330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only pity with Houllier is that he didn't have the decency to walk away and thus accept what was plain to everyone else - that he was incapable of managing at any level never mind the Premier League. Instead he walked off with a 5 mill pay off for doing sweet FA. Says it all about the man.
So basically, you're accusing him of not being decent based on the fact that he didn't resign just because you didn't want him there?

So if me and a few other people on here grow unhappy with McLeish as manager, it would be indecent of him to not resign just because I wasn't happy with him as manager?

Ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion on him as we all are but I don't think it's fair at all to label somebody as indecent just because you weren't happy with them and they didn't resign.

This, when did you become the voice of the masses?? :D

Huh? I was speaking for myself, hence the "I think".

Houllier and Duverne = world class and up to date with modern European football..They knew the standards required to be the best..They knew the tactics, coaching, styles to play to be the best..Both have been there, wore the T-Shirt and wrote the rule book.

McLeish and Grant = Are nowhere near on that same level. Took Blues down twice, dont understand the levels required to stay in the Premierleague, let alone rule Europe. Aint got a clue about technical ability, modern tactics/training etc..More suited to your English Sunday league pub team..

You may as well do a poll; Ron Saunders v Barry Fry.

The only pity with Houllier is that he didn't have the decency to walk away and thus accept what was plain to everyone else - that he was incapable of managing at any level never mind the Premier League. Instead he walked off with a 5 mill pay off for doing sweet FA. Says it all about the man.
So basically, you're accusing him of not being decent based on the fact that he didn't resign just because you didn't want him there?

So if me and a few other people on here grow unhappy with McLeish as manager, it would be indecent of him to not resign just because I wasn't happy with him as manager?

Ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion on him as we all are but I don't think it's fair at all to label somebody as indecent just because you weren't happy with them and they didn't resign.

He's agreeing with you, I think. Hence the "This"

The second bit is directed at Mark

Not directed at you, I was agreeing with your post! :lol:

Could I just add that I'm glad we didn't pick Schteve McLaren.... looks like he's fell out of love with Notts Forest and working within a budget already!

Think you speak for many a Villa fan there, and the mention of him as to winning the Dutch league is really only a definition of standards.

Didn`t even get 6 months together in the Bundesliga, which is admittedly a bit better than the Dutch League.

Although Magath is not doing too well with Wolfsburg right now, but I`m sure he will end up stamping his totalitarian fist upon the proverbial table at some stage. Shame we were not in for Diego on loan (went to athletico Madrid, as he is out of favour), but, then again, a classy brazilian midfielder who is hungry to get into the national team may be a bit too much for us....

As painful as it may be lets just imagine for a minute that Houllier would have stayed beyond last season. Nothing about his career, especially in England, suggests he would have been able to cope with little money to spend. Quite the opposite. In fact having to spend less than half what we have brought in. He simply wouldn't have coped. We struggled for the vast majority of last season and that was with Downing and Young our two best players.

Houllier and no money would have been painful viewing. We were very fortunate last season that he was given the best part of 30 mill to spend in January. Without it there is a very real possibility we would have been relegated. In fact even having spent that amount, and having spent far more on one player, potentially twice as much,as any other manager, we were still in the mix for the drop with a couple of games to go. Given the fact he failed to take any responsibility for our woes last season prefering to blame any Tom, Dick, Warnock, Dunne,Ireland, O'Neill...... for the shit we were in you can just imagine he'd have been armed and ready with the excuse of having little money to spend.

Given the players we have and our finances McLeish ,whilst in no way my first or my ideal choice, is a much better fit than Houllier. He'll take responsbility, accept that having taken the job it is down to him to get the best out of the players he has inherited and won't make excuses or pass the buck if things don't go well. In fact taking responsibility and showing leadership is the least you'd expect a manager to do. Sadly Houllier failed to do that and we almost paid the ultimate price.

Do you know what, you might be right, its all conjecture now isnt it?

I can honestly say I would rather have seen what Houllier could have done with a full transfer window than know what McLeish will do and bring to the club.

Difficult to make the distinction between the eras of the 2 managers and the actual management of the 2 men.

I was quite optimistic under Houllier because he was making excisting signings and we were all expecting him to have a big summer war chest to spend on exciting foreign talent. However, make no mistake, he made a mess of things from a footballing point of view.

On the other hand, McLeish is steering the Villa through one of the toughest periods, financially, that the club has faced for many years. Yet I remain more confident of his ability to manage the team available to him.

Ergo, McLeish gets the nod.

I can honestly say I would rather have seen what Houllier could have done with a full transfer window than know what McLeish will do and bring to the club.

Except you dont know what McLeish will do.

Not directed at you, I was agreeing with your post! :lol:

Ah, my apologies. :P

Don`t think anyone really knows just what he will do tbh.

Good thing too. Traditionally we have always played our cards close to the chest, and there really is no reason to change that.

No your right of course, but I dont think he has surprised anyone with the fact he has focused on the defence, plays two deeplying midfielders to supplement them and is not too bothered about Bent being a spectator.

