The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Thats the impression i got from Holt also 'dodgyknees' that under O'Neill we had a very real chance of breaking into the top four but then the investment dried up and O'Neill left.

With the obvious exception, we are the eternal under achievers and i just wonder if O'Neill had stayed, would we be in the same position in the league? O'Neill's record with Sunderland would suggest not and although i have never been a great fan of O'Neill, especially with his choice of players, surely his motivational skills alone would have seen us still challenging for that sixth spot?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something needs to be done and fast imo. The players are surely being affected by the negativity that permeates the club thanks to AM. Sometimes I imagine being Darren Bent or Stephen Ireland and that really puts into perspective how shit things are.

A quick one on holt - had many discussions with him on twitter and he really isn't that bad and you have a good discussion with him.

On McLeish - he simply is underperforming. Don't want to rake over the reasons as they have been laid bare here, but for the same reason Mick was sacked, McLeish should be. Lambert and Rodgers. Play attractive attacking football, without star names and are much higher up table. Mick had worst home record in 15 1/2 years, McLeish's is worse than that. As Damian on VillaBlog points out, he is a 1 in 4 manager. 6 in 24 is not good enough, whatever the target set by the board.

McLeish's record after 25 games is almost an exact replica of MONs first 25 games with us

I don't think the club can justify getting rid now at this stage in the season

Come the summer, yes possibly

Thing is though CI, MoN then went on a decent run. Also don't think you can compare seasons in that way, league is much weaker now than it was when MoN arrived. With a bit of attacking intent, anyone can beat anyone else!

McLeish's record after 25 games is almost an exact replica of MONs first 25 games with us

I take your point, but MON arrived with about 10 days before the opening game against Arsenal and signed just 1 player (Petrov) and had a significantly weaker squad imo. McLeish had a full pre-season and spent nearly £20m in the summer (although I accept we sold 2 of our better players from last season too), with a stronger squad overall from the one MON inherited (plus a 20+ goal a season striker than MON never had).

You knew with MON that he wouldn’t get the team relegated. McLeish has a history of it.

From memory the squad we have now is far superior to the one MON inherited from DOL.

yeah id agree with this.. MON is just a much much much much better manager, no question.. His ability to get the best out of players far surpasses AM.. MON makes players better than they really are. or just makes them believe they are, and hey it did work..but i think whwen the players looks at AM they have no respect for him.. Hes lost the dressing room, and his time is over.. he needs to go.

From memory the squad we have now is far superior to the one MON inherited from DOL.

yeah id agree with this.. MON is just a much much much much better manager, no question.. His ability to get the best out of players far surpasses AM.. MON makes players better than they really are. or just makes them believe they are, and hey it did work..but i think whwen the players looks at AM they have no respect for him.. Hes lost the dressing room, and his time is over.. he needs to go.

PS: sorry about the double post, must have clicked the button twice..

It's hard to compare apples with apples when it's only a handful of games. I know AM had one of the easiest draws in the first 7 games but there are tough games coming. I have no idea what MON's first 25 games was like.

Show me the comparison after a full season - then I'll take note.

It's hard to compare apples with apples when it's only a handful of games. I know AM had one of the easiest draws in the first 7 games but there are tough games coming. I have no idea what MON's first 25 games was like.

Show me the comparison after a full season - then I'll take note.

Thing is its very difficult to compare across seasons but MoN got 5 more wins between now and end of season. Do we really expect to see AmC having won 11 games at end of season? For me 8 at best.

There is no point in comparing MON's first season with this season, firstly MON came to the job late in the summer transfer window and had no time to mould his team as he would have liked, secondly there was always hope that we would improve with financing from Lerner in the summer after a big splurge in the January window.

This season McLeish has had all summer to prepare his squad how he likes so he doesn't have that excuse, there is little sign to me that the team are or will get better as they are making the same mistakes over and over, and little sign that Lerner is going to finance a decent rebuild of the squad in the summer.

So the big difference in those two seasons is/was hope! Previously we had been rubbish and relegation fodder, but could see the shoots of recovery, this time we're heading in the other direction.

Not sure I agree, don't forget we had bouma Laursen mellberg Barry

Plus MON had cash to buy Petrov Carew and Young

The squads were similar in capability but MON inherited a much better defence

Not sure I agree, don't forget we had bouma Laursen mellberg Barry

Plus MON had cash to buy Petrov Carew and Young

The squads were similar in capability but MON inherited a much better defence

Laursen had played about 10 or so games for Aston Villa before MON arrived. His best years were while MON was in change. Samoe for Bouma, he was rubbish his first season. Barry was on his way to Portsmouth for 4 milion pounds until MON arrived and kept him. Says it all.

King Olof, was of course, king Olof.

MON's first season squad was extremely poor, much much weaker than this season's.

Also lets not forget that MON did not inherit one of the leagues best stikers... But a better defence..AM had money to buy N'zogbia and look how well that has worked out for him.. And i re-call Ashley young was about the amout of money right? Simple fact is McLeish struggles to get the best out of players. We are seeing it with N'zogbia... if he was playing for MON i think he would be doing alot better.

Â