Watches

Risso

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Assuming it’s possible to buy a Rolex in Doha airport, how would one go about selling it down the line?

I keep hearing they will only increase in value so it’s a risk free investment, is this correct?

I know literally nothing about it so help would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Assuming it’s possible to buy a Rolex in Doha airport, how would one go about selling it down the line?

I keep hearing they will only increase in value so it’s a risk free investment, is this correct?

I know literally nothing about it so help would be appreciated.

Nothing is a risk free investment. 

Not all Rolex shoot up in value.   Search for the exact model on chrono24.com to see what the going rate is.  

Selling is easy. 

Remember to check if you need to pay import tax.  Its likely that you will.   Some people will tell you to just wear it through Customs and they cannot prove you didn’t take it out with you.  This is rubbish.   They can hold the watch until YOU prove you have paid the duty.  If you can't then they keep it.  They can also tell by the Serial Numbers where the watch was sourced from.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Nothing is a risk free investment. 

Not all Rolex shoot up in value.   Search for the exact model on chrono24.com to see what the going rate is.  

Selling is easy. 

Remember to check if you need to pay import tax.  Its likely that you will.   Some people will tell you to just wear it through Customs and they cannot prove you didn’t take it out with you.  This is rubbish.   They can hold the watch until YOU prove you have paid the duty.  If you can't then they keep it.  They can also tell by the Serial Numbers where the watch was sourced from.  

Thanks. Isn’t the case with import tax just pay it if they ask but no point doing it upfront? How are they actually going to find it in your bag? Also, isn’t that the point of duty free to not pay import duty?

And selling is easy but how? I’m hardly going to put it on eBay 😀

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Thanks. Isn’t the case with import tax just pay it if they ask but no point doing it upfront? How are they actually going to find it in your bag? Also, isn’t that the point of duty free to not pay import duty?

And selling is easy but how? I’m hardly going to put it on eBay 😀

Your suggestion how to avoid import duty is illegal and it would be against forum rules to discuss.  So I will not.  

Import duty is not a simple subject.  You need to check it out thoroughly.  In my opinion, your duty free allowance is set at a value much lower than a Rolex. 

You cou,d sell it on ebay.  EBay offer a service where your watch can be verified as genuine before the cash is released to you.  Or just go to any independent jeweller and ask them to sell it on commission.  List it on Chrono24.  Offer it to any shop that retails watches.  

A few months ago I went abroad for the first time since the UK left the EU.  I found an Omega dealer selling watches about 15% below value.  They assured me that it was free of any Import Duty.  I checked with HMRC who replied the following day.  It did attract import duty.  It was 20%.  Suddenly it wasn't a bargain.  Had I tried to import it illegally I risked having to pay 5% over the retail value AND getting on a list that guaranteed I would be pulled by customs in future.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Only if you get caught right 😏

Joking, thanks for the info, I’m clueless.

Your duty free allowance on "other goods" is only £390.  

I'd be surprised if you managed to get hold of a Rolex that will turn you a massive profit. That isn't how the watch market works. 

You might get something like an Omega Seamaster.  But they rarely sell above RRP.  

If you find an Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy 25th Anniversary - I'll give you £1000 above RRP.  

• Thanks 1

Doha airport is as unlikely to have a popular model of Rolex as anywhere else. The days of being able to pick them up in places like Dubai and Qatar are long, long gone. People who do buy watches abroad tend to just wear them through the airport and post the box and papers home. If customs stopped everybody wearing a watch they'd be a little bit overrun.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Does anyone get pulled by customs these days. Last time I saw it was in 1982. 

I did, in about 2010. I was flying from Singapore, or Manila (can't remember which) and had transited in Amsterdam and then back to Brum. I got pulled in Brum. They asked a load of questions but never opened my case. I think they gauge your reactions and if you are nervous, they'll search your case. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a total novice when it comes to watches but considering buying a decent one for my husband for an upcoming big birthday, and would love your advice. He's not that bothered about brands or anything particularly flashy (he doesn't wear an expensive watch at the moment) and prefers a leather strap rather than metal, with a classic style face in a paler colour rather than dark. I know he likes some of the more classic IWC styles, for example.

My budget is up to about £8k, and happy to buy pre-owned if it can be authenticated and comes with papers etc. Do you have any suggestions of brands/ models that might fit the brief and not be a totally stupid purchase in the longer term? 

Sorry, appreciate that I'm basically asking for a personal shopping service but it's so daunting and as it's a really big purchase, I'd love some objective advice.