I think he has done pretty much what I expected so far!

This poll is rigged since one of the two is the current manager and our fans lack of perspective and abundance of bias will naturally result in aforementioned being favoured.

Neither played good football, results wise too early to tell. I would say Houllier, though Young and Downing would still have departed I have a feeling the summer would have been a tad more interesting with him at the helm (that's interesting in a good way, not the we're going to appoint your rivals manager who just got them relegated kind of interesting). He also signed Bent, who ranks up there as one of the best acquisitions in the 25 years i've been following the club.

Like someone said before, at least Houllier looked forward, pretty sure what we're seeing right now is the finished article with Eck and the latest signings are indicative of that approach.

Is McLeish getting the best out of Darren Bent? And does McLeish understand what the player can do? Ive not seen any evidence so far since McLeish took over to suggest he does. Yet this is what Houllier had to say;

“Bent’s goal ratio speak for itself and he’s a good man too,” said Houllier. “I think he will improve because he listens. If you give him a few tips and a few details he’ll try to get on to that.

“His movement is outstanding. If you press the red button when you watch Sky to follow the movement of a player then you should watch Bent because he gives a lesson to other strikers. It shows what a centre-forward can do during a game and he’s very good at it.

“I think he’s improved since he’s been at Villa. He’s more aware of his duties, he’s not just a fox in the box.

“The way he links with the other players and his movement.

“What I like about him is he can play as a holding striker and sometimes he can go in between the defenders, drop deep, run towards goals and push forward.”

Houllier also believes Villa are yet to see the best of Cameroon international midfielder Jean Makoun who arrived with Bent in the January transfer window.

And the former claret and blue boss reckons the coming season will be an important one for the club’s young guns, especially Fabian Delph and Gary Gardner.

“They also have Jean Makoun and they haven’t seen what he can do because he was injured at the end of the season and he is also going to be an asset,” said Houllier.

Birmingham Mail.

He also signed Bent, who ranks up there as one of the best acquisitions in the 25 years i've been following the club.

Like someone said before, at least Houllier looked forward, pretty sure what we're seeing right now is the finished article with Eck and the latest signings are indicative of that approach.

He did indeed sign Bent but it was by smashing our transfer record by millions and potentially doubling it. As we have seen he wouldn’t have anything like that amount of money to spend any time soon. Give me potentially 24 mill to spend and I’ll bring in a very good player.

As for McLeish’s signing what did you expect given the funds he has been given? Shay Given is excellent business, NZogbia is arguably the best he could have done with 10 mill, Hutton looks a decent replacement for Luke Young and for right money.

Houllier is not known as a manager who can work without funds. Quite the opposite. Even in his brief time here he needed to spend the best part of 30 mill to help get us out of the deep shit he had got us into.

We have spent around 16 mill this summer. Brought in around 38 mill and had to massively slash the wage bill. The funds were just not there for the major rebuilding job that would have been needed had Houllier stayed as he had shown he was incapable of getting anything like the best out of many of our players.

Is McLeish getting the best out of Darren Bent? And does McLeish understand what the player can do? Ive not seen any evidence so far since McLeish took over to suggest he does. Yet this is what Houllier had to say;

“Bent’s goal ratio speak for itself and he’s a good man too,” said Houllier. “I think he will improve because he listens. If you give him a few tips and a few details he’ll try to get on to that.

“His movement is outstanding. If you press the red button when you watch Sky to follow the movement of a player then you should watch Bent because he gives a lesson to other strikers. It shows what a centre-forward can do during a game and he’s very good at it.

“I think he’s improved since he’s been at Villa. He’s more aware of his duties, he’s not just a fox in the box.

“The way he links with the other players and his movement.

“What I like about him is he can play as a holding striker and sometimes he can go in between the defenders, drop deep, run towards goals and push forward.”

Houllier also believes Villa are yet to see the best of Cameroon international midfielder Jean Makoun who arrived with Bent in the January transfer window.

And the former claret and blue boss reckons the coming season will be an important one for the club’s young guns, especially Fabian Delph and Gary Gardner.

“They also have Jean Makoun and they haven’t seen what he can do because he was injured at the end of the season and he is also going to be an asset,” said Houllier.

Birmingham Mail.

Bent looks exactly the same as he did last season - often isolated for long stretches, some decent link play, the odd bad touch, and crucially still as sharp as ever in front of goal. Bent is the kind of player that performs more or less the same no matter which manager or what style of play the team adopts.

If anything, when I think about just how isolated and uninvolved he was during the home games in the second half of last season such as Fulham, Wolves, Newcastle, Wigan and Liverpool, the system we've started with this season so far seems to suggest he's more involved with our general play and linking with the other forwards.

So, sorry but no opportunity for further pro-Houllier McLeish-bashing here.

When checking out of our hotel in Spain, guess who's just checked in ??

Big Eck

Guess he deserves a holiday on the back of some decent results and i think he cut short his summer hols

Was going to have a chat but we were in a rush

Â