The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

The problem with losing is.. it can almost become acceptable.

don't get sucked in...it ain't acceptable and never will be. and drawing with one point is a defeat in disguise.

Winning is the only mentality to fill your head with.... both players and fans.

This is what is scary. Winning becomes a habit and the same thing can be said about defeat.

Football, like most things, depends enormously on confidence and mentality. As things stand the fans and players have little confidence and that losing mentality is slowly creeping in.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people who are just focusing on the Man City game at the moment are missing the point. The truth is we have got 2 points out of our last 7 home games, a total of 21 points available. Yes, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Citeh where amongst those games, but so where Swansea, QPR and Everton. Really unacceptable considering we are Aston Villa. On paper we should have beaten Swansea and QPR, and Everton at a push. On paper we could have given Liverpool and Man Utd a run for their money, but we did roll over and die without putting up a fight. Only against Arsenal did we look interested, and in the 2nd half against QPR. It's all very well blaming bad luck, but I believe in football you need to make your own luck, and blaming losses or draws on luck and nothing else is just dodging the real issues. The real issues is that the lack of confidence, the poor attacking play and the calamity that has been our defence in most of these games all goes back to the training pitch. That is where the players are drilled, motivated and managed day in and day out, and with weak management comes the porblems that we're seeing week in week out on the pitch. There's not even any sign of it potentially improving, there's no sign of anything good about our play (Robbie Keane excused from that), the only glimmer of light I can see from all of this is Stephen Ireland starting to look good. That management team needs replacing badly, and it was a huge mistake to appoint them in the first place. Get rid, and get Curbs or even Grayson in as an interim appointment, then look at it in the summer. Grayson with a DOF might be an interesting shout.

On the 'Sunday Supplement' (Sky Sports) it was stated that we flirted with a Champions League place with O'Neill but when Lerner started his cost cutting and O'Neill subsequently left along with two of our best players, AM took over a squad that was mid table at best. It was then stated by Oliver Holt that it is now difficult for Villa fans to accept that we are a mid table team.

Nothing from Holt to suggest that the real reason for our awful performances was anything to do with our present manager. Would that then be the perception of the media in general, or just Holt?

I'd say that's the general perception, that we are a mid-table selling club with an owner who has downsized his ambitions

Never will the media look at the root cause and all the millions pissed away on crap players over the last 5 years

On the 'Sunday Supplement' (Sky Sports) it was stated that we flirted with a Champions League place with O'Neill but when Lerner started his cost cutting and O'Neill subsequently left along with two of our best players, AM took over a squad that was mid table at best. It was then stated by Oliver Holt that it is now difficult for Villa fans to accept that we are a mid table team.

Nothing from Holt to suggest that the real reason for our awful performances was anything to do with our present manager. Would that then be the perception of the media in general, or just Holt?

Media in general. Even on motd Dixon and Phil Nevelle said the villa fans were being unfair on Mcleish because he is ex brum and that he will win us around as his top manager.

Nobody knows but us :(

media in general id say

so many of them are convinced we are doing ok its crazy, that what mcleish has going for him, no one has spanked us, oliver holt no doubt watched us on MOTD saw the 2 chances we had at the end said to himself "villa nearly got a point out of that game" saw mcleish say we deserved more and reassures himself that us fans are wrong

id love to know what matt kendrick thinks, becuase IMO he's biting his tongue rather than the hand that feeds

The media don't care about AVFC. That much is evident from the fact that in 1981 when we won the league all the media, except those from the local rags, wanted and thought Ipswich were going to win it (apologies to all those too young to remember this event).

The lack of Villa players in the England set up, with the exception of quite recent years, is also a reflection of how Midlands clubs are viewed by, not only the media, but the football world in general.

I really don't know what planet the media are living on. Even now they're convinced that McLeish is doing a good job here and that nobody else would do any better. If they actually watched us play for 90 minutes instead of just the highlights on MoTD I think they'd realise why we're unhappy.

Now that we're sliding down the table I fully expect them to say that he's a decent manager and that we should give him time. What has he done to get this reputation? He's a **** shit manager.

I don't care what the media think and how the **** would Lee Dixon know McLeish is a good manager??

Anyway you would have thought the penny would have dropped by now? We are not capable of defending for a draw! McLeish must have tried this tactic for at least half the games this season and as far as I can remember it has not been successful once? We are not good enough to sit back and let the top sides in the league attack us for 90 minutes and no wonder the defence make stupid mistakes.

When will McLeish realise that you cannot win if you don't score?

its just the media though is it? how many times have you heard other fans say he's doing ok? i joked today to a wolves fan that they could have him, his immediate response was "well he's sorted your defence out" based on **** what! he got 2 now seen to be as shit as they are CBs playing really well for 6 months and he's a defensive genius

its just the media though is it? how many times have you heard other fans say he's doing ok? i joked today to a wolves fan that they could have him, his immediate response was "well he's sorted your defence out" based on **** what! he got 2 now seen to be as shit as they are CBs playing really well for 6 months and he's a defensive genius
I would've struggled to contain my rage if someone said that to me. Our defence is far from sorted out. The only reason why we haven't been tonked 5-0 yet is because more often than not one or two goals is enough to kill us off.

Laughable how many are saying "He must stay as who else is out there?"

I would rather have an interim coach who understands our players than McLeish. Something is wrotten at Villa and it does need sorting, but there is no way McLeish is the man to do it.

I am warming to the idea of Curbishley, although he doesnt really fit the progressive young manager argument I often make. Poyet maybe?

As I just said elsewhere, I would put McDonald in charge now until the end of the season, with Cowans as his assistant, then I'd assess where we were in the summer. It would give us more time to assess the cheap option of McDonald, and also more time to put a plan into place about who else we might get. But to be honest, even someone as far down my list as Curbishley is looking attractive right now.

As I just said elsewhere, I would put McDonald in charge now until the end of the season, with Cowans as his assistant, then I'd assess where we were in the summer. It would give us more time to assess the cheap option of McDonald, and also more time to put a plan into place about who else we might get. But to be honest, even someone as far down my list as Curbishley is looking attractive right now.

But McDonald is too busy trying to catch Hamburglar, although if he does become available then he'd probably do a better job than his fellow clown McLeish.

But McDonald is too busy trying to catch Hamburglar, although if he does become available then he'd probably do a better job than his fellow clown McLeish.

He can have the extra 'a' back in his name once he's proved himself.

I'd be more scared if people were actually reading what Oliver Holt writes.

Â