London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

They have play off to decide who gets what.

Yes I know that.What I mean is that unlike track & field where you have say 8 runners etc. In the team sports you come down to the last 4 through the process of elimination,which means that there are only 4 teams left ( all the others have been eliminated ) so because of this situation, does the team that comes 4th get some sort of medal or something ?

Yes I know that.What I mean is that unlike track & field where you have say 8 runners etc. In the team sports you come down to the last 4 through the process of elimination,which means that there are only 4 teams left ( all the others have been eliminated ) so because of this situation, does the team that comes 4th get some sort of medal or something ?

No. Because they're 4th. And only the top 3 get medals.

That`s a bit off then.In the champions league or any cup competition it comes down to the last 2 and they both get medals.In the olympics it comes down to the last 4 and only 3 get medals.

In that curcumstance I think the team that comes 4th should at least get a certificate or maybe even a tin medal.Something.

No. Because they're 4th. And only the top 3 get medals.

That`s a bit off then.In the champions league or any cup competition it comes down to the last 2 and they both get medals.In the olympics it comes down to the last 4 and only 3 get medals.

In that curcumstance I think the team that comes 4th should at least get a certificate or maybe even a tin medal.Something.

:|

It's the Olympics. The top 3 get medals. That's the way it's always been.

Some sports (at least boxing) give a bronze to both losers of the semi finals rather than have a play off (or a fight off) for the bronze.

Most sports have a play off for the bronze medal. If you lose that play off, you don't get anything, because you've finished 4th. i.e. not in the top 3. Not in a position which wins a medal.

I don't know if any of you have been following the Women's game, but both of today's semifinal matches were insane. USA and Japan will meet in the Final for a 2011 Word Cup Final rematch.

I don't know if any of you have been following the Women's game, but both of today's semifinal matches were insane. USA and Japan will meet in the Final for a 2011 Word Cup Final rematch.

So will the USA and Japan both get a medal? :? :lol:

South Korea were awful team. Seemed happy just to try and get bronze. As one bloke shouted near us, if they don't start trying soon then will be home with the Badminton players

The ref for the Brazil Vs Korea game should not be allowed to referee a childrens game.FFS, he completely ignored 2 clear penalties.As soon as Brazil went 2-0 up I turned the TV off.I figured Korea havent got a hope in hell, especially with that ref in charge.Pathetic.

You don`t get my point.

In the running,swimming,skulls, and any other non team sport you get up to 8 competitors running in the final,so obviously 1,2 and 3 get medals.But in the team sports ALL the other teams have been eliminated, leaving only 4.So, if EVERY OTHER team has been eliminated it seems unfair that of the last 4 standing 1 should miss out on a medal.After all this team ( the one that finishes 4th ) helped eliminate some teams as well.

You don`t get my point.

In the running,swimming,skulls, and any other non team sport you get up to 8 competitors running in the final,so obviously 1,2 and 3 get medals.But in the team sports ALL the other teams have been eliminated, leaving only 4.So, if EVERY OTHER team has been eliminated it seems unfair that of the last 4 standing 1 should miss out on a medal.After all this team ( the one that finishes 4th ) helped eliminate some teams as well.

But why are you saying that when there's only 4 left?

Why not say that when there's 8 teams left. All the other teams apart from those 8 have been eliminated. And after all, 5 of the remaining teams helped eliminate the others.

Â