The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Probably not. Daniel Levy has sold some of their best assets in the past though, and appointed some dodgy managers, George Graham, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat and Jacques Santini. They've made the CL once.

Indeed they have.

I admire the way the tottenham sides play the football at White Hart Lane under most managers. Often a very decent quick passing game which is end to end and exciting.

Also I like the transfer policy of signing of getting the best young players and the occasional top quality player. I suppose the benefit is clubs like ourselves always seem to go for the Routledges, Huttons, Walkers and Jermain Jenas cast offs..

They've appointed two decent managers JOL and Redknapp, who play nice football. They've appointed some real duds. They buy young players, try to keep hold of them if/when they flourish, with varying degrees of success. They buy big sometimes, not always successfully.

They do nothing we don't do, they can do it a bit better as they have more pull and money.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which chairman in the Premier League has been consistently getting it right, which club should we model ourselves on? An open question to anyone.

Without Doubt, Manchester United.

The club that went 25 years without winning a sausage, until they appointed a proper manager.

You can talk money until the cows come home and you do need it granted, but its like a monkey with a machine gun. Without an eye for a player its like a chav winning the lottery.

YOU NEED NOUS and then a bit of money to drive that NOUS home.

We have had too many managers for too long without a long term strategy......its just been a type of football to keep them employed for as long as possible.

ITS A **** GRAVY TRAIN.

Ps the football has been poor for the last 10 years

The truth is the club have made so many decisions that suit the book.....rather than suit what is right for the club.

HDE had his detractors and we all understand why, but by christ he had discipline within the ranks and hey he appointed some decent staff.

Steve Stride.... with all his Knowledge, how did Randy not say hey this guy will be good for me......I'll work with him..... who knows we could like each other, but most importantly he will be good for Aston Villa.

Look, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and when you do some things become easier to understand..... but I'll tell you what I do believe.

There ain't many decisions regarding personnel that put the football club first.... because in my opinion most of the appointments ARE FOR CONVENIENCE AND COMFORT.

IT BLOODY STINKS FOR ME.

If we felt that the right factors were in place to appoint a new manager yes.

but the fact is the right factors are not in place to replace McLeish.

The attraction of his appointment was a manager who could offer some sort of stability, but more importantly would not demand the sort money to be ambitious.

It was a signing of convenience.

I feel a bit sorry for McLeish, he didn't appoint himself.....He is probably like all of us , only wants a job and when he gets offered a good one is highly grateful.

Which chairman in the Premier League has been consistently getting it right, which club should we model ourselves on? An open question to anyone.

The club that went 25 years without winning a sausage, until they appointed a proper manager.

You can talk money until the cows come home and you do need it granted, but its like a monkey with a machine gun. Without an eye for a player its like a chav winning the lottery.

We have had too many managers for too long without a long term strategy......its just been a type of football to keep them employed for as long as possible.

ITS A **** GRAVY TRAIN.

Great, so who is the next Alex Ferguson?

Poyet or even Lambert? They are risks too, but yeah there are promising managers out there, managers who we should have at least tried to get over the manager who relegated our city rivals of all people (crazy choice). But chairmen make shit decisions - they all do. The one we've got now is not the dream chairman (who is) but he is far from shit, and that's the point I'm trying to make.

ITS A **** GRAVY TRAIN.

That was probably the question that the board at Manchester United were asking themselves when they decided to appoint Sir Alex...... but i guess the question was after 25 years of mediocrity by their standards was.... where do we find another Sir Matt Busby.

I guess it is much harder to replace Matt Busby than Ron Saunders as much as I love Ron.

You see the simple fact is we ain't got anyone running the club with much idea of the playing side.

we all seem to accept it all as read.....the fact is we ain't got much idea at the top.

PS oh bye the way, they didn't do a bad job did they ?

