Watches

Risso

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I got to have a close look at the Swatch Omega today.  I was disappointed because the watch looks like its designed to be disposable.

The battery is replaced by a small hatch in the watch back.  But that's the only way to access the inside of the watch.  It looks like the watch body and back is actually one piece of plastic. The movement must have been inserted from the front if the watch and then sealed into the watch body.  

That would make it impossible to repair the watch movement without significant damage to the watch body.  It does have a 2 year warranty.  But £207 for a watch that might only last 2 years seems a rip off. 

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure if I even like the look of any of them? Dare I say it, they look a little on the cheap side.  They seem very popular though, so I’m obviously in the minority. 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2022 at 11:33, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It's Porsche sticking their badge on a Dacia but selling it for the price of an Audi that I object to.  

The Porsche 924 of watches

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure if I even like the look of any of them? Dare I say it, they look a little on the cheap side.  They seem very popular though, so I’m obviously in the minority. 

They're popular because people think they can flip them for a profit. 

26 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

At a distance they look fantastic. But the closer I look the worse they get. The original Omega have the subdials placed at 3, 6 and 9.  These sundials are at 2, 6, and 10.  That sounds trivial but it suggests Swatch didn't even develop a new movement for the watch. They just used something already in existence which was roughly suitable.   Its not a bad watch.  Its just something very cheap to produce being sold at a premium price.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my spring drive watch, because of a slight delay I was told I'd be sent a 'novelty' as an apology. I got a pen. I assumed it was basically tat with the GS branding on it, but I've just seen people trying to sell them for 60 or 70 quid online.

Maybe it's a bit more than just a 'novelty'?? 

IMG_08062022_150502_(1080_x_570_pixel).thumb.jpg.94eb92cec185a62182d8daf121f285f0.jpg

On 09/06/2022 at 06:44, Spoony said:

Got myself a Tudor Pepsi GMT. Took the bracelet off for a leather strap the same as this one. I absolutely love it.

spacer.png

That looks really smart. I usually hate it when people put things like that on a nato strap, but that works well.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 18:53, Xela said:

They're popular because people think they can flip them for a profit. 

TAG did a "limited edition" connected black last Sept  , think it was supposed to retail at £1,400

you can buy one online for £5,227 

that's not a bad return in one year ..that said I don't think the company selling it is going  to get any bids at £5227 

That said I walked by the TAG shop in Guildford on Sat and kinda tutted to myself when I saw watches for sale north of £5,000 ..  one for the things you don't get thread i suppose 

14 hours ago, Risso said:

That looks really smart. I usually hate it when people put things like that on a nato strap, but that works well.

On the bracelet it was so, so heavy. I only bought it with a bracelet for the resale value (it’s like $140 more for the bracelet over leather but to buy a bracelet separate is something insane like $700). So got the bracelet, immediately took it off and whacked a $70 leather deployment strap on it. Will never look back. The strap was from B and R Bands and the quality is incredible. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

TAG did a "limited edition" connected black last Sept  , think it was supposed to retail at £1,400

that's not a bad return in one year ..that said I don't think the company selling it is going  to get any bids at £5227 

That said I walked by the TAG shop in Guildford on Sat and kinda tutted to myself when I saw watches for sale north of £5,000 ..  one for the things you don't get thread i suppose 

Horses for courses I guess. I’m lucky enough to be on a decent salary but will continue to drive a shitty car, I’m strict with saving and no waste and living frugally but honestly I make an exception for the two watches I bought. I just love them and will happily be nerdy about watch movements and such. Some people are like that with cars, some with flashy TVs, some like to splash out on travel perks or fancy hotels and whatever. I’d happily go economy to my shitty Airbnb and stare at my fancy douchebag watch. 

I guess one plus with watches is if you buy right they don’t depreciate the same way cars or some other luxury purchases do. My Tudor won’t go down much at all in value. The Breitling will a bit. I don’t intend to sell either but if I had to it wouldn’t be much of a hit. 

• Like 2

On 14/06/2022 at 11:42, tonyh29 said:

Anybody paying over the odds for a Tag smartwatch needs their bumps feeling. That will turn out to be a spectacularly bad investment.

• 3 weeks later...

Unexpected arrival at the end of last week (from a timing perspective), as I wasn't expecting this to be available for moany more months. The customer it was earmarked went AWOL, meaning I received the call from the boutique telling me how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to give them a dollop of cash.

Anyway, totally worth it, as I think it's a stunning piece.

H. Moser & Cie, Pioneer Centre Seconds in Lagoon Blue.

FWmKKZ3WYAEpPNJ?format=jpg&name=large

FWmKMNRWQAIXE7-?format=jpg&name=large

FWmKNLSXkAASAwp?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Risso said:

Ah congrats @StanBalaban, beautiful watch. The dials on those never cease to amaze me.

Thank you mate. Honestly Risso, I've been very fortunate to have some lovely timepieces, but that dial really pops.

Feels more special than my Aquanaut.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a new or not too old Seiko watch ?

The reason I ask is because my uncle ( whos watch I have ( after he died ) is a Seiko ( he bought it in the 1980s )  and when I got a new strap for it last week the guy in the watch shop said that they are very good watches but they run out overnight and the time has to be reset every morning.But I have worn this watch before and it still goes after 3 days of inactivity.

• Like 1

Seiko do some superb watches. There are far too many models from over the years to say how long one will run without needing to be wound again though. You'd need to know what movement was in it, how old it was and what state it was in, ie how often it had been serviced etc. Overnight sounds like nonsense for most Seikos though.

Â