Watches

Risso

If anyone wants to get me a Christmas present then I will have one of these Omega please.  

This picture is the back of the watch which no-one sees. Snoopy moves around the moon and back to earth.  Its all about the connection between Snoopy and the Apollo 13 crew. Its a nice bit of history.  

Omega-Speedmaster-Silver-Snoopy-Award-50th-Anniversary-310-32-42-50-02-001_004.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d love a flash watch but if I got one people that know me would just think it’s fake. 

Don't worry about what other people think mate. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If anyone wants to get me a Christmas present then I will have one of these Omega please.  

This picture is the back of the watch which no-one sees. Snoopy moves around the moon and back to earth.  Its all about the connection between Snoopy and the Apollo 13 crew. Its a nice bit of history.  

Omega-Speedmaster-Silver-Snoopy-Award-50th-Anniversary-310-32-42-50-02-001_004.jpg

How much ?

A bit of the history behind the Snoopy watch. 

NASA had a team that were dedicated to safety and protecting the crew.  This team adopted Snoopy as their mascot.  Apollo 13 was supposed to land on the moon but an explosion left them battling to return to earth safely.  At several points in the mission the crew had to fire their rockets for very specific amounts of time. A second too long or to too short would see the capsule destroyed.  They timed those bursts using the original model of this watch.   

NASA would give awards for safety innovations and these were known as Silver Snoopy.  This watch was given as a rare silver Snoopy award. 

That's why I like it. Its a piece of history not just a watch. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Maybe a bit late now but when I used to browse the horology (great word) forums, this dealer, in Hull, was always highly thought of for used Rolexes

https://blowers-jewellers.co.uk/store/rolex-watches/

@TrentVilla

Thanks. I could find them on secondary market and this guys got one but is charging £4,500 above the RRP for a brand new watch. Just didn’t want to be ripped off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

something like this?

https://www.watchpilot.co.uk/products/mens-silver-stainless-steel-chronograph-emporio-armani-watch-ar11180

or is a leather strap more fashionable nowadays?

Yeah that is nice, I always think a watch is a very personal choice for guys as its about the only item any of us wear as an accessory which frankly is what watches are these days.

I've always had several watches for different things so I've always had a range to pick and choose what I wear.

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 18:01, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I got one of the Omega Snoopy watches about 5 years ago, with the enamelled back.  It was about £4K new, they're now going for between £30K and £40K on Chrono24.

• Shocked 1

On 13/11/2020 at 23:37, NurembergVillan said:

Depends who you know. Craig is well connected and so is one of Jim's business partners.  They can both sort you out with someone who will sell you a Rolex that will only appreciate in value.

Send me a WhatsApp and we'll tee it up.

Lots of people will sell you one, it's just that it'll be for a big mark up on RRP.

For example, the RRP for a green-dialled Rolex Submariner ("Hulk") is £7.6K.  On reseller sites like Watchfinder, a new unworn one will probably set you back about £20K.  Authorised Rolex dealers will have a limited amount of stock that they'll sell to their best customers.  So if you buy various watches with them during over the years that are expensive but not hard to get hold of, you *might* get your hands on one of the rare pieces.  But even then Rolex insist that the shop keeps hold of the warranty card for a year, to try to stop people flipping them instantly for a massive profit.  So other than getting into the good books of an authorised dealer, your only other option is to pay over the odds for a second hand one.  And if you had one to sell, why would you sell for less than the current market value on the second hand market, you'd literally be giving moeny away if you did.

Need a new watch as where I work are required to wear one.Have found  great deal on Ebay for an Invicta.Are they as good as I have heard that they are? Cheers

Edited by Big Salad

@Big Saladnvicta watches seem to be good value for what you pay.  They aren't a luxury brand so they don't have the insane quality control that you get with luxury brands.  You might be unlucky and get a bad one.  But the chances are you will get one that's perfectly ok.  If accuracy is important in your job get a quartz rather than an automatic. 

