The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely a gentleman to the last is Mr McLeish and the LMA statement shows how respected he will always be as a person.

OK things may not have worked out for him at Villa but I wish him every success elsewhere.

I am also not very proud of some of the hateful comments aimed at him and his family by some so called Villa fans.

Agree with all that Julie. :thumb:

I agree.

Nice statement from him one he obviously didn't have to make. The job was clearly too big for him, one he should never have been offered, but I don't blame him for taking it on.

Good luck to him.

Also I think that statement says alot about how Paul Faulkner & Randy Lerner have handled another managerial departure.

I know they will have had big fat pay off cheques, probably more than me & thee will earn in a lifetime but for all the rubbish

that people spout about AVFC, as business the club is in good hands. It's the footballing side which needs a brain behind it as I've said before.

Gary McAllister only had nice things to say about us live on SSN, when he didn't have to.

There's not an ounce of bitterness in Alex Mcleish's statement neither and that's not always been the case with LMA statements at all.

Onwards & Upwards and all that!

Absolutely a gentleman to the last is Mr McLeish and the LMA statement shows how respected he will always be as a person.

OK things may not have worked out for him at Villa but I wish him every success elsewhere.

I am also not very proud of some of the hateful comments aimed at him and his family by some so called Villa fans.

Agree with all that Julie. :thumb:

I agree.

Nice statement from him one he obviously didn't have to make. The job was clearly too big for him, one he should never have been offered, but I don't blame him for taking it on.

Good luck to him.

Yes also agree with JulieB and Mark. Some of the abuse levelled at him was OTT - yes he was a poor choice of manager but throughout he was highly respectful towards the club and the fans and these comments reflect that.

I'm happy he's gone but i wish him far more success than Houllier or O'Neill because neither of them were particularly respectful towards the club.

Always said I liked him as a person and I believe that he is humble enough for this statement to be genuine rather than a middle finger to the absurd personal criticism from some villa fans.

Good bloke 'till the end. Wish him all the best.

I think his statement may indicate one of the reaasons he failed.

He was perhaps just a bit too respectful of the role he had taken on and overawed by the job. If he'd been more pushy, had more self-belief, been prepared to tell his teams just to go flat out for a win, banged a few heads together in the defence, etc., we might have seen some better results.

In a strange way, I'd rather he'd gone kicking and screaming, telling us we don't know what we're going to be missing.

If the manager doesn't believe he's the best thing since sliced bread, his teams won't either.

Why are people all of a sudden mellowing over this bloke?

He is the worst manager in our history, that's a long time folks!

He knew exactly what he was doing when he cowardly resigned his post at SHA by email and he was paid a phenomenal amount of money to mess up big time at Villa.

Unless he is completely stupid he will also know that his brand of football is negative and safety first and not meant to entertain anyone.

I just hope he never gets an opportunity to coach or manage younger players as him and his kind are responsible for the fact that British national teams are so dull, boring and under achieving in major tournaments. He will coach all the skill out of a player and suck the passion and beauty out of the game.

His brand of management should be consigned to the history books along with the dinosaurs.

Why are people all of a sudden mellowing over this bloke?

He is the worst manager in our history, that's a long time folks!

He knew exactly what he was doing when he cowardly resigned his post at SHA by email and he was paid a phenomenal amount of money to mess up big time at Villa.

Unless he is completely stupid he will also know that his brand of football is negative and safety first and not meant to entertain anyone.

I just hope he never gets an opportunity to coach or manage younger players as him and his kind are responsible for the fact that British national teams are so dull, boring and under achieving in major tournaments. He will coach all the skill out of a player and suck the passion and beauty out of the game.

His brand of management should be consigned to the history books along with the dinosaurs.

Agreed. I really don't understand the sudden McLeish love-in. Just because he's not our manager anymore doesn't mean he didn't drag this club through the mud. Yeah the statement is alright, but was there any need to take a little dig at us? Our expectations were far from high.

Seems people are quick to forget all the excuses. Horrible man.

It's good think McLeish on two separate ways; True, he was utterly horrible manager and deserves all the criticism he gets for his managerial work but people should remember not to go into personal attacks. He easily could've gone with "Fans never accepted me and caused me to get fired" or something like that, but instead he took the firing him more graciously.

I think his statement may indicate one of the reasons he failed.

He was perhaps just a bit too respectful of the role he had taken on and overawed by the job. If he'd been more pushy, had more self-belief, been prepared to tell his teams just to go flat out for a win, banged a few heads together in the defence, etc., we might have seen some better results.

In a strange way, I'd rather he'd gone kicking and screaming, telling us we don't know what we're going to be missing.

If the manager doesn't believe he's the best thing since sliced bread, his teams won't either.

Very good post Briny.

Posted in the how do you feel thread but seems just as appropriate for this one too:-

Sorry but I never agreed with the personal abuse against McLeish and I do feel a bit sorry for him.

This was a marriage doomed to fail right from the first day and the inevitable divorce needs to be handled as painlessly as possible.

Randy Lerner & Faulkner take a huge responsibility in all this IMHO. They chose to ignore the fans and made a commercially disastrous

decision.

I'm not celebrating ....I just feel kinda releived it's all over as far as McLeish is concerned and leaving AVFC.

I just hope this isn't the end of the clear out, because don't let this be any kind of distraction from the players, who couldn't give a flying fig

about AVFC that we need to get shot of at the football club.

When are THEY leaving?!!!

Until they are got rid of as well - I pretty much am convinced we could bring in Alex Ferguson and we'd still be gash!!

This :!:

Great post Julie

Think we need to draw a line under this now. It was wrong, it was almost a complete disaster, he has gone, he has said his piece (with a lot of grace good wishes). With all of that, I think this thread should be locked and we move on.

Appalling manager. His track record suggested he would be, and he went on to prove that the fans fears were not unfounded.

However, he was not at fault for his appointment.

I, for one, will not be blinded by the relief of his departure. Whoever made the decision in the first place is the person to blame for our appalling season - not McLeish. Everyone and their dog knew what McLeish offers. The decision to hire him was as ridiculous as the thought of Randy hiring Nick Leeson as operations manager for MBNA.

The lack of any other 'heads rolling' suggests to me that it was Randy's decision - which is a worry.

Clueless at the top - and the relief of McLeish leaving does not change this fact. Let us hope this is a lesson learned.

I don't have any time for McLeish. I've nothing personal against him but as a manager he was dull, tactically clueless and completely out of his depth. Some of his post match interviews were an absolute joke as well, players constantly being talked down and some of the rubbish he came out with that we needed to work on every week (and constantly made the same mistakes).

I wouldn't wish this manager on anyone again (well maybe small heath mark 2).

That may have been me. I think it was reported (or assumed) that he was on about £3m per year. We sacked him with 2 years of his contract left. So that'd indicate £6m to cover his wages for the remainder of the contract. Don't think it'd be any less than his remaining wages, as he clearly didn't want to leave but was pushed.

It's easy to be gracious when you're swanning off with a minimum of three million **** pounds. What a joke of a manager. And what a joke of a decision to appoint him. Not one person in the football thought "Ooo, Villa have done well there." EVERYONE said what a weird one it was, and that he'd have to work very hard. He didn't, he just did what he normally does and managed badly.

He probably got more as well. God I hate modern football.

Gordon Strachan, what he did at Boro was something to shout about, knew they couldn't afford to sack him, so tore up his contract and turned down any pay off.

Â