Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

It's only a 'load of bollocks' for those who don't fully understand the game.

FFS the 'I completed championship manager' brigade!!! The footballing illuminati!!!

The Houllier era was awful!!! A cantankerous old fool, who didn't even realize that you can't polish a turd or try to get Collins and Dunne pass the ball. A man who didn't even recognise that the defense is an important part of a team. I love the that there are people who think they are so superior to everyone else that they can 'see what Houllier was trying to build'. Bollox no one on here has a clue what Houllier was doing, FFS Houllier didn't know what he was doing!!!

Who is better GH or AM??? IMO both are mediorce and neither should have been appointed as the boss of our great club!!

But Collins and Dunne are obsolete if you want CL football..What does Houllier do? Play an old hat system to suit aging players, with futuristic kids coming though to get the safe draw, or the odd decent 3pts to finish 7th or 8th? Or to set the team up to suit modern day football, that would match the best in Europe and help our future players adapt accordingly?

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS the 'I completed championship manager' brigade!!! The footballing illuminati!!!

The Houllier era was awful!!! A cantankerous old fool, who didn't even realize that you can't polish a turd or try to get Collins and Dunne pass the ball. A man who didn't even recognise that the defense is an important part of a team. I love the that there are people who think they are so superior to everyone else that they can 'see what Houllier was trying to build'. Bollox no one on here has a clue what Houllier was doing, FFS Houllier didn't know what he was doing!!!

Who is better GH or AM??? IMO both are mediorce and neither should have been appointed as the boss of our great club!!

But Collins and Dunne are obsolete if you want CL football..What does Houllier do? Play an old hat system to suit aging players, with futuristic kids coming though to get the safe draw, or the odd decent 3pts to finish 7th or 8th? Or to set the team up to suit modern day football, that would match the best in Europe and help our future players adapt accordingly?

All that Houllier did was set the team up to play old hat tippy tappy football similar to Tony Mowbray in which he played players out of position and we lost games... Hardly revolutionary is it, to lose games because you are too pig headed to admit you are wrong!!

As for Collins and Dunne, MON managed to get the same team to within two games of CL positions in the league and two Wembley visits. Houllier managed to get the same team to within two games of relegation.... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out which one was the clueless rocket polisher???

All that Houllier did was set the team up to play old hat tippy tappy football similar to Tony Mowbray in which he played players out of position and we lost games... Hardly revolutionary is it, to lose games because you are too pig headed to admit you are wrong!!

As for Collins and Dunne, MON managed to get the same team to within two games of CL positions in the league and two Wembley visits. Houllier managed to get the same team to within two games of relegation.... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out which one was the clueless rocket polisher???

If you think that then maybe you should do some homework...Houllier dosnt do "old hat"...He is constantly moving forward and understands the next generation style of football and the levels required. He is extremely connected and close to Clairfontane which is constantly developing the future football player with future training programs. Duverne is the same, and nowhere near old hat tippy tappy..You are talking about guys that understand methods more advanced that what are instilled at clubs like Barcelona.

Dellboy you are not looking at the bigger picture you are judging him on the results of his tenure which was less than a full season. Houllier's plan was long-term to change the whole footballing ethos at the club. Short-term pain was required for long-term gain. Of course Tippy tappy was going to cause us problems in the transition, but the ethos and ambition was there following a PROVEN successful footballing blue-print.

I see no blue-print with Mcleish. His way of football is a proven failure. Well actually maybe I'm being overtly harsh there, his not-loose at any cost mentality can be quite useful in a cup-run, but to get us into the Champions League or make us a big club again it will just not happen. In fact his mentality of not loosing at any cost can be damn right dangerous in league campaign, as Birmingham City found out last season.

If you think that then maybe you should do some homework...Houllier dosnt do "old hat"...He is constantly moving forward and understands the next generation style of football and the levels required. He is extremely connected and close to Clairfontane which is constantly developing the future football player with future training programs. Duverne is the same, and nowhere near old hat tippy tappy..You are talking about guys that understand methods more advanced that what are instilled at clubs like Barcelona.

We still didn't win as many games as we should have done and at the end of the day that's all that matters in football?

Plus all I saw on the pitch was some gutless displays by a team who obviously thought their manager was an idiot! Apparently Fat Sam used to employ some revolutionary ideas in his training but he was still not someone I wanted as a manager of our club! Houllier record is still poor compared to Mourinho, Pep, Wenger, SAF, Lippi, Ancellotti and even Dalglish. To make him out to be the most technically gifted coach in the world is deluded at best! All the interviews you keep posting are just words, he has never backed this up with success on the pitch at a top European team!

People can argue things might have improved this season but there is nothing to suggest that was the case and this notion there was some grand plan, some vision that only some can see is in my opinion utter crap.

- The form of Bent.

- Our teams form since Bent arrived

- Wins over Arsenal and Liverpool

- The emergence of Bannan, Albrighton and Clark

- Possession over counter-attack

Just some of the nothings that suggest things might have been better this season. No doubt you'd prepare a list of negatives - but in my opinion I'll just call your list "utter crap" too. :winkold:

We still didn't win as many games as we should have done and at the end of the day that's all that matters in football?