Invicta are just about the cheapest automatic (ie mechanical) watches you can buy, as they use a fairly basic Japanese movement.  Some of the styling leaves a bit to be desired (eg this monstrosity https://www.invictastores.eu/mens/invicta-reserve-hercules-34321-mens-automatic-watch-53mm/ ) but a lot of them are a bit more understated.  You can get a decent watch for just over £100 with them, and with a two year guarantee you can't really go wrong at that price.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Invicta are just about the cheapest automatic (ie mechanical) watches you can buy, as they use a fairly basic Japanese movement.  Some of the styling leaves a bit to be desired (eg this monstrosity https://www.invictastores.eu/mens/invicta-reserve-hercules-34321-mens-automatic-watch-53mm/ ) but a lot of them are a bit more understated.  You can get a decent watch for just over £100 with them, and with a two year guarantee you can't really go wrong at that price.

The cheapest however surely has to to be seiko. Swear the 5 goes brand new for a 100 quid. 

21 hours ago, Risso said:

Lots of people will sell you one, it's just that it'll be for a big mark up on RRP.

For example, the RRP for a green-dialled Rolex Submariner ("Hulk") is £7.6K.  On reseller sites like Watchfinder, a new unworn one will probably set you back about £20K.  Authorised Rolex dealers will have a limited amount of stock that they'll sell to their best customers.  So if you buy various watches with them during over the years that are expensive but not hard to get hold of, you *might* get your hands on one of the rare pieces.  But even then Rolex insist that the shop keeps hold of the warranty card for a year, to try to stop people flipping them instantly for a massive profit.  So other than getting into the good books of an authorised dealer, your only other option is to pay over the odds for a second hand one.  And if you had one to sell, why would you sell for less than the current market value on the second hand market, you'd literally be giving moeny away if you did.

Luckily we managed to sort @TrentVilla a Rolex at RRP.  Not the exact one he was looking for, but it's still a nice watch.

You're not wrong, though.  For the most part they're like hen's teeth unless you've got the dealer connection.

You’ve peaked my interest in watches again. :)

looking for an every day watch and price point me to the £500 mark. I had a citizen watch before but reading a bit more Seiko offer similar price point but better quality watches. That right?

I had an old watch which broke on holiday years ago and despite repair it’s never operated properly since. 

https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/cb5034-58l.html

blue dial, calendar, clasp are the key things. 

I’d like this but obviously way out my range currently and at that price wouldn’t really want it depreciating either

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-mens-supermarine/products/s500-blue-face-2018-edition

On 19/12/2020 at 14:47, Risso said:

Invicta are just about the cheapest automatic (ie mechanical) watches you can buy, as they use a fairly basic Japanese movement.  Some of the styling leaves a bit to be desired (eg this monstrosity https://www.invictastores.eu/mens/invicta-reserve-hercules-34321-mens-automatic-watch-53mm/ ) but a lot of them are a bit more understated.  

This genuinely made me audibly gasp. People have actually bought that thing. Incredible. 

20 hours ago, kidlewis said:

You’ve peaked my interest in watches again. :)

looking for an every day watch and price point me to the £500 mark. I had a citizen watch before but reading a bit more Seiko offer similar price point but better quality watches. That right?

I had an old watch which broke on holiday years ago and despite repair it’s never operated properly since. 

https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/cb5034-58l.html

blue dial, calendar, clasp are the key things. 

I’d like this but obviously way out my range currently and at that price wouldn’t really want it depreciating either

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-mens-supermarine/products/s500-blue-face-2018-edition

Bremont make some nice watches, but they depreciate massively, so if you were after one, keep an eye on Watchfinder or similar and you'll get a good quality pre-owned one for half the RRP at least.  For around the £500 mark, i really like Victorinox, eg this: https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Watches/Business-Watches/Alliance-Mechanical-/p/241871

Decent ETA movement and display back. Bargain.

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

Â