London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

Is there a 3rd/4th place playoff in Olympic football? I think that might break the matrix actually. It would be too many levels of unimportance for it to handle. But if there isn't, then effectively the losing semi-finalists are joint 3rd ergo both bronze. If there is a playoff then there's a clear winner, otherwise there isn't.

Is there a 3rd/4th place playoff in Olympic football? I think that might break the matrix actually. It would be too many levels of unimportance for it to handle. But if there isn't, then effectively the losing semi-finalists are joint 3rd ergo both bronze. If there is a playoff then there's a clear winner, otherwise there isn't.

Yeah its like the WC, 3rd place play off..

Pussy cat isn't being completly absurd though, other sports at the olympics share bronze medals for 3rd and 4th place.

Only in boxing where it's because if you were to get knocked out in the semis, you're not medically allowed to fight again for a certain period of time, so they'd be unable to compete, which wouldn't be fair.

And in stuff like high jump and pole vault where you can be literally exactly the same as someone else. Two people joint third are literally joint third. There's nothign separating them.

Whereas in football, it could just be luck as to who you had to play in the semis

Pussy cat isn't being completly absurd though, other sports at the olympics share bronze medals for 3rd and 4th place.

Only in combat sports.

Only in combat sports.
If only Stoke could enter the Olympics, eh?

Is there a 3rd/4th place playoff in Olympic football? I think that might break the matrix actually. It would be too many levels of unimportance for it to handle.

3rd/4th Play Off is NOTHING. There was a 7th/8th Play Off in the men's Hockey today :D

It kind of amazes me that out of all the things you might have taken from that match, that's what you should choose to latch onto; not to mention the fact that the next thing that happened was another brilliant save from Hope Solo to preserve the lead. So yes, you're welcome to be smug in your judgment, but taking a still frame from a 90-minute match and drawing sweeping conclusions from it strikes me as a bit cynical and ridiculous. Perhaps you should volunteer your services at the next England women's camp; I'm sure they could benefit from some of your pointers.

I think the standard of women's play in this Olympic tournament has been absolutely fantastic. No, it's not the Men's World Cup or Champions League Finals, but it's been just as, if not more exciting -- open, end-to-end play with lots of scoring and attacking endeavour, impressive parity, and so much less cynicism and gamesmanship than you see in the men's game; the women give and take their knocks and get on with it. The men could stand to learn a thing or two from that.

Couldn't sleep so watched the womens final highlights.

usajapan.jpg

The lack of quality for the best teams in the World amazes me. What kind of positioning is that from the keeper? Even better, the striker fails to score. :crylaugh:

They are only semi professional. What do you expect?

It's not like they have the money and resources to get as good as the fully professional mens teams who scour talant from all over the globe and spend a ton of cash on maximising every aspect of their game.

You look at sports like hockey where both mens and womens are semi professional and the difference in skill is not as far appart from each other.

Smug arrogance can gtfo as far as I'm concerned >>>>>>>>>>>>>

What medal are they suppose to get? Gold,Silver,Bronze and Brass/Copper?

All I am trying to say is that either it should be like a cup competition. You get down to the last 2 and they both get a medal ( winners and losers ) medals ) Or you get down to the last 4 and they all get a medal, gold ,silver, bronze and copper.

FFS, you are down to the last 4 give them all some sort of medal, or only give gold and silver.

All I am trying to say is that either it should be like a cup competition. You get down to the last 2 and they both get a medal ( winners and losers ) medals ) Or you get down to the last 4 and they all get a medal, gold ,silver, bronze and copper.

FFS, you are down to the last 4 give them all some sort of medal, or only give gold and silver.

And what about every other sport? Should they all have a medal for 4th as well?

And what about every other sport? Should they all have a medal for 4th as well?

If you get down to the last 2, like in a cup game, then gold and silver only.

If you get down to the last 4, like in the Olympics then, yes gold,silver and 2 bronze medals.I stamped 3rd place and one stamped 4th place.

You wil still play off for 3rd and 4th but at least the team that finishes 4th will have something to show for it instead of having nothing ( like the teams that did not get past the group stage)

Is there a 3rd/4th place playoff in Olympic football? I think that might break the matrix actually. It would be too many levels of unimportance for it to handle.

3rd/4th Play Off is NOTHING. There was a 7th/8th Play Off in the men's Hockey today :D

A 7th/8th playoff. That really beggars belief.

Â