25 minutes ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

I'm a total novice when it comes to watches but considering buying a decent one for my husband for an upcoming big birthday, and would love your advice. He's not that bothered about brands or anything particularly flashy (he doesn't wear an expensive watch at the moment) and prefers a leather strap rather than metal, with a classic style face in a paler colour rather than dark. I know he likes some of the more classic IWC styles, for example.

My budget is up to about £8k, and happy to buy pre-owned if it can be authenticated and comes with papers etc. Do you have any suggestions of brands/ models that might fit the brief and not be a totally stupid purchase in the longer term? 

Sorry, appreciate that I'm basically asking for a personal shopping service but it's so daunting and as it's a really big purchase, I'd love some objective advice.

I absolutely love my Grand Seiko spring drive. Well within your budget (around 5k at a standard watch shop) and as good a piece of engineering and artwork that you can get at that sort of price. Maybe something like a Skyflake model?

IMG_20221223_221051_(800_x_800_pixel).thumb.png.e6aa5d9c07e1030a93242f89da316918.png

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

As a starting point I would recommend visiting a retailer like Fraser Hart and look at their range.  They stock some decent brands.  

If you live in the West Midlands I would suggest booking an appointment at Pragnell's in Stratford-on-Avon.  There is no pressure to buy and they can show you lots of options.  Even if you don't buy from them you will get so e good ideas.  

• Like 1

There are only 2 types of watches.  Those you love and those you don’t. 

The best option is to let him choose.  But if you want it to be a surprise,  try looking up his favourite watch and go for something from the same brand that is similar looking but a step up in price.  

Just remember to check the stores returns policy.  Luxury watch stores are normally very good with returns and swaps.  Especially with £8k in your pocket. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I absolutely love my Grand Seiko spring drive. Well within your budget (around 5k at a standard watch shop) and as good a piece of engineering and artwork that you can get at that sort of price. Maybe something like a Skyflake model?

IMG_20221223_221051_(800_x_800_pixel).thumb.png.e6aa5d9c07e1030a93242f89da316918.png

I've just bought that exact GS model, the dial is amazing. I was going to suggest a Grand Seiko to George above. A great range of models and superbly crafted watches with some amazing dials. £8K will get you a terrific watch.

For something fairly classy on a leather strap, how about these as suggestions:

IWC Portugieser https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/IWC-Portugieser-Automatic-40-IW358303/p/17810708

JLC Master Control https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Jaeger+LeCoultre-Master-Control-Date-40mm-Mens-Watch-Q4018480/p/17631467

Omega Speedmaster https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Speedmaster-Co+Axial-Master-Chronometer-44mm-Mens-Watch-O32930445106001/p/17331860 (on a bracelet)

BreitlingPremier Heritage https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Breitling-Premier-Heritage-Chronograph-40mm-Mens-Watch-AB0930D31L1P1/p/17531942

Grand Seiko Shunbun with "cherry blossom" dial. https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Grand-Seiko-Heritage-Shunbun-40mm-Mens-Watch-SBGA413/p/18400217

I think the Breitling with the unusual mint green dial will be a future classic personally.

• Like 3

I can just stare at this watch for ages... Everything about it is amazing. The spectacular reflections, the polishing, the way the dial changes colour from grey to champagne to white depending on how it catches the light, the smooth spring drive movement, and it's genuinely the shiniest thing I've ever owned by a mile.

IMG_20221224_145850_(1350_x_1800_pixel).thumb.jpg.e529daf6091bdef3800e6a21ad38d84b.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you all so much - brilliant suggestions, which I really appreciate. I’ll definitely take a look at the Grand Seiko, sounds like it might be a really good option. 

Merry Christmas all! Will let you know what I end up going with in the new year 

21 minutes ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

Thank you all so much - brilliant suggestions, which I really appreciate. I’ll definitely take a look at the Grand Seiko, sounds like it might be a really good option. 

Merry Christmas all! Will let you know what I end up going with in the new year 

There are also lots of videos on YouTube that explain the various pros and cons of all the watches (although you often find conflicting opinions of course).

Hope you find the perfect watch.

• Like 1

I dont normally wear my nice watch but as it's Christmas I thought I would. 

My wife bought it for me when we got married about a decade ago. Out of curiosity I checked Chrono24 after @Mandy Lifeboats posted it above and it apparently has quadrupled in price since we got it. Which is a nice surprise. 

Screenshot_20221225_091924_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

Â