The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

He's here to stay gents so get used to it.

I'll say it again, I bet similar comments were being said about Fabio Capello a few days ago but look what happened to him.

You never know what could happen in football so don't think we are stuck with him.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcleish is simply a shyte manager. In a 2 team League he finished 3rd. Wonderful stuff

**** meee.

Im sick of seeing this 'stat'.

Why is it that his 2 league titles, 2 scottish cup wins and 3 scottish league cup wins are conveniently forgotten?

Some people only see what they want to see

Good point. It is also worth mentioning that it was at a time when MON was dominating at Celtic and spending vast amounts of money and wages on players.

What's with the people saying we've been unlucky and are playing well? We've played ok in bits for some games but in those same games we also have spells where we're absolutely diabolical, hence why lots to Arsenal and Newcastle and could only draw with QPR.

I am not being funny, but Southampton etc... don't/didn't exactly have the resources that Mcleish has at Villa.

Redknapp got them relegated as they were poor sides with poor players. You have to work with what you have and Mcleish has a top 10 squad to work with which is currently on the brink of being dragged into a relegation scrap.

Saying that, I'd find it hard to manage a side while I was on the dodge :winkold:

a bit like what Mcleish had at birmingham?

People say those that can't accept Mcleish can't look past the Birmingham thing but I swear it's the other way round. Put aside the Small Heath hate for a minute and you'll see that the Birmingham team he relegated was a very decent side with good players (admittedly many of which he left to rot on the bench) and he spent an absolute fortune on transfers and wages in comparison to the teams around him who stayed up. That team should have been comfortably mid-table.

You look at the team he had from the carling cup onwards and you can see why it is possible they got relegated. Here is an example of a starting 11 second to last game of season;

26 Foster

02 Carr

05 Johnson

21 Parnaby

28 Jiranek

04 Bowyer

07 Larsson

11 Bentley

12 Ferguson

09 K Phillips

14 Derbyshire

If thats a mid-table team, I'm the King of England.

last season i heard "houlliers claret and blue army" coming from the holte end on multiple occasions.

this season i have not heard mcleish's name sung once - because he came from the blues.

It would be rather weird and embarrassing to sing 'McLeish's Claret and Blue Army' when we have only beaten Blackburn, Wigan and Norwich at home this season (the last one being at the beginning of November).

I may be wrong but generally fans sing things like this and other positive chants of the manager when we are doing relatively okay not when we are poor.

I suspect, unless things take a major turn for the better, that McLeish's name will be sung by the Holte End (and other areas of the ground) but I doubt whether he will like it when it comes.

He's here to stay gents so get used to it.

I'll say it again, I bet similar comments were being said about Fabio Capello a few days ago but look what happened to him.

You never know what could happen in football so don't think we are stuck with him.

I accept your point, I agree funny things happen in football and it's unpredictable, but I really can't see McLeish leaving anytime soon.

I really doubt he'd leave of his own accord, this is maybe the best job he'll ever have. I can't imagine him being sacked either, relegation was a reality last season and rightly or wrongly Randy backed his man.

So, I'm firmly in the 'Love him or hate him, he's here, get used to it' camp.

...strange name for a camp.

So it's likely McLeish will be around for some time. Why does that change people's opinions of him? I'd like to win the lottery. It's extremely unlikely but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. My opinion on winning the lottery will be the same regardless of how likely it is.

So it's likely McLeish will be around for some time. Why does that change people's opinions of him? I'd like to win the lottery. It's extremely unlikely but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. My opinion on winning the lottery will be the same regardless of how likely it is.

Who's changed their opinion of him? I'm just saying all protests and calls for his head, justified or not, are futile IMO.

Who's changed their opinion of him? I'm just saying all protests and calls for his head, justified or not, are futile IMO.

Lots of people are saying things like "he's here for the long term so we might as well support him".

Lots of people are saying things like "he's here for the long term so we might as well support him".

I don't see the problem. It's better than sitting on your hands moaning, surely?

I don't think they mean specifically him either, they mean the team. It's the role of a supporter, supporting your team, through thick and thin. It can't always be pretty.

Don't give me the "but..." "but..." "but...", you got your answer; now drop and give me 20.

Redknapp is ruthless. Hence how he has recovered from set-backs and is now the favourite for the England job.

Mcleish is simply a shyte manager. In a 2 team League he finished 3rd. Wonderful stuff.

Bottom line is, he should go. Not because he came from Birmingham, simply due to the fact he's inept and his record is shocking.

So you're suggesting we fire him due to his record before he was at our club. This is after we've hired him?

Mindblown

Great, now I have to try and un-blow my mind. Do you know how hard that is?

I'll find a real zinger that'll knock your socks off. Good luck getting them back on when I do!

You've got no chance pal, my long johns, thick tight jeans and Marty Mcfly trainers are keeping them pretty secure!

:D

Back on topic; I wish we'd never appointed the man, but while he's here I want him to do well, because that means we're doing well.

The tragic thing is that my perception of Big Eck is that he goes into a job, starts well and then things decline he puts his own 'stamp' on things.

If this is going well, I dread to see what will happen in 2 years time!

I don't see the problem. It's better than sitting on your hands moaning, surely?

I don't think they mean specifically him either, they mean the team. It's the role of a supporter, supporting your team, through thick and thin. It can't always be pretty.

Despite his faults he's got a squad which isn't largely his and still under performing. With the noted and awful defence, possible trouble makers there is much room for improvement. Yes, nobody is 100% with the way it's gone so far - but to nit pick every minor detail is really trite. Why can't we accept some supporters are in the middle of this debate, content with the management and are behind the team. Instead of the knee-jerk foaming over your keyboard reaction of being a McLeish troofer. It's really immature at times. There's plenty of room for improvement but I dislike how certain people will blame the manager for everything and exonerate the overpaid seniors brought in under O'Neill who've caused problems for both managers since.

Having a go at Mcleish means having a go at Lerner and its clear no matter what he does some just can't bring themselves to do this.

The same people would be defending and excusing any useless manager in charge. Lowering expectations is possibly the only skill Lerner has shown as owner of Aston Villa.

Having a go at Mcleish means having a go at Lerner and its clear no matter what he does some just can't bring themselves to do this.

The same people would be defending and excusing any useless manager in charge. Lowering expectations is possibly the only skill Lerner has shown as owner of Aston Villa.

Well he did also increase the expectation didn't he?

It just doesn't make sense. Why should the fact that it's unlikely he'll be sacked change people's opinions of him?

Nobody's not supporting the team.

Not lowering expectations BJ10, it is maintaing the goodwill because he is not Ellis, that is basically why people IMO still support him , because he is not the devil incarnate

To come out against him, I think, would seem to be in some way saying they were wrong to want Ellis out or this bloke to replace him. Well certainly that is what I read into it, I could be wrong.

To me it is very much like the JPA debates. Great player when we signed him but went off the boil and needed shipping out / replacing, for me some still supported him as he was the representation of victory over Ellis

Doug still has a lot to answer for in the club

Â