Watches

Risso

It was from an AD in Manchester.  I've used them for years now so tend to do quite well for the hard to get stuff.  In the last couple of years I've got the ceramic bezel Daytona, a Hulk (green sub), a BLNR, this year's Baselworld Root Beer and now the SABR.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I just got this Timex as an everyday watch that is bound to get beaten up.  It was £230 for an automatic with a sweep hand.   

Timex watches aren't highly regarded but I'm impressed with it.   

Navi XL Automatic 41mm Leather Strap Watch Stainless-Steel/Brown/Red large

Brilliant, that takes me back, my first watch ever was a Timex and nice to see you getting an automatic. 

I've always liked watches. Got a box with a few lying around, but ironically I tend to only use my garmin. 

Still fancy an Air King. Initially wanted the milgauss, but air king seems a bit slimmer. Currently using a Tag Carrera cal. 5 with black leather strap. Good looking watch, but not the most comfortable. 

Also quite a fan of the seiko 5 watches. 

Some of the retro line I'm still keeping around like it's art. 

f74426dee87e8eb8647587a33e1f8eeb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've always liked watches. Got a box with a few lying around, but ironically I tend to only use my garmin. 

Still fancy an Air King. Initially wanted the milgauss, but air king seems a bit slimmer. Currently using a Tag Carrera cal. 5 with black leather strap. Good looking watch, but not the most comfortable. 

Also quite a fan of the seiko 5 watches. 

Some of the retro line I'm still keeping around like it's art. 

f74426dee87e8eb8647587a33e1f8eeb.jpg

All quality, that Seiko5 looks stunning, you must fancy something green, so check out GS sbgj227, hi beat movement is magical

GS-hibeat-gmt-crownup.jpg

• 2 months later...

I know there are some pretty clued up people on here when it comes to watches so I'm after some guidance.

I've always wanted a Rolex submariner and after a horror of a year I've decided to treat myself and get one. (not considering other watches as I've wanted one of these for years)

So I'm after buying advice... best place to buy, what is a 'good' price etc

Any advice welcomed

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know there are some pretty clued up people on here when it comes to watches so I'm after some guidance.

I've always wanted a Rolex submariner and after a horror of a year I've decided to treat myself and get one. (not considering other watches as I've wanted one of these for years)

So I'm after buying advice... best place to buy, what is a 'good' price etc

Any advice welcomed

The problem with Rolex professional watches is availability, especially in stainless steel for the Submariner and GMT.

It's a completely manufactured lack of supply, but it works to keep the brand desirable and values on Chrono24 and Watchfinder are still through the roof. I can't recall who, but there's a quote about Omega being a more significant watch maker, whereas Rolex is a better brand. The fact that you can go into an Omega AD and buy any model you wish is a novelty to a Rolex buyer.

I have a 40mm Submariner without date (ref 11460) and it's comfortably the watch I wear the most. The Oyster bracelet has a 'glide lock' feature, which means you can make adjustments to the fit (useful if it's a hot day, or you've simply gotten fatter during lockdown). I actually miss not having the date more than I thought I would, but it's nice not having to adjust the date to suit the month.

I've got the new 41mm green bezel Submariner on order with the store in the Mall of Emirates in Dubai, and have been on the list for a couple of months. No idea when that will arrive. Prices have not long gone up around 2%, and I think the price is a touch above USD 10,500 here from an AD. On the second hand market, expect to pay around 18k at the moment.

Have you got your heart set on a Rolex?

44 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The problem with Rolex professional watches is availability, especially in stainless steel for the Submariner and GMT.

It's a completely manufactured lack of supply, but it works to keep the brand desirable and values on Chrono24 and Watchfinder are still through the roof. I can't recall who, but there's a quote about Omega being a more significant watch maker, whereas Rolex is a better brand. The fact that you can go into an Omega AD and buy any model you wish is a novelty to a Rolex buyer.

I have a 40mm Submariner without date (ref 11460) and it's comfortably the watch I wear the most. The Oyster bracelet has a 'glide lock' feature, which means you can make adjustments to the fit (useful if it's a hot day, or you've simply gotten fatter during lockdown). I actually miss not having the date more than I thought I would, but it's nice not having to adjust the date to suit the month.

I've got the new 41mm green bezel Submariner on order with the store in the Mall of Emirates in Dubai, and have been on the list for a couple of months. No idea when that will arrive. Prices have not long gone up around 2%, and I think the price is a touch above USD 10,500 here from an AD. On the second hand market, expect to pay around 18k at the moment.

Have you got your heart set on a Rolex?

I have... always wanted one and always put it on the back burner but a change in my circumstances mean I've now the chance to do it, so I'm set on it rather than considering other options.

I'm surprised to read you miss the date feature, I was looking at the two and couldn't imagine how that would be useful these days. You think it is better with? 

What I'm struggling to understand is the pricing. The watches on watchfinder seem to be higher than at a jewelers like Goldsmiths.... what am I missing?

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

What I'm struggling to understand is the pricing. The watches on watchfinder seem to be higher than at a jewelers like Goldsmiths.... what am I missing?

Waiting lists. 

I don't think you can go into a shop and buy a new Sub, or any of the steel sports watches. I think you're talking years on a waiting list for a new one. Then people with a history with Rolex get preference*

*caveat - that's from my last chat with a rolex owning mate, a few months back. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Waiting lists. 

I don't think you can go into a shop and buy a new Sub, or any of the steel sports watches. I think you're talking years on a waiting list for a new one. Then people with a history with Rolex get preference*

*caveat - that's from my last chat with a rolex owning mate, a few months back. 

Blimey.... I had no idea, thought I could just walk in a buy

46 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There are online shops that flog such watches but I'd rather see it in person and i think they'd stiff you on the price. 

Definitely a seller's market. That said, if my 6 numbers come up I'm going to watches of Switzerland in new street and splash the cash.

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah that's it mate... The Watchfinder and Chrono24 models are at a premium because they're available now, nothing more.

Regarding the date, I surprise myself how often I try to glance towards my watch if I need to know the date for anything. No biggy, but it's one those things you only notice when it's not there.

Rolex authorised distributors have to physically buy their stock, and they don't get a say in what Rolex gives them - either buy it, or relinquish your AD status. Even though they only pay around 50% of RRP, it still means they have a lot of sticky stuff on their books - Cellini, Day Date, smaller Date Just models.

To keep cashflow going, they'll palm them off to the grey market making only a small profit, but it keeps the wheels turning. The Grey Dealers only agree to this if they also throw in their allocation of Professional models, like a Sub, GMT, Skydweller, Seadweller... as they'll make a killing on them.

AD is happy-ish. Grey dealer is happy-ish. Rolex have this marketing strategy of having massive waiting lists for thier products, thus making them even more desirable, and they are very happy.

The customer loses out unfortunately.

It's not just Rolex. I paid a hefty premium for a Patek Phillipe Aquanaut 5167/1a with the rubber strap 2 years ago, but could still sell it today for even more. 

Patek, Audemars Piguet and Rolex are an absolute menace to get professional pieces, and it's quite often the stainless steel version that commands the biggest percentage premium over retail.

Citizen eco-drive chronograph.

Not a collector's item, but they are solar powered, never run out of energy, have perpetual calendar and radio controlled time and lots of other features. I can't fault these watches and can't think of any way they could be improved.

by0103-02a-1402059067-9479.thumb.jpg.63e42986be3d83a167d2baf084c2eecf.jpg

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Depends who you know. Craig is well connected and so is one of Jim's business partners.  They can both sort you out with someone who will sell you a Rolex that will only appreciate in value.

Send me a WhatsApp and we'll tee it up.

Â