The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 16/04/2024 at 09:14, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Would surely have been on stupid wages for his ability and he himself was a depressingly poor replacement for Laursen.

I think the above poster meant James Collins the striker we had in the youth teams back then 

On 15/04/2024 at 17:33, Zatman said:

Not a player but Lambert is on Under the Cosh this week, I wonder will he say much about his Villa times

Thanks, always enjoy listening to that podcast. Lambert is actually doing a Q&A with FourFourTwo Magazine so that will be out in a month or two. Actually sent him a question about whether he regrets the Villa move.

Of course I guess at the time he felt it was too good to turn down but what he was doing was working at Norwich so sometimes you don't realise the opportunity you presently have and that was the start of the slow death of his managerial career.

Interested what his response will be to all that.

31 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think the above poster meant James Collins the striker we had in the youth teams back then 

No its the centre back

3 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Hopefully the Lambert Under the Cosh podcast has subtitles. 

It'll be a good cure for my insomnia.

On 15/04/2024 at 18:30, Villatillidie95 said:

I remember near the end of his time here, you could see on his face how much pressure he was under and he had gained a lot of weight. Saw him talking on tv a few weeks back and he looks a million miles healthier now 9 years on which sounds crazy but it must be stressful struggling at a huge club with the expectations it entails 

He could have resigned? Held out for the sacking though. Football management is one of the few jobs you can have where you can be financially rewarded for being shite. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Listened to the James Collins one and confirmed MON gave them most of the week off, put no emphasis on fitness or training and had zero tactical input other than head the ball you C*nts when questioned by Dunne/Collins.

The players obviously loved him because of all the time off and Milner questioned the training methods numerous times and was told by MON there's a f*king exercise bike over there use it.

I believe MON did as much harm to the club's progress as anyone, with the right manager and our financial power at the time we should have cemented that top 4 position. He helped cultivate that lazy dressing room that Gabby and Co led and rebelled against any type of professionalism.

No surprise we blew up in Mar every year. No surprise Milner left and won a load of trophies and is still playing now. No surprise O'Neill failed everywhere else. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Hopefully the Lambert Under the Cosh podcast has subtitles. 

So Paul, what happened on that magical trip to Germany that made us more dire

• Haha 1

So Paul, what was the thought process behind taking an 18m - 24m striker along with a few other senior pros and putting them in a "bomb squad" which immediately put their value to £0.00 and told every PL club "HEY!!!!! We are absolutely desperate to get rid of these players. Truly and completely desperate. They have no future here what so ever and aren't worth the paper their contracts are written  on. So , shall we start the bidding at 10m?"

- club puts in loan offers worth fjuck all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

So Paul, what was the thought process behind taking an 18m - 24m striker along with a few other senior pros and putting them in a "bomb squad" which immediately put their value to £0.00 and told every PL club "HEY!!!!! We are absolutely desperate to get rid of these players. Truly and completely desperate. They have no future here what so ever and aren't worth the paper their contracts are written  on. So , shall we start the bidding at 10m?"

- club puts in loan offers worth fjuck all.

Was it ever clear to what extent that was his idea, versus the club hierarchy's? Anyway, it was **** stupid for the reasons you identify. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Was it ever clear to what extent that was his idea, versus the club hierarchy's? Anyway, it was **** stupid for the reasons you identify. 

Bent has said a few times it was Lambert idea to move the players out the squad and told him he wasnt in his plans

Have heard another player say it maybe was Bannan

On 18/04/2024 at 15:56, HanoiVillan said:

I think Stephen Ireland said it came from Lerner.

In other ex-Villa news, nice to see Callum O’Hare score against United today. Pity about the penos.

On 22/04/2024 at 21:13, Mozzavfc said:

Barry Bannan made his 400th appearance for Sheffield Wednesday yesterday 

Amazing feat, especially as he spent 2 years at Palace after leaving us

I've no idea why but Bannan is always gonna be one of my favourites, even if he was a bit mental off the pitch. Fair play to him, 400 games for any club is incredible, and I know a Wednesday fan that genuinely adores him. 

59 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Heskey and Sidwell have n the Crouch podcast, saying Gabby used to ask for the team to MON about having loads of time off. It’s no wonder we’d fall off a cliff. The more you hear of Gabby the more he took us (club and fans) for mugs 

James Collins said on Under the Cosh that MON loved Gabby and Young and other players would goad them to ask MON for extra days off and he would allow it

MON was a bigger poison

Â