Watches

Risso

On 19/12/2020 at 21:55, NurembergVillan said:

Luckily we managed to sort @TrentVilla a Rolex at RRP.  Not the exact one he was looking for, but it's still a nice watch.

You're not wrong, though.  For the most part they're like hen's teeth unless you've got the dealer connection.

Nice one! Look forward to seeing it (and him) ((and you)) when all this nonsense is over.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2020 at 15:46, Risso said:

Nice one! Look forward to seeing it (and him) ((and you)) when all this nonsense is over.

Nottingham meet up when we get past all this crap? Both always welcome, we can talk about watches (phew, kept on topic at the last there)

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 18:01, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If anyone wants to get me a Christmas present then I will have one of these Omega please.  

This picture is the back of the watch which no-one sees. Snoopy moves around the moon and back to earth.  Its all about the connection between Snoopy and the Apollo 13 crew. Its a nice bit of history.  

Omega-Speedmaster-Silver-Snoopy-Award-50th-Anniversary-310-32-42-50-02-001_004.jpg

With it being such a crazy year I decided to treat myself and buy this.  Absolutely no chance.  The nearest I got was 71st in the queue for an expected 25 watches.  They cost £8250 brand new.   Today I was offered a pre- owned on. £32,500.  My first flat cost less than that.  Crazy.  

• Shocked 1

On 21/12/2020 at 19:10, kidlewis said:

You’ve peaked my interest in watches again. :)

looking for an every day watch and price point me to the £500 mark. I had a citizen watch before but reading a bit more Seiko offer similar price point but better quality watches. That right?

I had an old watch which broke on holiday years ago and despite repair it’s never operated properly since. 

https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/cb5034-58l.html

blue dial, calendar, clasp are the key things. 

I’d like this but obviously way out my range currently and at that price wouldn’t really want it depreciating either

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-mens-supermarine/products/s500-blue-face-2018-edition

I still stand by the citizen chronograph eco drive watches at about the £500 price point. Never have to worry about charging or winding, radio controlled so the time and date never need to be set. Superb devices in my opinion.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I still stand by the citizen chronograph eco drive watches at about the £500 price point. Never have to worry about charging or winding, radio controlled so the time and date never need to be set. Superb devices in my opinion.

I love the look of this one

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/product/CB5880-54L.html#q=pcat&lang=default&start=1 

That’s the kind of one I’d be after in terms of face, colour etc. 

53 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

I love the look of this one

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/product/CB5880-54L.html#q=pcat&lang=default&start=1 

That’s the kind of one I’d be after in terms of face, colour etc. 

Looks nice. They do seem to have an infinite variety of styles. All of which seem to be limited edition lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

With it being such a crazy year I decided to treat myself and buy this.  Absolutely no chance.  The nearest I got was 71st in the queue for an expected 25 watches.  They cost £8250 brand new.   Today I was offered a pre- owned on. £32,500.  My first flat cost less than that.  Crazy.  

I had similar thoughts and had a similar experience. Think I’m going back in for a Milgauss instead. 

On 07/01/2021 at 19:32, Lichfield Dean said:

They're very different watches.  If you want a decent manual watch for under a grand, then Seiko are really good.  Likewise Citizen are much better than an average 'fashion' brand quartz watch for a similar price. Depends what you're after, but Citizen make some very good, nice looking watches, I completely agree.

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

They're very different watches.  If you want a decent manual watch for under a grand, then Seiko are really good.  Likewise Citizen are much better than an average 'fashion' brand quartz watch for a similar price. Depends what you're after, but Citizen make some very good, nice looking watches, I completely agree.

Oh absolutely, and it's good that there is a lot of choice of different styles of watches at this price point.

Another newish manufacturer that makes nice automatics at this sort of price is Egard. I have their Passages watch that was (believe it or not) co-designed by William Shatner and has some actual asteroid dust on the display. It has a very nice automatic mechanism. However Egard have just announced they are quitting Twitter for Parler after the Trump ban so I guess I won't be recommending them any more!

33 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

What do people think of the Seiko 5/sports automatic watches?  Seem to be good value and have a nice look to me. I also looked at some of the Citizen Eco Drive watches.  I have roughly £300 to spend.

Seiko 5 series are beautiful. In terms of value for money they are right up there.

• Thanks 1

I feel Garmin have kind of ruined my passion for watches.

It's something about watches, and I like different mechanics, styles and price ranges.

But these days it almost always end up with me wearing my Forerunner, unless I'm suiting up.

I have a Garmin fenix 6 that I wear a lot, as it's a brilliant piece of kit for tracking fitness. But in two years time it'll be out of date and in the back of a drawer somewhere, like my first couple of Apple watches. My proper watches will still be in the safe, and will be worth more than they are now for the most part.  Substantially more in several cases.

• Like 1

Fenix 6 is pretty, but not ideal for sports imo. But to the more important question. You have a safe! ?

I actually had a safe a few years ago. Was fecking massive. Weighed so much. Ended up throwing it when I moved houses. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

16 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Fenix 6 is pretty, but not ideal for sports imo. But to the more important question. You have a safe! ?

I actually had a safe a few years ago. Was fecking massive. Weighed so much. Ended up throwing it when I moved houses. 

It's a plain black sports watch, doesn't look anything remarkable but it's brilliant for running. Yes, have a safe, the insurance people insisted on it.

3 hours ago, Risso said:

It's a plain black sports watch, doesn't look anything remarkable but it's brilliant for running. Yes, have a safe, the insurance people insisted on it.

Yeah my buddy swears to fenix. Thinks he upgrades every year. It looks great, but I prefer the forerunner because of weight and materials.

Safe can be useful, but is it one of those you can carry around? Never quite gotten the logic of those.

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah my buddy swears to fenix. Thinks he upgrades every year. It looks great, but I prefer the forerunner because of weight and materials.

Safe can be useful, but is it one of those you can carry around? Never quite gotten the logic of those.

Nope, takes about 6 men to shift it a few inches.

• Haha 1

Â