Poyet or even Lambert? They are risks too, but yeah there are promising managers out there, managers who we should have at least tried to get over the manager who relegated our city rivals of all people (crazy choice). But chairmen make shit decisions - they all do. The one we've got now is not the dream chairman (who is) but he is far from shit, and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Baz

There is no guarantee with any Manager.

Brian Clough, Jose Morininho, Alex Ferguson,Ron Saunders, Andreas Villas Boaz, Guss Hiddinck, Bobby Robson.

But there are factors that tell you that once you have evaluated them all and your next choice is well stacked with them, the odds are good.

We seem to manage far too many excuses when talking about Villa.There is simply no will to be ambitious at Villa.

Everton are a clear example of not being up with us in terms of wherewithal, but due to the appointment of a decent manager is able to compete with us.

If we had a manager over the years of moyes capability, we would be light years in front of Everton as it stands we are bed partners.

I saw Steve Stride on Saturday, he didn't look very well, hope he's ok

Then I saw Faulkner, busy texting instead of watching the game !! Nero fiddles while Rome burns

Wait a minute, you saw Faulkner texting during a game? Well that's just one step too far. I can't believe he hasn't been disciplined what must Randy be thinking. This text could be the reason for our relegation and if not its surely responsible for Nzogbias poor form. I just hope he doesn't do it against QPR or we will surely lose.

ITS A **** GRAVY TRAIN.

I think it's important to remember that in Ferguson's first six season at Man Utd they achieved finishes of 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 6th and 2nd. Despite a clamour from fans to sack him the board had the fortitude and presence of mind to stick with him and give him the chance to build a winning side.

ITS A **** GRAVY TRAIN.

I think it's important to remember that in Ferguson's first six season at Man Utd they achieved finishes of 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 6th and 2nd. Despite a clamour from fans to sack him the board had the fortitude and presence of mind to stick with him and give him the chance to build a winning side.

I think you will find Ron Saunders had some lean years too, whilst he was building, but he had Barton and Mclaren.

Barton was an astute talent spotter and Mclaren was a coach who could improve a player.

but, in both cases there are tell tale signs that things are moving in the right direction....little things that indicate progress is being made.

It is clear that time is required to build a decent side but time alone is just one factor. Ability in the transfer market is paramount, and of course the odd duffer will be signed, but the top managers make more good ones than bad and further more they improve the player too.

The board at Man U and some of the more enlightened fans could see what Fergie was doing.... even now he doesn't wait until there is a problem he deals with it in its infancy to ensure, the problem does not arrive or avoids it. He is pro active, he is one step ahead.

If, forbid , anything should happen too him and he had to retire, they ( the man U Board) would simply employ all the inteeligence they could muster to un earth another one.....and they probably will, as much of a hard act to follow he will be.

One of the differences with us and Man U is this ;

If THEY were having to repalce Fergie it would be declared a very difficult task.

If WE were having to replace Fergie it would be Impossible.

One thing that sets the all time greats like Fergie and co out from plodders is an obvious thing that seems to have been missed.

Yes - Fergie has signed some duffers - but what makes him great is he isn't afraid to admit he has made the mistake and gets shot of that "duffer" pretty quickly. JJx2 , Bartez, Bosnich, Veron , Cruyff etc....

Crap buys, but how long did they stay ?

What the also ran managers like MON (and I regret to say McLeish) do is buy duffers,but then wont admit the mistake and continue to employ them at the club.

Back on question, there is no way in this world that McLeish will leave the Villa, either by sacking or walking.

He wont be sacked, he would demand a hefty fee to go, and who on earth will take the job now. I mean, Benitez and Martinez wouldn't take it when we thought we could compete - what chance now. We'd be lucky to attract Steve Staunton and Graham Taylor !.

As for walking, McLeish just wont do it, for pride and for money

Whether we finish top 4 or bottom 3 - it will be McLeish who does it - unfortunately (to think, I honestly thought we would end up with Ancelotti and Wilkins.) - thats not McLeish's fault obviously, but it is so deflating

Â