The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 12/11/2023 at 09:22, Zatman said:

Matt Lowton signed for 8th tier Witton Albion

Guess he must've just lost his motivation for football. He played at VP (and got sent off for Burnley) as recently as May 2022 so wonder if anyone has gone from playing in prem to semi pro in just 18 months (who isn't about 38)?

Which club does Joe Bennett play for now as I always link Lowton and Bennett together given they signed in the same summer, both did fine after leaving us.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Guess he must've just lost his motivation for football. He played at VP (and got sent off for Burnley) as recently as May 2022 so wonder if anyone has gone from playing in prem to semi pro in just 18 months (who isn't about 38)?

Which club does Joe Bennett play for now as I always link Lowton and Bennett together given they signed in the same summer, both did fine after leaving us.

None; he was let go by Wigan in the summer and is now a free agent. 

On 23/10/2023 at 22:07, Zatman said:

Ross McCormack will be on Under the Cosh in the coming weeks, we might finally learn about Gategate

On patreon now.

Man splits up with wife, doesn't see his kids and tells his gaffer he's struggling with depression and the drink and the gaffer fines him two weeks wages and tells the press he didn't report for training.

Way to treat a person and a 12m asset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, sne said:

Saw him get 25 minutes at West Ham the other day. Made little to no impact and looked like an old man playing with kids. 
Always liked him when he was with us but he’s been rather anonymous since then. 

His missus is from Solihull I think so guess it's one of those get into your 30s (I still have him down as a promising 22 year old!) and find a local team to save time on the commute and spend more time with the family.

Don't think he gets in their starting 11 with Diangana back on form lately but he'll be a decent option off the bench.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His missus is from Solihull I think so guess it's one of those get into your 30s (I still have him down as a promising 22 year old!) and find a local team to save time on the commute and spend more time with the family.

Don't think he gets in their starting 11 with Diangana back on form lately but he'll be a decent option off the bench.

He lives in Dorridge, has done since his Villa days.

It’s a shame he’s signed for Sandwell Town, I’ve always wanted him to be be successful wherever he played with the exception of the Dingles and now Sandwell Town.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Had a fair few uneventful years when he left at Derby but carved out a great career for himself.

Second striker born in the wrong decade.

He came through as CF for us and then settled nicely into the wide position in 12/13 and showed great potential. Then bumper contract and no real desire (from both sides) to improve really.

That was a huge issue in the Lambert era. He did a job out wide with his workrate and that was enough. Main issue stopping him progressing was his technique was very average. How often would we have a decent counter and he'd fire a 100mph ball at Gabby or Benteke and it would just go out of play?

That's where working with a Emery type manager at that stage of his career would've done wonders as he'd have been working night and day at Bodymoor to get Andi improving that aspect of his game.

He was a decent finisher so no reason he couldn't have had an Ollie type career in premier league.

Â