it instead of having nothing ( like the teams that did not get past the group stage)

And the runners and swimmers that finished 4th in their races should also get this medal?

Or perhaps every runner who gets out of their heats and semi finals and makes it to the final should all get a medal to show for it?

What medal are they suppose to get? Gold,Silver,Bronze and Brass/Copper?

All I am trying to say is that either it should be like a cup competition. You get down to the last 2 and they both get a medal ( winners and losers ) medals ) Or you get down to the last 4 and they all get a medal, gold ,silver, bronze and copper.

FFS, you are down to the last 4 give them all some sort of medal, or only give gold and silver.

And what about every other sport? Should they all have a medal for 4th as well?

If you get down to the last 2, like in a cup game, then gold and silver only.

If you get down to the last 4, like in the Olympics then, yes gold,silver and 2 bronze medals.I stamped 3rd place and one stamped 4th place.

You wil still play off for 3rd and 4th but at least the team that finishes 4th will have something to show for it instead of having nothing ( like the teams that did not get past the group stage)

But WHY? why should the team finishing 4th get a medal in this instance? I could sort of undertsnad if you said have no 3rd place play off and giove them both bronze medals. But to actually have a play off and give them both medals anyway? It's mental.

Answer my question from before? Why do you only think this when it's down to 4?

Why not when they're down to the last 8? What's the difference between that and the last 4?

Is there a 3rd/4th place playoff in Olympic football? I think that might break the matrix actually. It would be too many levels of unimportance for it to handle.

3rd/4th Play Off is NOTHING. There was a 7th/8th Play Off in the men's Hockey today :D

A 7th/8th playoff. That really beggars belief.

Then the the fact that they had a playoff for 11th/12th place in the womens hockey today is gonna really amaze you then!!

Just for the record Belgium beat USA 2-1 to secure 11th :)

It kind of amazes me that out of all the things you might have taken from that match, that's what you should choose to latch onto; not to mention the fact that the next thing that happened was another brilliant save from Hope Solo to preserve the lead.

So you think that is good positioning from Hope Solo? You think the Japanese striker not scoring from there is fine? The reason I picked this out is because I don't watch much women's football and I found both the previously mentioned things quite awful considering it's an Olympic Final.

As for your "Why don't I coach since I'm so much better". Have you never complained about anything in your life? Step down of your high horse instead of thinking you're better than me. Thank God you have so few posts.

It kind of amazes me that out of all the things you might have taken from that match, that's what you should choose to latch onto; not to mention the fact that the next thing that happened was another brilliant save from Hope Solo to preserve the lead.

So you think that is good positioning from Hope Solo? You think the Japanese striker not scoring from there is fine? The reason I picked this out is because I don't watch much women's football and I found both the previously mentioned things quite awful considering it's an Olympic Final.

As for your "Why don't I coach since I'm so much better". Have you never complained about anything in your life? Step down of your high horse instead of thinking you're better than me. Thank God you have so few posts.

You're an angry man aren't you? Fairly sure Gabby would miss that chance 1 in 5 times. Not sure what you're trying to prove? And boasting about the size of your post count is pretty much the saddest thing you could possibly do.

Me suggesting that you're being unreasonably negative is not the same thing as me declaring Hope Solo is always positioned perfectly for every possible game situation that might occur. I think my argument is stated clearly and reasonably.

It's clear from your post that you're basing a sweeping judgment on absolutely minimal information (highlights of a single match) and what I'm saying is that I think your condemnation of an entire entity based on a single instance of a single phenomenon amounts to hasty generalisation and general whinging.

I don't post more because I'm relatively new here and prefer to tread lightly unless I think I have some unique insight or unless I think people are being ridiculous. I thought you were being pretty ridiculous.

Park Chuyoung with a brilliant individual goal, by the way, in the South Korea v Japan bronze medal match -- took on four Japanese defenders and beat the keeper with an easy-as-you-like finish.

You're an angry man aren't you? Fairly sure Gabby would miss that chance 1 in 5 times. Not sure what you're trying to prove? And boasting about the size of your post count is pretty much the saddest thing you could possibly do.

When I think something is of poor quality and someone labels me 'smug' and 'cynical' and then mocks me for me (a few agreed with me re: women's goalkeeping, including yourself) I am going to get 'angry' as you put it. I saw a highlight of 2 things I thought particularly poor for an Olympic Final, posted it and that's that. Not trying to 'prove' anything'.

As for boasting about post count, where did I do that? I never mentioned my post count at all if I recall. :?

As for JamieZ, 'whinging'? I posted something I thought bad/funny, and you post an essay calling me all sorts, and I'm whinging? :lol:

Â