Plus all I saw on the pitch was some gutless displays by a team who obviously thought their manager was an idiot! Apparently Fat Sam used to employ some revolutionary ideas in his training but he was still not someone I wanted as a manager of our club! Houllier record is still poor compared to Mourinho, Pep, Wenger, SAF, Lippi, Ancellotti and even Dalglish. To make him out to be the most technically gifted coach in the world is deluded at best! All the interviews you keep posting are just words, he has never backed this up with success on the pitch at a top European team!

Its hard to explain...But Houllier is behind France as a Nation becoming one of the best footballing Countries in the world. He basically helped(was the main figure)set up Clairefontaine. Which enabled France to start football coaching "as a nation" to rival Spain and Holland, it has since overtaken both those and arguably leading the way in player development and coaching. The work Houllier does is above those coaches you mention because he is at the heart of invention and change..Most of those coaches are merley using the players that Houllier and his imput in the system in France helped develop..Benzema and Maklouda for instance were developed by Houllier and his system..You should read what these players say about him and the stuff they learnt from him. They both state they would never be where they are had it not been for Houllier. So its not just Carragher and Gerrard that benefited from him, it expands much further.

Dellboy you are not looking at the bigger picture you are judging him on the results of his tenure which was less than a full season.

:crylaugh: So I should judge Houllier not on what he actually did but on what some enlightened choosen few 'think' he was trying to acheive! Amazing!

Which enabled France to start football coaching "as a nation" to rival Spain and Holland, it has since overtaken both those and arguably leading the way in player development and coaching.

**** me dead, which planet is this guy on?

Someone remind me, how did France fare at the last world cup? the last euros?

Which enabled France to start football coaching "as a nation" to rival Spain and Holland, it has since overtaken both those and arguably leading the way in player development and coaching.

**** me dead, which planet is this guy on?

Someone remind me, how did France fare at the last world cup? the last euros?

Houllier seems to be like some kind of Charles Manson figure with his followers believing every bit of bollox that comes out of his mouth or is written on the internet???

What are the odds on France winning Brazil 2014, we'd all better get our life savings on them by the sounds of it??

France were World Cup winners in 1998 and Euro winners in 2000. Houllier was awarded a World Cup Medal in recognition of the work he did with the countries youth teams.

Even in the short time he was here we seen improvements to our players games. Ashley Young became more dynamic and intelligent. Gabby from what I've seen this season looks a lot more skilful and intelligent player, I credit this to Houllier.

Ashley Young became more dynamic and intelligent.

Ashley had one of his poorer seasons last year and only looked good when he was moved back to his best position on the wing.

Gabby from what I've seen this season looks a lot more skilful and intelligent player,

You are seeing things differently to me then mate?

France were World Cup winners in 1998 and Euro winners in 2000. Houllier was awarded a World Cup Medal in recognition of the work he did with the countries youth teams.

Even in the short time he was here we seen improvements to our players games. Ashley Young became more dynamic and intelligent. Gabby from what I've seen this season looks a lot more skilful and intelligent player, I credit this to Houllier.

Popular opinion seems to be that Ash and Gabby both had their poorest seasons for us last year under the French genius.

Popular opinion seems to be that Ash and Gabby both had their poorest seasons for us last year under the French genius.

Gabby had a serious injury that affected him for practically the whole season and took injections to play according to his brother. I suppose that was Houllier's fault along all the natural disasters in the world.

FFS, you just rubbished Jenas on loan and put Joke Cole and Hitz as better options. I can no longer take your opinion seriously.

Ashley Young became more dynamic and intelligent.

Ashley had one of his poorer seasons last year and only looked good when he was moved back to his best position on the wing.

Tell that to Bent. He's really enjoying the service from Heskey in the hole rather than Young.

Please tell us you're taking the piss, please.

Can someone tell me what it was that houllier was trying to do and why it was such a great thing? And is there actually any evidence to prove this great thing houllier was building or is it all based on steak and chips love for him and interviews he did years ago?

Was he implementing new tactics? Well no he wasn't, MON in Pre season changed the formation and tried young in the hole, k mac continued with that and so did houllier. He stuck with it for over 20 games until we were in real trouble and then woke up.

Also he refused to do anything about the defence. Now I'm now footballing genius like mr houllier but I would have thought building a new great style of football would require a certain amount of time solving obvious weaknesses which the great houllier failed to do.

Was he trying to implement this new great style using youth? Well he played young players because he had to and dropped them pretty much as soon as the senior players returned.

His style of football was pathetic, it was possession football in areas that weren't a danger to the opposition. His defence was set up in a shambolic way. He destroyed team spirit, any fight the team had to get back into games and was an embarrassment in the press and towards the fans.

Now there are stats, facts, games and results to show all that so I frankly couldn't give a shit that houllier fan number 1 posts interviews from years ago or makes up his own bullshit.

Houllier was one of the worst appointments this club ever made.

I think you are looking at this through blinkers. We did try to keep the ball, it was so obviously different to what ONeill was doing that you couldnt possibly not notice it, unless you just didnt want to.

The problem we had was the lack of technical ability in the squad, we couldnt play the passing game at a tempo that regularly opened up the opposition, which often meant we kept the ball but possession floundered.

Now that we have returned to a UK thump it and chase philosophy, the players look happier and you no doubt will be much more pleased.

We could have mourinho in charge and he would fail to do any good under the current regime

I actually feel sorry for McLeish in the job he's been given to do here with the rediculous restrictions put in place by Lerner and Co especially the way other teams around us have strengthened

Â