GTA 5

Genie

Holy shit

Holy shit indeed.

Just spent 20 minutes reading through chindies link and looking at the photos. This has now become my most anticipated game of all time. Sounds incredible and if it plays how it sounds and providing it runs smooth then this could be the biggest game of all time.

:D

Yeh, when I played COD online it went something like

Game Starts

I die in 5 seconds.

I respawn

I die in 1 second

I respawn

I manage to run around the corner, then die.

I respawn.

I actually see someone, but they shoot me. I die.

Repeat for 10 minutes.

LEast fun thing ever

(I realise this is mostly because I was shit at it)

This was exactly my experience with COD. Blokes I was working with (when COD4 was still newish) were all playing on a Friday night and told me to get online. I bought it, played a bit then went online. I got the shit shot outta me, again and again and again and again. Not fun at all.

I thought Red Dead Redemption on the other hand was excellent.

3 protagonists is a possibly very smart move for Rockstar take for the benefit of the narrative.

I don't like that, what you tend to get is 3 watered down characters that you don't care about, or at least one that you don't as well as a story that struggles to have depth.

Still, faith in Rockstar

Also always a bit weary in these 'bigger than everything ever' statements, sounds huge but i'm wondering how much of it is ocean, interactive buildings (not that that's a bad thing mind) etc. I have no doubt it will be huge, but what they're suggesting would take around an hour to drive around, if that is the case, that's amazing.

Can't wait though.

A few things that itrest me.

A quick menu can be called up to switch characters, the camera pulls away into a Google Earth-style vantage point and then drops into wherever the chosen character is

Rockstar's playtester pours a trail of gas away from a vehicle and drops a zippo lighter on it, the flame travels back and causes a huge explosion

Each character has his own personality motivation and skillset

They go about their daily business when you're not in control, so you might find them in surprising situations when you take control of them again

I love how you can change to a different character mid mission and play their side of it.

You can stay as Michael and try and pick of the enemies or select franklin, switch to his perspective and snipe them from afar.

Sounds **** amazing.

Just finished reading the whole thing and this was incredible:

'We go to quite extreme lengths to make sure we capture the right flavour of each area. We've always done a good amount of research bringing a large chunk of the team over to photograph locations but since IV this has really moved up a gear. We took over quarter million photos this time and filled many hours of video. We created dozends of DVD's filled with information, documentaries, news stories, video clips etc. Census information informed the population control of the area. We looked at car sales and ownership in California to guide our vehicle list.

Insane.

The thing I fear with multiple characters is repetition.

I always feel uncomfortable when I hear a game is going to have more than one playable character in single player.

I think it stems from Donkey Kong 64 where you have to do every level 5 or 6 times, one with each character. And it got tiresome.

Done well, I think it'll be awesome, and I'm sure they will do it well. Sort of intertwine the thre chracters as you go along.

What I wouldn't like is if it's like, well done you've completed the game, now go back and do it with this character instead and it might be slightly different

But this is a completely different game to DK64, which would have been forced to re use assets because it was a cartridge based game hamstrung by a massive lack of capacity. How much data could you fit one one of those cartridges? 32mb? They have already announced that the game world in GTA V is going to be about the same size as San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead combined so making you retread over old ground isnt going to be an issue at all. Obviously there will be some overlap between the campaigns, having multiple threads of one big story intertwining is awesome when done well, but the developers arent going to make you do the minecart level three times just because they spent ages making it and there is no room on the disc for anything else.

Finally, a game where a main character is called Trevor.

How many extra playable characters do you think they can squeeze out in DLC? Surely it's time for a female playable character in GTA too. When I first heard there were 3 playable characters from the off I was quite surprised they were all male.

GUF! Only just realised my custom title is gone. No longer an Elf Bummer.

Â