The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Like others have mentioned, McLeish is really just the result of a series of catastrophic board decisions over the last few seasons. He's terrible, yes... but we knew this, everyone in football knew this, except our board. He won't be sacked, not after paying compensation to get him. Bizarre decision no. 45738. I honestly think the board will stick with him even if/when he relegates us and what actually would be the point in sacking him? The board have shown to be completely and utterly useless in selecting the right man to take us forward. I fear future appointments could even get worse, if that's even possible.

So for me, my anger and frustration lies with the board, more than Mcleish - I don't blame McLeish for taking the job - He's just not very good at managing football teams, not his fault. The board should know this.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two penneth -

Eck had not been helped by Randy and is taking the pain as a result.

I don't think its too much to expect to be able to drop two talented but mental luxuries who told him to f### off the previous week. Problem is our squad is so thin we don't have the cover.

AM has to take the blame for these insipid performances against the top 6/7 because each game is exactly same. Heskey may be better at defending than SI or Zog but newsflash ! the bloke is not a midfielder and if you play him there we are going to struggle to build the play.

Albrighton while a worthy trier is not good enough at the highest level - again he doesn't have the ability/football brain to keep possession in tight situations and build the play.

Unfortunately we don't have squad to leave players like SI and Zog out right now - especially when in the last two games we actually played well in attack. It was the bleeding defence which let us down against Newcastle.

AM's post match interview was nothing short of delusional - yes we went in with a similar plan to Everton but Everton harried and hassled and did what they do. They also had players on pitch who can string 5 passes together.

I am trying and trying to believe that AM can turn it around - I love to be optimistic when it comes to Villa.

All I can say is I hope they are fitting the revolving door now because if we are to be any kind of decent side next year the footballing staff turnover will be large to say the least.

We played on the counter most of the time under MON. The reason it don't work no is we had a good back four to soak up pressure, we had Milner and Barry who could keep the ball and pace on the wings. That is why counter attacking football worked

OK McLeish is not playing to our strengths but that is maybe to cover other weaknesses we have. Our full backs need help and to be fair to Albrighton he is not the best at defending

I really do think without some investment any manager will struggle, We have a unbalanced side. Weather McLeish will sign the right players is another matter but he needs a chance to have his own players and not use a squad which has been created by 3 managers in 3 seasons, all with different ideas on how we should play and what players we should buy.

Very good post . He will be given money in the summer :!: but it's if he can get the right players and the jury is out if he can coach them . I would love us to play like Swansea but the truth is we don't have the players to do it .

We played on the counter most of the time under MON. The reason it don't work no is we had a good back four to soak up pressure, we had Milner and Barry who could keep the ball and pace on the wings. That is why counter attacking football worked

OK McLeish is not playing to our strengths but that is maybe to cover other weaknesses we have. Our full backs need help and to be fair to Albrighton he is not the best at defending

I really do think without some investment any manager will struggle, We have a unbalanced side. Weather McLeish will sign the right players is another matter but he needs a chance to have his own players and not use a squad which has been created by 3 managers in 3 seasons, all with different ideas on how we should play and what players we should buy.

Very good post . He will be given money in the summer :!: but it's if he can get the right players and the jury is out if he can coach them . I would love us to play like Swansea but the truth is we don't have the players to do it .

I disagree, i think we have a team capable of playing football, just that AM decides against it...and Collins cant help himself.

I don't think any of them can help themselves. Watching the game yesterday, it was painful to watch how many times one of our players would just lump it forward when there were easier options available.

I don't know how we can ever hope to achieve any level of ball retention whilst playing the likes of Albrighton, Heskey & Collins in the side. None of them are intersted in playing football.

I disagree, i think we have a team capable of playing football, just that AM decides against it...and Collins cant help himself.

In 1990 we finished second season after Venglos nearly got us relegated , Big Ron came in bought seven players changed the way we played and well did ok for 3 seasons . I just think we need at least 5 new players the club needs freshening up . I was totally against AM coming and to date can't say I am excatly over the moon with the football but I do think whoever is in charge in the summer has to change the playing staff ! Too many are past their sell by dates and lost the motivation and it probably started when we lost the League Cup final . Its been downhill since

We played some lovely stuff against QPR and thought we played some nice stuff against Arsenal, Wolves and Newcastle in patches. He just sets his teams up with the aim of not having a go. He said as much in his post match interview against City. If we he have a go we would have been ripped to shreds.

David Moyes didnt have that attitude with Everton and guess what they beat Citeh.

McLeish is just a massive cock

It has been suggested from many quarters that the reason the majority of Villa fans have not taken to our current manager (to even write his name makes my blood boil) is because of his previous connections with SHA. I would like to offer an argument as to why I believe this is not the case in any way shape or form.

