The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

The Next four games will prove McLeish's worth as manager, away to Wigan & Blackburn, then at home to Fulham & Bolton.. Think we should wait off judgement til then, no shame in losing to top of the table 1-0.

Nope sorry I'm not holding off judgement, he has to go.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tactically inept performance from the manager

Were at home so instead of taking the game to them we sit back and park the bus in front of dwindling home support which is getting smaller by the week due to such shit and horrible football

Did we even have a shot in the first half?

More tactical masterstrokes from the manager playing Heskey on the wing dropping Nzogbia after he's just scored at home no wonder the bloke has zero confidence and form. Heskey would struggle to get in a championship side he really is rubbish

Is it the McLeish way where you can only start playing football when you go behind i can think of at least a dozen times this season where its happened isn't that backward not once have i seen us start on the front foot and take the game to a team

Get him out before its to late if were to stay in this league it will be by default because thank god there are 3 teams worse than us... The gap is closing and the trapdoor is opening

I know one thing if we had a more adventurous manager and not a clueless one we would have more points on the board than we do now Houllier had his faults but at least his side attacked teams

anybody seen that scene in the Inbetweeners where Will shouts **** off to all those pigeons around his feet?

that encapsulates how i feel about McLeish..pure anger and frustration with the fact that he is here annoying us and feeding off the club and won't piss off...

I just wanna shout "**** off" in his face soooooo bad....

can Villa not have "Win a dinner with Alex McLeish competition instead?"

The Next four games will prove McLeish's worth as manager, away to Wigan & Blackburn, then at home to Fulham & Bolton.. Think we should wait off judgement til then, no shame in losing to top of the table 1-0.

Theirs no shame in losing to any team.......as long as OUR team plays to win.Playing not to lose at home is a disgrace to all Villa fans!

This is reason alone to sack him NOW!! It was disgusting!

He needs to go because we know his Anti Football is the only way he can play!! QPR fans at the start were chanting Boring Boring Villa and nothing has changed

Does anybody know a good picure editing site where I can merge and Image of Eck and a Dinosaur??

Yep had enough now, gave him a handful of tokens to use as a free pass but he used the last ones against Newcastle with the subs he made. Then yesterday with the exclusion of Nzogbia, Ireland, the starting of Heskey on the right, the negativity and the interview afterwards. Just too many basics that are wrong.

I know its City and you have to keep it tight, but theres a difference between keeping it tight and then just having no interest in going forward bar the last 4 minutes.

Please leave our fine club.

Ive nothing against the bloke as a person, i think he conducts himself very well and as ive said before he showed he has a huge set of balls by accepting the job in the first place. But im sorry, ive give him chance to prove himself but im afraid he simply is not going to cut it at this level. I respect him and in all fairness he's done his best but sadly his best isnt good enough.

We are Aston Villa and with the team we have we should not be sitting in 15th place having won only 6 of our 25 matches this season. Something needs to be done now otherwise i think we will be dragged into a relegation scrap...which we may not win.

Get rid of him now and like another poster said, get Curbs in until the end of the season. The next 4 games we should be winning, but my confidence in Mcleish is so low I can't see us getting much from them. Get Curbs in, new leaf, rejuvinate and lets go for it..

I am disappointed in McLeish. I thought after the Tottenham and Liverpool games he had learned a lesson that we, the supporters, will not stand for going in to games playing to basically keep the score down. It was something we did on a number of occasions under his predecessor and its simply not good enough for this proud club. We are better than that. Its quite apparent though after yesterday that no lessons had been learned and quite simply this is the McLeish way.

It seems he is scared when we go in against the better teams. Scared of getting a good hiding. The games against Arsenal and Chelsea where we gave it a real go seem to be the exception to the rule.

I don't have a problem going in to games, especially against the better sides, soaking up a fair bit of pressure and then looking to spring on the break with some pace and real intent. Its pretty much how we achieved our recent top 6 finishes. Under McLeish though its simply a case of soak up the pressure get the ball up to the half way line, panic due to lack of forward options/movement, give it away and then soak up more pressure.

He, and us as supporters, have blamed the defence for conceding too many goals from set pieces but for me when you are soaking up the amount of pressure we are in games, pressure that we are inviting due to how we are set up, then it is inevitable you are eventually going to concede. I am not sure how many corners we conceded yesterday but it must have been in double figures and we also conceded a fair amount of free kicks around the box. Law of averages then says you will conceded eventually.

I think we'll stumble on to safety this season and finish on around 38 - 44 points. Come the end of the season there will be talk of a rebuild. For me though it really doesn't matter if we had a totally new first 11 come next season. Due to the managers mentality we will always be served up the kind of dross we were yesterday more often than not. We will get the odd game where we will play well but they will be the exception to the rule.

This squad of players isn't great but its decent and any squad containing Bent, Gabby, NZogbia, Ireland, Keane, Albrighton should be able to go in to games confident of being able to give the opposition something to worry about. When a players first thought though is a defensive minded one then you are always going to struggle to impose yourself on a game in a positive way.

I look at the likes of Swansea and Norwich and envy them and how sad is it as an Aston Villa supporter I should be saying that. They have managers who will have a go though regardless of the opposition. As an Aston Villa supporter that is the least we should expect for this great club to not be scared of anyone and to have a go. Sadly under McLeish it isn't going to happen is it. He quite simply isn't made that way and he isn't going to change regardless of how much he is given to spend. For that reason he needs to go.

