GTA 5

Genie

But this is a completely different game to DK64, which would have been forced to re use assets because it was a cartridge based game hamstrung by a massive lack of capacity. How much data could you fit one one of those cartridges? 32mb? They have already announced that the game world in GTA V is going to be about the same size as San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead combined so making you retread over old ground isnt going to be an issue at all. Obviously there will be some overlap between the campaigns, having multiple threads of one big story intertwining is awesome when done well, but the developers arent going to make you do the minecart level three times just because they spent ages making it and there is no room on the disc for anything else.

I only mentioned DK64 because it's a game that scarred me for that reason. I realise it bears no relevance to this game.

The point I was making was I hope the stories are intertwined well, as you've suggested they will be, and it's not a case of just doing the same thing again but with a different character

I'm pretty sure the guy from one of the Castlevania games was called Trevor too. And just ask a mod for your title back, they were all wiped in the redesign.

I only mentioned DK64 because it's a game that scarred me for that reason. I realise it bears no relevance to this game.

The point I was making was I hope the stories are intertwined well, as you've suggested they will be, and it's not a case of just doing the same thing again but with a different character

But the reason that game did it was due to a massive technical limitation caused by Nintendo's choice to make the 64 a cartridge based machine. That limitation simply doesnt exist any more.

RDR is probably my favourite game of this generation. Loved every moment, dripping in atmosphere and surprisingly fun to play, on paper it doesn't sound like it should be so good but they absolutely nail it.

As for GTA and the multiple protagonist thing, it could be a great move but they will need to weave these protagonists very carefully into the narrative, it seems they are intent on doing a 3-into-1 narrative which could be glorious, or could feel a little messy and unwieldy.

The series needed a proper shift somewhere however, and Rockstar are on the ball with their bigger gameplay choices usually (traditionally the more basic fundamental stuff is where they've made errors - gunplay for example has usually been a bit crap in GTA titles, they've apparently made an effort to fix that this time), so it should be glorious. Opens the door for strategic choices too.

• Like 1

I think the lock on stuff was absolutely necessary when using the guns on the game was difficult. Without it in the first few 3D GTA titles it would have made it so so difficult.

But yeah, now that they've improved the gun system, they could probably get rid of it.

I don't think the lock on needs to go wholesale, it works very well in RDR, and Max Payne had a variety of decent takes on lock-on shooting. It needs tinkering a little. I think something between RDR and MP3 could be a really good feeling gunplay mechanic that is flexible enough to provide an ease of use and a degree of skillful play.

They have, it's one of the things mentioned in the article. They actually make a suggestion towards the driving mechanic making for a capable serious racer IIRC, which is very interesting...

GTA4's driving took a while to get used to and bikes on it were a bit of a pain in the arse, so a shift in what is predominately a driving game for much of it's length is to be excited about.

Oh cool (haven't actually read the article yet if you couldn't tell!)

Yeah I wasn't a fan of 4's driving mechanics. It was all too bouncy. And as you said, bikes were just plain horrible on it.

More exciting stuff

Really looking forward to exploring the fully detailed sea floor snorkel.gif

And on a kind of related note, as well as a female playable character, they should somehow shoehorn in a trip to space, or a moon landing, or something. I think that would be really fun.

Really looking forward to exploring the fully detailed sea floor snorkel.gif

And on a kind of related note, as well as a female playable character, they should somehow shoehorn in a trip to space, or a moon landing, or something. I think that would be really fun.

They did that in Saints row, and it worked in Saints row because that entire game was insane. Think it'd just be a bit weird in GTA

They did that in Saints row, and it worked in Saints row because that entire game was insane. Think it'd just be a bit weird in GTA

Oh, which one? Is it in no.2? I have that one on PS+ but after being unable to figure out how to invert the camera after 10 minutes, I gave up

Â