Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

He hasn't had enough time to warrant writing him off, that much is true.

But why is he so highly rated among Villa fans? He's never really done anything to get our expectations up, save a couple of good performances for the reserves. 

He was the best of that golden generation of our academy which produced Bannan, Clark, Albrighton, Baker and Weimann.

Edited by Con

But why is he so highly rated among Villa fans? He's never really done anything to get our expectations up, save a couple of good performances for the reserves. 

He was the best of that golden generation of our academy which produced Bannan, Clark, Albrighton, Baker and Weimann.

i did go to watch him in the next gen.

he did look like he had something about him, he was more like a lampard, gerrard scholes type of player than an AM

give him a run of games, whats the worst that could happen

• Like 1

I like it "Golden generation"  :)

Is he any good at corners??

So what if he his? Lambert will tell him to float in 2mph balls aimed at Baker anyway.

I'm just going to keep saying this whenever someone complains about the corners, villa had the fifth most goals from corners last year from the fifth fewest attempts. It's clearly not an ineffective system, most teams don't score a lot from corners.

Golden generation that have contributed to some of the worst football the premier league has ever served!

Harsh I think Stoke lay claim to that acolade  :) Guess in terms of players who have come through our academy that have made our first team, its a bit of a golden generation but we haven't produced the same quality Southampton have.

Edited by PaulC

I'm just going to keep saying this whenever someone complains about the corners, villa had the fifth most goals from corners last year from the fifth fewest attempts. It's clearly not an ineffective system, most teams don't score a lot from corners.

So what if he his? Lambert will tell him to float in 2mph balls aimed at Baker anyway.

Where did you get that stat from my friend? Also, did Westwood take most of our corners that led to goals last season? What about this season?

Every corner is a goal scoring opportunity. Did you see United last season? They had around 14 goals IIRC with an EFFECTIVE system. You can't dismiss a persons frustration at our corners by throwing that particular stat out. Nobody wants to see a corner hit a persons head 10% of the time, its about consistency and putting actual pressure on an opponent. 

Just found this as well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2311576/Premier-League-corner-conversion-statistics-Manchester-United-best-Newcastle-United-worst.html

You have to understand that this is the highest level of football in the world, Westwood should be finding his team-mates more. I am not expecting to score 15+ goals from corners but we need to be more effective from this position. 

Agreed. We can all hope he fulfills his promise. It sure would be nice for him to come good.

The sole reason for that is how phenomenal Benteke was in the air before this recent rough patch.

If we put in corners that didn't give the fans time to get up and go for a piss before they eventually hit someone's head, then Benteke (and possibly others) would be able to score even more.

So the system may not seem ineffective, but if it wasn't for that one man I doubt we'd have scored a single goal from a corner.

Golden generation that have contributed to some of the worst football the premier league has ever served!

Harsh I think Stoke lay claim to that acolade  :) Guess in terms of players who have come through our academy that have made our first team, its a bit of a golden generation but we haven't produced the same quality Southampton have.

at least stoke were exciting to watch under pulis we dont even get that luxury

at least stoke were exciting to watch under pulis we dont even get that luxury

Not sure if serious.

Exciting might not have been the right word but they got the ball in the box and made things happen. We don't even do that

Â