The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 25/08/2023 at 20:43, newhavenhibby said:

Thanks Dave , this weekend is really important for Lee Johnson as with only Aberdeen away to come before the break if we lose tomorrow, then next Thursday and take nothing at the Dons ( not a happy hunting ground for us) which will leave us with zero points, then I can see him getting the sack...........cannot come soon enough for most Hibs fans now.

Good luck to Villa on the domestic front and in Europe , I think with Emery in charge and the players he has brought in, things are looking good for the future down Aston way. 👍

:flag:

I was a guest at Ross Country v Rangers yesterday. A fiend is a director at the Cairngorm Group and also a Rangers fan so got corporate tickets to make sure he got tickets and so I benefited indirectly too. A good day out. Breakfast and a bevie. Alex McCleish was the guest speaker and spoke well mainly about his time at Aberdeen when SAF was manager. I didn’t get chance to speak to him as he was generally cornered by people more keen on speaking to him including the Ross County owner who I felt it was right to deffer to given I was there on a freebie without a horse in the race and his investment was into the £millions! I never really had a beef with McCleish, certainly nothing to do with his former employers in Small Heath. He was a little unfortunate in that he was with us at a time when we weren’t in a great place as a club. But we’ve had worse managers before and after. One of which was also Rangers manager! I also used to work with a company that had a guy working for them thst lived in the same village in Oxfordshire that he lived in and used to chat to him in the pub. He always said what a genuinely nice guy he was and how he was desperate to get back into management. He certainly told s good story about SAF who sounds every bit as scary as his legendary reputation would suggest. 

• Like 2

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I was a guest at Ross Country v Rangers yesterday. A fiend is a director at the Cairngorm Group and also a Rangers fan so got corporate tickets to make sure he got tickets and so I benefited indirectly too. A good day out. Breakfast and a bevie. Alex McCleish was the guest speaker and spoke well mainly about his time at Aberdeen when SAF was manager. I didn’t get chance to speak to him as he was generally cornered by people more keen on speaking to him including the Ross County owner who I felt it was right to deffer to given I was there on a freebie without a horse in the race and his investment was into the £millions! I never really had a beef with McCleish, certainly nothing to do with his former employers in Small Heath. He was a little unfortunate in that he was with us at a time when we weren’t in a great place as a club. But we’ve had worse managers before and after. One of which was also Rangers manager! I also used to work with a company that had a guy working for them thst lived in the same village in Oxfordshire that he lived in and used to chat to him in the pub. He always said what a genuinely nice guy he was and how he was desperate to get back into management. He certainly told s good story about SAF who sounds every bit as scary as his legendary reputation would suggest. 

P. S. I always thought that Lee Johnson was a good manager when he was at Bristol, I can’t remember which one?  I hope he survives because that will mean he’s turned things around for you boys. Obviously without any distractions from European involvement! Just thinking of you mate!😂😂

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

P. S. I always thought that Lee Johnson was a good manager when he was at Bristol, I can’t remember which one?  I hope he survives because that will mean he’s turned things around for you boys. Obviously without any distractions from European involvement! Just thinking of you mate!😂😂

Bigger picture and all that!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

How was it a torrid route? He got to move to a new country, won a few trophies and played in Europe

Its a lot better than ploughing away in the Championship at West Brom or Preston for a few seasons

The better question is why he came back, give me a choice of Bratislava or Rotherham and I ain't living in South Yorkshire. 

On 14/08/2023 at 09:42, lapal_fan said:

Nathan Baker moving into a new career after his football career ended last year :)  Good luck warrior.  Remember, you don't need to use your head for anything other than thinking now!

Strange. You would have thought he'd have still earned enough in his career not to need to work now. 

If it's just a matter of keeping yourself busy that's not going to be great fun. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Strange. You would have thought he'd have still earned enough in his career not to need to work now. 

If it's just a matter of keeping yourself busy that's not going to be great fun. 

I mean he seems to be interested in it? Not my cup of tea but maybe he enjoys it. 

Baker probably wasnt on crazy amounts, i think financial advice will be a good career for him, especially as he will have contacts in the game who want their money managed....its not rocket science and you can pass exams and use common sense and read the broadsheets which will give you a decent level of knowledge which can be built on....he's in bristol too which is a bit of a hotbed for the personal finance industry, i imagine he will have his own company however they have Hargreaves Lansdown down that way and im guessing they are aware of him given their connections to brostol city

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan Lyden , the Australian who played 4 games for Villa around 2016 having been at the club since 2012, has joined my "English" club, Hereford FC after being released from Leyton Orient.  Think he has struggled with injuries so we will have to wait and see how he copes with the rough and tumble of the National League North!

COYB

• Like 2

Not directly an ex Villa player but just watched the Killie v Hibs game and they have Kyle Vassell playing up front for them. Thought his style seemed familiar and when I checked he is the cousin of Darius Vassell whom many of you know spent many years at Villa. 

Darius last I heard was an academy coach at Wolves but whether he is still there I don't know.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Richie De Laet playing v Barca in the CL this evening.

Trying to remember the story with him, wasn't he one of those we signed and he did his ACL second game or something and was never seen again before quietly getting released 2-3 years later?

He signed for us just before our first season started in the championship summer 2016 and was starting games for us, then I think it was the Brentford game which Ryan woods ran the show and Dean smith was managing them and unlucky not to win that he got injured and we basically never saw him again 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I'd have him back as backup, but I know he went to Villareal to end his days as a player. 

• Like 1

Â