1. It would be very prudent to open a pole to see how many people on here would swap Chris Houghton for our current manager. I for one would swap in a heartbeat. CH has done (and this is not easy to write) an exceptional job taking over at a club in real turmoil, having to oversee a major overhaul of a playing squad reeling from relegation, taking them to the verge of automatic promotion places, 5th round of FA cup and PLAYING FOOTBALL THE RIGHT WAY. He is the model of professionalism and integrity and seems to have the respect of the players both from SHA and his previous role.

Yesterday, 90 mins on the clock, Dunne goes off injured, 1-0 down Bannan / Weimann on bench and he brought on Baker as a replacement centre back??? I could not stop laughing. I know it probably made no difference but at least show the intent!!!

We lost a game 1-0 yesterday and he comes on TV saying how well the tactics worked......???.......WE LOST YOU PRICK!!!

My 14yr old son who has been a STH since he was 7 for the first time ever yesterday asked to leave early and also questioned why we come to home games and the worst thing was I agreed with his argument!! He still enjoys away games cos at least we have a laugh and a good day out but home games are just no fun.

It took me a lot of persuading that we have to come because we are Villa and thats what we do. For better or worse til death do us part.....but I gotta be honest £700 for two season tickets is not the most attractive offer I will be given to spend £700 on this year. I want a 3D Telly??

If we replace him with someone like Lee Clark, Paolo Di Canio, Paul Lambert or my preferred choice Brendan Rodgers it will excite me and I will want to go.....right now I really dont....its a habit......and an expensive one with no hope of anything good coming from it!!!!

It's pathetic that even now the media insist on making out that McLeish is not liked because of where he came from. If they don't say it directly they imply it by constantly calling McLeish "the former Birmingham City manager" whenever they're talking about fans not liking him. It's just ridiculous. How many of us here wouldn't take Chris Hughton at Villa? Exactly.

The media can go **** themselves, especially Des Kelly.

I would love us to play like Swansea but the truth is we don't have the players to do it .
With all due respect, tripe.

The same things were said about sha and what is the common denominator ?

It actually led to the famous Krulak "just imagine what he could do if backed comment" which, by the way, is a very similar jam tomorrow comment as the first bit of your post I have not quoted.

In addition I would just add that a team with supposed attacking talent like Bent, Agbonlahor, Nzogbia, Ireland and Keane should be able to show a lot more attacking and attractive intent than they are currently displaying.

Give Mcleish Real Madrid, give him Tottingham the way they played against Newcastle and I bet you a pound to a pinch of shit they would be two of the most negative teams you had seen.

You can take the manager out of the shit but you cant take the shit out of the manager I am afraid

I would love us to play like Swansea but the truth is we don't have the players to do it .
With all due respect, tripe.

I agree with Richard that is absolute bollocks. As a front six he has the likes of Ireland, Keane, Bent, NZogbia, Petrov Gardner, Gabby, Albrighton, Delph to choose from. You seriously saying that they are not just as capable of playing attractive attacking football as the players that Swansea have.

Richard summed it up perfectly with this line:

You can take the manager out of the shit but you can't take the shit out of the manager I am afraid

Dwight Yorke was spot on yesterday when he said that the performance was unacceptable. He needs to go before its too late.

I agree, he has to go.

However, while between 30,000 and 35,000 fans continue to turn up at VP for every home game and while only circa 70 fans protest and while people keep coming onto this forum slagging off those that get up off their arse to protest then nothing will happen on that front.

Post-match interview said everything about McLeish's attitude. He doesn't seek to cause damage to the opposition, merely to minimize the damage they do to us. To only lose 1-0 is seen by him as a successful result because he sees it as a result that isn't bad enough for people to get on his back too much.

It's really disappointing that he constantly blames luck for us conceding/not scoring - it's precisely the opposite of luck, it's exactly what you expect from the way the game was contested. They had most of the possession in our half of the pitch and won the vast majority of the set pieces, so a goal against was always likely. We had very little attacking possession and created almost nothing, so a goal for us was always unlikely. There was no luck involved in either our 0 or their 1. If anything, we were lucky to only concede 1. If Aguero had his shooting boots on, it might've been a heavier defeat.

At this point, I think it would be better for long-term of the club if the run-in is bad enough that the owners are forced to sack McLeish, because I've yet to see anything that convinces me that he will take us anywhere positive in the future.

We need a new manager who would bring back optimism to the fans - and this summer there should be more opportunity with funds to change things around, I do accept that McLeish's hands were somewhat tied by the wagebill. Heskey's wages alone should easily cover wages for 2 or 3 positive signings - find some players who are keen to prove themselves at top level, stop limiting ourselves to 'proven' (read: overpaid & complacent) Premier League stalwarts - same goes for managers. Please no more mediocrities who are 'proven' by finishing midtable elsewhere (i.e. NOT Bruce/Curbishley) but someone with some fresh ideas who has the drive to prove themselves in the Premier League with Villa.

Â