In the grand scheme of things, a 1-0 loss to Man City isn't bad. Many people were going to the game assuming we would be completely turned over.

Perhaps Heskey's physical presence did help with the defensive side of things?

My opinion is that McLeish made a good choice in dropping Warnock, and a clever alteration by bringing Cuellar in (he could have easily put Baker, Lichaj, Hutton or Stevens at left back).

The midfield was set up well, Albrighton back to fitness to hit them on the couner, Petrov & Gardner (presumably because Clark was injured?) in the middle, but then Heskey on the right was slightly less attacking than many of us would have liked.

But then we did play with Bent & Keane up top.

If we'd have played Albrighton, Bent, Keane & N'Zogbia OR Ireland with only Petrov & Gardner in the middle and we'd have been trounced 5-0 or 6-0, then people would just be slating him for going too 'Gung Ho' and not giving Petrov or Gardner enough cover. I really don't think he can win.

We contained them until their goal, and we did have attempts on goal ourselves.

City looked like they wanted to just keep possession for most of the game, even when it was 0-0. Our players did work hard to get the ball back - mostly Keano! But we lost to one poorly defended corner.

I came away from the game thinking we could have had a point, and that would have been more than most of us had expected.

I understand people's frustrations that we didn't attack more, but I really don't understand the anger at losing a game 1-0 when we did attack, we did have chances on target and we did contain them for the majority of the game.

He does really need to pick up some points in the next few games though, if he doesn't then we are going to be dangerously close to the drop.

I can't understand why he bought on Baker at the end for Dunne. Surely with only 1 possible attack left in the game and losing 1-0, you chuck a striker on and try and get one last opportunity. Not send a defender on to preserve a 1-0 defeat!!!

i was screaming that at the top of my lungs, left straight after, sums us up perfectly

In the grand scheme of things, a 1-0 loss to Man City isn't bad. Many people were going to the game assuming we would be completely turned over.

Perhaps Heskey's physical presence did help with the defensive side of things?

My opinion is that McLeish made a good choice in dropping Warnock, and a clever alteration by bringing Cuellar in (he could have easily put Baker, Lichaj, Hutton or Stevens at left back).

The midfield was set up well, Albrighton back to fitness to hit them on the couner, Petrov & Gardner (presumably because Clark was injured?) in the middle, but then Heskey on the right was slightly less attacking than many of us would have liked.

But then we did play with Bent & Keane up top.

If we'd have played Albrighton, Bent, Keane & N'Zogbia OR Ireland with only Petrov & Gardner in the middle and we'd have been trounced 5-0 or 6-0, then people would just be slating him for going too 'Gung Ho' and not giving Petrov or Gardner enough cover. I really don't think he can win.

We contained them until their goal, and we did have attempts on goal ourselves.

City looked like they wanted to just keep possession for most of the game, even when it was 0-0. Our players did work hard to get the ball back - mostly Keano! But we lost to one poorly defended corner.

I came away from the game thinking we could have had a point, and that would have been more than most of us had expected.

I understand people's frustrations that we didn't attack more, but I really don't understand the anger at losing a game 1-0 when we did attack, we did have chances on target and we did contain them for the majority of the game.

He does really need to pick up some points in the next few games though, if he doesn't then we are going to be dangerously close to the drop.

again it's not losing 1-0 it is the manner we lost in.....and your points above are a bit rose tinted.

I could argue why his decisions were wrong and go through each of your points but I'm running out of energy keep arguing and debating about this manager. If people are happy or not willing to change the issues we have I'm starting to lose hope, I just can't see how people can defend this and then McLeish have the hide and say what he did in the post match interview......just very sad about it all......

I don't have a problem going in to games, especially against the better sides, soaking up a fair bit of pressure and then looking to spring on the break with some pace and real intent. Its pretty much how we achieved our recent top 6 finishes. Under McLeish though its simply a case of soak up the pressure get the ball up to the half way line, panic due to lack of forward options/movement, give it away and then soak up more pressure.

Mark, I'm with you when you say that you don't have a problem going into games against the top sides, looking to soak up pressure and then attack on the counter.

But you say

Under McLeish though its simply a case of soak up the pressure get the ball up to the half way line, panic due to lack of forward options/ movement, give it away and then soak up more pressure
'.

Do you really think that that's what McLeish has advised the players to do?

Is there not also a chance that it could be due to the poor movement/ lack of ability of our players?

At times Yesterday, Me and the guys around Me were screaming at some of the players to work harder.

On another day, with a few better players (or our current players a few years younger), we could easily have got a point or more against a top City side.

That's exactly what we did against Man City last year, when we won 1-0. I'm disappointed at the loss, and I would love us to be the next Arsenal (or even try to play like Swansea) but is it completely McLeish's fault that the players didn't take their chances?

Lost interest when Lerner appointed him as manager tbh was a signal of our intent which was mid table doldrums and were not even achieving that

Was willing to give him a chance but he's the worst manager i have ever seen at Villa which has lead to our worst run in PL history

When you think it can't get any worse you look at the PL table and see the gap shortening between where we are and the relegation places and the manager's past history for taking sides down not looking good at all.

Â