The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

It's a real shame that Big Ron has become senile :|

He made a fool of himself in the whole interview as did Ray Houghton. It just shows how out of touch he has become.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now everybody should be renewing/buying season tickets? Oui?

Will be doing that tomorrow, I would have done today but I was too busy. And I will get £10 of each of my two tickets for renewing before the end of May so that buys a litre bottle of Gordons to celebrate the departure of AMcL.

Happy days :cheers:

Apologies if this has bin dunne.

"This is the worst year that Villa has had in a generation. There are a whole group of fans who have never known it this bad for Villa so I am not surprised (by their reaction) at all."

Certainly didn't mince his words.

It's going to make the drive down from Yorkhire a little easier to bear I hope. I was never quite bothered about the whole SHA thing, but as the season wore on it was of growing concern that I was spending 4 hours in a car on a Saturday to watch yet another spineless, clueless, and inept performance. We suffered from injury and illness as a squad, but that's really no excuse because as a Premiership club we should not only have players good enough, but at worst players who are going to go out there and give 100%.

I don't know what McLeish did at half-time but against Stoke and Spurs we looked by far the better team for 45 minutes, and then returned after the break looking like the entire team had been administered rohypnol.

Of the names mentioned so far, I'd prefer Rodgers to Lambert - the former's Swansea team came to VP and ripped us a new arsehole, the latter's team I think will struggle in their second season. AVB? Well he was given a "project" at Chelsea and failed - maybe Villa's situation is a little similar in places but I suspect the team didn't want to play for him and we can't have that nonsense again.

Whoever it is that takes over, I just hope it's a popular appointment.

I have great respect for Big Ron for what he did for us but what he's said there is just ridiculous. The SHA connection has been massively overemphasised by the media. Even when he first joined it wasn't the main reason why we didn't want him. Big Ron says "If he'd come straight down from Rangers, everyone would have said he's a great signing for them." While that may be true to an extent (although I don't think people would be calling it a great signing) it was his dreadful record at SHA that put most people off. What Ron and most of the media are missing is that it wasn't the fact that he came from SHA that was the problem, it was what he did there. It pisses me off that we're getting criticised for not wanting a manager with two relegations in three Premier League seasons and a record of low-scoring dour football. Even now that we've been proven correct we're still getting flak. It's ridiculous. Also, our squad may not be great but it certainly should be finishing higher than 16th, or at the very least not be the most boring team in the league.

I suspect the so-called trouble makers & liabilities in the squad will have been exposed after this season. Any manager who has watched the Premier League over the past two seasons will have seen similar frailties and repeated stuff-ups from the same players under two consecutive managers - enough to ensure that they will be shown the door or at least a seat on the bench.
Hope so. I'll be pissed if a new manager comes in and gives the likes of Warnock, Dunne and Collins yet ANOTHER chance. I know McLeish was lauded by some for giving Warnock especially another chance but it was a massive mistake.

He didn't have the money to replace those players.

He did though. He spent nigh on £10m on N'Zogbia and bought Hutton when we didn't need a right-back at all.

I am glad he has gone and unlike some others I have no respect for him as a man either.A man would stand up and admit his mistakes, not hide behind excuses and blame other people.

You are a shit manager McLeish and you don"t admit to your owne mistakes.

I don"t wish you good luck ( because you will no doubt go on and destroy another team ) but I do wish good luck to whichever team you go to next.

They are going to need it.

Agree completely.

Totally disagree Mantis.

How much do you reckon it would have taken to replace a Premiership standard defence, i.e, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Luke Young and Freidal especially when you also factor in the need to replace either Downing or Ashley Young?

He didn't have enough money to replace like for like and to state anything to the contrary is just being a little ridiculous.

Good article on f365.

http://www.football365.com/faves/7758609/McLeish-Responsible-For-His-Own-Downfall

At least some of the national media see the full picture

I just wish the clowns at the BBC would be a little bit more objective as this article has been. But then again ever since St Martin left the media and paticularly the BBC have never had a good word to say about Aston Villa.

Totally disagree Mantis.

How much do you reckon it would have taken to replace a Premiership standard defence, i.e, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Luke Young and Freidal especially when you also factor in the need to replace either Downing or Ashley Young?

