Watches

Risso

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Easy - treat yourself… and don’t tell her! Or sell some of your other ten and say selling those paid for the new one…

I don't ask about the shoes. 

Mrs Lifeboats doesn't ask about the watch.  

Move along.  

Nothing to see here. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I love watches, I've got about 10, but bloody hell, I'd not even pay over a £100 for mine and you guys are forking out thousands 😵

I know they are an investment but I'd be scared to wear the thing. 

My most expensive watch is an all black MVMT thing and when I wear it, I'm constantly checking my wrist to make sure it ain't fallen off and it only cost me £89 😂

I'll stick to my Sekonda's and the like, my wife would divorce, probably end my life, if I spent 3k on a watch!! 

It's all about choices in life mate, and if you enjoy the watches you buy then that's all that matters. I do find it slightly amusing though that people flinch at spending a few hundred/thousand on a watch that will last a lifetime, but are quite happy to spend hundreds of pounds on mobile phones every year or so, for a slightly better camera, knowing full well it'll be obsolete in no time at all. Ditto people who smoke/gamble. It's all about choices. I bet my watch collection hobby has cost me substantially less than somebody who smokes 2 packets of fags a day.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can anybody figure out what Unai's watch is? It's been bugging me for months, mainly because I can never get a proper good look at it (despite the fact he's always touching his face).

The thing throwing me off the most is the casing.

Got a decent angle of it today, but from distance:

Unai Emery in the dugout at Villa Park. What a man.

On 15/04/2023 at 14:55, Beastmix said:

Can anybody figure out what Unai's watch is? It's been bugging me for months, mainly because I can never get a proper good look at it (despite the fact he's always touching his face).

Looks a lot like this. Jaques Lemans Sydney.

Landmark birthday coming up this year and have always had my heart set on a Milguass for this one but given how impossible any Rolex purchase is these days, I've given up on that. Spent so long searching for something I like enough and all I can come up with is this. Normally I'm not a fan of Breitling but I can't find anything else I like so I might have to take the plunge.

a253101a1l1x1-top-time-ford-mustang-thre

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I stumbled across this watch today. (First image).

It’s inspired by the watch given to RAF pilots in WW2.  (Second image).

Its dial, hands and wonder are made out of actual parts from a WW2 Spitfire. 

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

Currently only made to order with a choice of British or swiss movements. 

Probably out of my reach, sadly.

I love watches, but I just don't feel the need to have one anymore. Got one that needs a battery but I can't think of why I need one anymore.

Phone has the time, work from home so laptop has the time. Go out with the missus and she knows everything so I'm guessing she'd know the time too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, choffer said:

Landmark birthday coming up this year and have always had my heart set on a Milguass for this one but given how impossible any Rolex purchase is these days, I've given up on that. Spent so long searching for something I like enough and all I can come up with is this. Normally I'm not a fan of Breitling but I can't find anything else I like so I might have to take the plunge.

a253101a1l1x1-top-time-ford-mustang-thre

if you've got your heart set on a Milguass, then don't give up on it.

Just go to an AD, not Watches of Switzerland or another big name but a more localised dealer, and strike up a relationship, get your name on the waiting list and you might be surprised at how quick you get the call.

Don't compromise on your desires. Get the Breitling and no doubt you'll love it....but i reckon you'll still want the Milguass.

On 15/04/2023 at 14:55, Beastmix said:

That question deserves its own thread

13 hours ago, imavillan said:

if you've got your heart set on a Milguass, then don't give up on it.

Just go to an AD, not Watches of Switzerland or another big name but a more localised dealer, and strike up a relationship, get your name on the waiting list and you might be surprised at how quick you get the call.

Don't compromise on your desires. Get the Breitling and no doubt you'll love it....but i reckon you'll still want the Milguass.

Nah. I was always pushing my budget for the Rolex. There’ll be another landmark birthday in another ten years. Maybe by then I’ll be in a position to afford it without worrying about the cost. 

Edited by choffer

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Nah. I was always pushing my budget for the Rolex. There’ll be another landmark birthday in another ten years. Maybe by then I’ll be in a position to afford it without worrying about the cost. 

Have a look at Tudor watches.  It's the sister brand of Rolex.   There is nothing that directly copies the Milguass.  But there's plenty of choice and they are actually available. 

Rolex have just discontinued the Milguass.  The chances of getting one from an authorised dealer is almost zero.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Have a look at Tudor watches.  It's the sister brand of Rolex.   There is nothing that directly copies the Milguass.  But there's plenty of choice and they are actually available. 

Rolex have just discontinued the Milguass.  The chances of getting one from an authorised dealer is almost zero.  

Was going to suggest exactly this. I have a Tudor and it is just awesome in every way. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

Very cool...

Sinn a German manufacturer do something like this...they make watches from Submarine Steel.

Initially developed to provide navigational equipment for cockpits, the Sinn brand are renowned for durability and reliability and much cheaper than a Rolex and other brands.

• Like 2

On 19/04/2023 at 16:00, Mandy Lifeboats said:

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

I've met the guy who makes the top one. He came to my house on the IOM (with a load of other watchmakers and horology types) when we had a blue plaque ceremony for George Daniels.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Got my Shatner-designed Egard Passages watch on today. It has genuine asteroid dust on the dial (those little grey dots by the hands) and I genuinely believe it's real asteroid dust and not a scam in any way at all.

PXL_20231112_104152307.thumb.jpg.340ae52a706266a4185d33a2faebf8e1.jpg

They just announced a sequel version that looks pretty nice too.

Â