The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Having a go at Mcleish means having a go at Lerner and its clear no matter what he does some just can't bring themselves to do this.

The same people would be defending and excusing any useless manager in charge. Lowering expectations is possibly the only skill Lerner has shown as owner of Aston Villa.

Yes, totally agree other than the millions he's put in, the three consecutive sixth placed finishes, the two Wembley appearances, the glut of England players we've had during his tenure, the renovation of the Holte Pub and surrounding area, the completion of the training ground and for a period at least the potential that we might once again become a decent team, other than that though yeah, he's done **** all.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a go at Mcleish means having a go at Lerner and its clear no matter what he does some just can't bring themselves to do this.

The same people would be defending and excusing any useless manager in charge. Lowering expectations is possibly the only skill Lerner has shown as owner of Aston Villa.

Yes, totally agree other than the millions he's put in, the three consecutive sixth placed finishes, the two Wembley appearances, the glut of England players we've had during his tenure, the renovation of the Holte Pub and surrounding area, the completion of the training ground and for a period at least the potential that we might once again become a decent team, other than that though yeah, he's done **** all.

PFJ.jpg

SPLITTER!!!!

:)

I was there against QPR Mantis, there were definately people not supportuing the team

F**k off you ginger scottish pr**k is hardly supporting the team.

I don't mean to be picky but that is an example of not supporting the manager not the team.

Is he not part of the team Trent? He seems to get a lot of abuse when the team performs badly?

Its the same difference Trent. What are the players supposed to think listening to that?

"It doesn't matter how shit I play because the boss will get the blame not me"

Anything other than total support for both team and manager whilst at VP before, during and after the game is counter productive.

I was there against QPR Mantis, there were definately people not supportuing the team

I don't mean to be picky but that is an example of not supporting the manager not the team.

Is he not part of the team Trent? He seems to get a lot of abuse when the team performs badly?

Because he is the manager and though not entirely responsible he is certainly largely responsible.

Someone shouting something at McLeish is not in my opinion an example of someone not supporting the team just in the same way someone shouting "Dunne you fact XXXX" for example isn't an example of someone having a go at the manager.

So it's likely McLeish will be around for some time. Why does that change people's opinions of him? I'd like to win the lottery. It's extremely unlikely but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. My opinion on winning the lottery will be the same regardless of how likely it is.

Who's changed their opinion of him? I'm just saying all protests and calls for his head, justified or not, are futile IMO.

Lots of people are saying things like "he's here for the long term so we might as well support him".

I don't see the problem. It's better than sitting on your hands moaning, surely?

I don't think they mean specifically him either, they mean the team. It's the role of a supporter, supporting your team, through thick and thin. It can't always be pretty.

It just doesn't make sense. Why should the fact that it's unlikely he'll be sacked change people's opinions of him?

Nobody's not supporting the team.

:?

What? We're going round in circles here. Where did I say people should change their opinions on him?

Nobody's not supporting the team? Seriously? There's a protest Sunday. There were boo's against QPR, some for an individual player. There are thousands of fans staying away from Villa Park because of McLeish. I wouldn't exactly call any of that nonsense 'supporting' the team.

Its the same difference Trent. What are the players supposed to think listening to that?

Actually no they aren't they may be of a similar ilk but no they aren't the same.

Anything other than total support for both team and manager whilst at VP before, during and after the game is counter productive.

That is an entirely different point.

I was there too you know.

However, shouting abuse at the manager doesn't necessarily mean not supporting the team. You can do both.

So it's likely McLeish will be around for some time. Why does that change people's opinions of him? I'd like to win the lottery. It's extremely unlikely but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. My opinion on winning the lottery will be the same regardless of how likely it is.

Who's changed their opinion of him? I'm just saying all protests and calls for his head, justified or not, are futile IMO.

Lots of people are saying things like "he's here for the long term so we might as well support him".

I don't see the problem. It's better than sitting on your hands moaning, surely?

I don't think they mean specifically him either, they mean the team. It's the role of a supporter, supporting your team, through thick and thin. It can't always be pretty.

It just doesn't make sense. Why should the fact that it's unlikely he'll be sacked change people's opinions of him?

Nobody's not supporting the team.

:?

What? We're going round in circles here. Where did I say people should change their opinions on him?

Nobody's not supporting the team? Seriously? There's a protest Sunday. There were boo's against QPR, some for an individual player. There are thousands of fans staying away from Villa Park because of McLeish. I wouldn't exactly call any of that nonsense 'supporting' the team.

You said you see nothing wrong with it and I was pointing out that defending McLeish because he won't get sacked anytime soon doesn't make sense.

Protesting before the game doesn't mean not supporting the team.

I think it is actually supporting the club

As fans we support the club and want the best interests of the club. If we can see that something is not in the best interests of the club and is actually having a negative affect on the club then I think we should show that. Not to do so would be allowing the bad shit to continue

Because he is the manager and though not entirely responsible he is certainly largely responsible.

Someone shouting something at McLeish is not in my opinion an example of someone not supporting the team just in the same way someone shouting "Dunne you fact XXXX" for example isn't an example of someone having a go at the manager.

No, agreed but Richard Dunne is part of the team (that I believe Mcliesh is part of too). Surely hurling abuse at one individual in the team isnt 'supporting the team', because you discourage a member of that team.

For a team to work, all individuals must perform their tasks to the best of their ability. By hindering one person, you hinder the team imo.

someone shouting "Dunne you fact XXXX" for example isn't an example of someone having a go at the manager.

It is however, one of the rare occasions that something shouted from the stands is 100% accurate. :lol:

I think it is actually supporting the club

As fans we support the club and want the best interests of the club. If we can see that something is not in the best interests of the club and is actually having a negative affect on the club then I think we should show that. Not to do so would be allowing the bad shit to continue

Agree.

So in other words Woody, if you don't support the manager you don't support the team?

I dont for one minute think that deep down there is any Villa fan who doesnt want the best for AVFC. I think Richard makes a valid point a few posts up.

However, i do think that people could be a bit more mature and respectful in their criticism of Mcliesh, Lerner and other members of AvFC staff.

Its ok not to be a fan of something - I dont believe its ok to hurl abuse at them because your not a fan.

You said you see nothing wrong with it and I was pointing out that defending McLeish because he won't get sacked anytime soon doesn't make sense.

Who is defending McLeish because he won't get sacked? You've completely missed my point.

Who is defending McLeish because he won't get sacked? You've completely missed my point.

Lots of people it seems.

Read through the thread. Plenty of people are saying things like "Lerner isn't going to sack him, so we might as well get behind him".

did you not say similar things last season?

Nope. I supported Houllier but not because it wasn't likely Randy was going to sack him.

Plenty of people are saying things like "Lerner isn't going to sack him, so we might as well get behind him".

Well we had.

Why?

Â