He didn't have enough money to replace like for like and to state anything to the contrary is just being a little ridiculous.

He didn't have enough money to completely overhaul our squad as is needed but he certainly had a fair bit and on the whole spent it poorly. Even with the squad he had, finishing 16th with the second lowest amount of goals scored and only 7 wins all season is absolutely terrible and indefencible.

Yes Mantis he didn't have enough money to replace the defence and thats my point.

He did make good signings in Keane and Given. N'Zogbia might come good next season with the right DM behind him and with less tracking back to do. I'm also not sure that N'Zogbia was played in the right position to get the best out of him and if Martinez is to become our new manager then we might see a different N'Zogbia next season? Even if we don't and the new manager wants to sell N'Zogbia, i don't think we'll lose too much money on him.

Hutton although improving was McLeish's duff signing and every manager makes them, even the great Fergie.

I would hope that there will be a cull when the new manager comes in and Hutton is one of the first to go, maybe to one of the newly promoted teams. Can't see us getting anymore than 2m for him though.

Yes Mantis he didn't have enough money to replace the defence and thats my point.

He did make good signings in Keane and Given. N'Zogbia might come good next season with the right DM behind him and with less tracking back to do. I'm also not sure that N'Zogbia was played in the right position to get the best out of him and if Martinez is to become our new manager then we might see a different N'Zogbia next season? Even if we don't and the new manager wants to sell N'Zogbia, i don't think we'll lose too much money on him.

Hutton although improving was McLeish's duff signing and every manager makes them, even the great Fergie.

I would hope that there will be a cull when the new manager comes in and Hutton is one of the first to go, maybe to one of the newly promoted teams. Can't see us getting anymore than 2m for him though.

And my point is that he still had a fair amount of money which he spent poorly.

No. Your original point was that McLeish should have replaced Collins, Dunne and Warnock. I countered with the opinion that he had to replace Freidal, Luke Young and one of Downing or Ashley Young so he quite obviously didn't have the budget to replace all of those players which you now have agreed with.

How he spent his available budget is a different debate which i have also commented on.

Who signed Dunne,collins and Warnock?

It's not just about that though is it, 2 seasons ago it was part of one of the best defences in the Premier League. I think our defensive problems start in midfield and lack of good ball retention.

No. Your original point was that McLeish should have replaced Collins, Dunne and Warnock. I countered with the opinion that he had to replace Freidal, Luke Young and one of Downing or Ashley Young so he quite obviously didn't have the budget to replace all of those players which you now have agreed with.

How he spent his available budget is a different debate which i have also commented on.

I think he could have. He didn't need to replace Luke Young for example as we already had 3 players that were adept at right-back (Cuellar, Lichaj and Herd). Same goes for Friedel. Guzan is a very capable goalkeeper although I admit that Given has been good for us.

Oh, and he certainly could've got a winger for cheaper than £10m. I think if he was shrewd enough in the transfer market he could've replaced Warnock and at least one of Dunne and Collins.

He did have to replace Luke Young. Lichaj and Herd were unproven in the Premiership and Cuellar wasn't a CB. How many times was MON slated on here for not buying a RB?

Signing Given was one of the main reasons why we stayed in the Premiership.

It's alright stating that he could have spent less on a winger but who and for how much less? Would that have left enough to buy a quality CB? I don't think so. N'Zogbia was the stand out wide man available, much lauded on here as well and everyone was delighted we got him.

He did have to replace Luke Young. Lichaj and Herd were unproven in the Premiership and Cuellar wasn't a CB. How many times was MON slated on here for not buying a RB?

Signing Given was one of the main reasons why we stayed in the Premiership.

It's alright stating that he could have spent less on a winger but who and for how much less? Would that have left enough to buy a quality CB? I don't think so. N'Zogbia was the stand out wide man available, much lauded on here as well and everyone was delighted we got him.

No he didn't. Herd even put in a MoTM performance at RB before Hutton came in. Cuellar is also more than capable at RB.

Not saying it's would've been easy but he definitely could've shaken up the defence a little. Still, he would have only ended up signing Dann or Johnson anyway so maybe we dodged a bullet?

Â