Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

He just looked so assured slotting right back in on Saturday as if he had been in the first team for ten years not ten matches.

Such a huge improvement on last season when the little we saw of him I (and many others) weren't sure he was even worth bringing off the bench for the end of matches.

Hope he can get even better! One of the first names on the team sheet for me now.

Becoming our essential bit of bite in midfield. He's looking a better prospect than I thought he would be, but I still think he needs to be calmed down a little and discouraged from forcing the play when he's in possession.

I didn't think Herd would be good, I've changed my mind. Looks decent.

Same for me. I thought he'd be moved onto a lower league side like Lowry.

Suppose it's proof that he might not have the technique of say a Bannan but he certainly has the desire to succeed.

He's a very important player for us now. If you take out the West Brom game where he was stupidly sent off when we were winning (and he was our best player at that point), he's started 8 games in midfield, winning 3 drawing 3 and losing to Spurs away and United at home. He has the engine to balance Petrov.

I don't see it, guys. I'm sorry, but I don't. Herd hasn't impressed me. He has a good engine and some bite in his tackle, but so do Jay Spearing and Lee Cattermole.

Speaking as a season ticket holder I can safely say that Chris Herd has been one of the few positives of a poor season. Yesterday I watched this kid win a tackle, play it wide and then be the furthest Villa player forward when the cross came in, despite the fact at least 2 Villa players were ahead of him when he put his challenge in.

Chris Herd, if given the chance, will be the ball-winning midfielder for Villa for years to come!!

Â