Gym Routine

olboydave

47 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This is doing the rounds. A lot of people lolling at the “poor form” etc.

But my guess is Real Madrid trainers and physios are more clued up on football fitness than your average Twitter gym bro.

So can anyone explain this?

The people lolling at form are probably used to seeing those machines used for training legs to make them as big and strong as possible.

My guess is those players are using it to train their jumping strength looking at the exercises they're doing.

• Like 1

Looks fine to me, though like any other type of training there are certain risks and precautions to be aware of. Some things to note:

• Ramos and Modric are not doing squats. They're doing plyometrics to increase their jumping power and speed/acceleration. The reason people find these exercises unusual is because most people who go to the gym to build muscle/lose weight will never do these. They were designed for athletes to increase their power and explosiveness by rapidly extending and contracting a group of muscles as hard as they can.

• The leg press machine used here is to ensure that a specific muscle group is engaged - rather than simply jumping off the ground (also a viable plyo exercise) which is a coordinated body movement - as it makes for more efficient and less tiring training. You can see them pushing with their toes and their feet lift briefly off the board. At the moment that their legs are straightened, their feet are not in contact with the board, so there are no stresses in the joints. It's very hard to do this exercise without straightening your knee - try jumping as high as you can without straightening your knees at any given moment.

• The risks involved with this exercise is that the athlete is one knee hyperextension from fracturing their tibia or patella if they don't brace against the board properly. Granted this is not a great risk as the weights involved appear to be minimal and only there to simulate a jumping motion. More importantly, extended 'landing' on the board with straightened knees also could lead to meniscal wear and development of osteoarthritis over time. That's why a professional is required to watch over them and ensure their technique is correct to prevent long term damage to the joints. The video confirms that presence of said professional (the only real criticism being him busy chatting with someone else while Luka was training) and correct technique.

• Muscle injuries due to overexertion are also a risk but as always this applies to all exercises and not this one in particular, and to athletes on a case-by-case basis. Of course, given that these plyometrics target a specific muscle group, the chances of injury by overexertion become higher. It’s the trainer’s job to design the workout that maximizes results and minimizes injury risks.

• Benz and Varane are doing leg presses in the correct way - no problems there.

Interesting!

Edited by KentVillan

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Interesting!

If they were doing something like this.. 

People wouldn't be questioning it as it's a more recognised way to exercise and is essentially doing the same thing. 

People rarely use the leg press to develop jumping or explosive strength so it looks wrong to most people. 

The gym inherently comes with injury risk, even when doing everything perfect so people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. The gym also involves a lot of bro-science, unqualified experts offering advice (I can put my hand up on that) and like a lot of social media people trying to put others down to feel better about themselves. 

• Thanks 1

Had my first session on my new underground gym on Monday. It felt sooo good to be back lifting weights. But I couldn't believe how much strength I'd lost. Not totally unexpected, but man I was weak.

Also the DOMS are insane! I'm planning to do 4 or 5 days a week now it's so convenient but I was in so much pain yesterday and today that I think I'm going to have to ease myself back in slowly.

Chuffed to be back on it though

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Had my first session on my new underground gym on Monday. It felt sooo good to be back lifting weights. But I couldn't believe how much strength I'd lost. Not totally unexpected, but man I was weak.

Also the DOMS are insane! I'm planning to do 4 or 5 days a week now it's so convenient but I was in so much pain yesterday and today that I think I'm going to have to ease myself back in slowly.

Chuffed to be back on it though

You'll get back up there very quickly. Muscle memory is a great thing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve been missing the gym so cancelled my membership and started creating my own home gym in a spare room.

On Wednesday my Pelaton bike should arrive, cannot wait.

• Haha 1

Never posted here but been really getting into resistance band workouts at home, light kettlebells etc and got into calisthenics YouTube videos lately. Anyway been working on doing a pull up for about a month and tried about two weeks ago and couldn't move an inch so did jump up eccentric lower downs and tried again yesterday and did one. Just one, couldn't do a second but such a good feeling for progress paying off 

Athlean-X YouTube channel is so awesome. Doing my face pulls most days lol

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Never posted here but been really getting into resistance band workouts at home, light kettlebells etc and got into calisthenics YouTube videos lately. Anyway been working on doing a pull up for about a month and tried about two weeks ago and couldn't move an inch so did jump up eccentric lower downs and tried again yesterday and did one. Just one, couldn't do a second but such a good feeling for progress paying off 

Athlean-X YouTube channel is so awesome. Doing my face pulls most days lol

Keep up with the hard work and you'll keep progressing, but don't give up if it slows down a little at times, it happens. 

As well as doing eccentric lower downs try adding in holding the pull up at the point of failure for as long as you can. 

Jeff gives some good advice, if a tad overloaded with info as he has about 100 videos on every subject. He gets bad press due to the fake weight stuff but I don't really care about that. Just ask yourself if you like his advice and you get stuff from them. His criticism about not teaching proper breathing techniques for squatting is more a concern for me but if you aren't squatting heavy don't worry to much about it. 

I'd recommend looking into Jeff Nippard, Alan Thrall, Buff Dudes, Juji and Tom, Simon Miller and Gregg Doucette if you decide you want to learn more and see if you like any of those guys videos. 

If you're enjoying calisthenics videos and haven't seen the calisthenicmovement channel I'd suggest a look. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Thanks 1

First workout in ages completed. 2020 was very disjointed and bad for me. Got mono in the start of February. Was unable to workout until April. At that point everything was corona closed so between April and July the only workout I got was park strength and running.

In July I started up at the gym again. August I got a thigh injury. September I got a back injury, inflammation of sorts. And then in October everything shut down again.

Since October I've been busy on work travels and my thigh has gradually gotten better.

And now it's late Feb. 2021 and I did a run and some park workout yesterday. Normally do sets of 3-4. Hangups, dips, chins, pushups etc.

First set went fine. Quite close to where I was 9 months ago. So good in fact I added a few sets deadlift with some xfit class improvised barbell with car tiers. 

BUT the second set. Lol. I had so much lactic acid it was bonkers. Couldn't do it. Genuinly could not.

But the running before strength went fine, so well pleased with that.

But the doms today from that very very light deadlifting. It's hilarious. Can't walk.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

After aggravating my back issue again, I’ve decided to change it up a little bit. I’ve been doing variations of stronglifts5x5 for a good while, and was kind of banging my head against a glass ceiling anyway. 

I’ll still be doing mostly barbell work, and will keep e.g. bench pressing, but will be shifting towards more reps (8-10) and lighter weights. The goal was never to be a power lifter anyway, so no point crocking up my back to lift as heavy as at all possible. I want to do more explosive reps, more movement work. 

My take is that I will still be able to build muscle on higher reps, lower weights, I’m just not building my max strength. Is that about right? 

What I really came to say, though, for anyone who have protein shakes as part of their diet: Try mixing strawberry and banana flavoured whey - yummy! 

Edited by El Zen

I am a buffoon. I haven't been to the gym in a long time. I didn't go as much as I'd like pre covid, and then not at all. So I have some dumbbells and I started doing a dumbbell programme. Day 1 was whole body. It's like that for the first 3 weeks. I did fine on Day 1. I kept the weights low and was pretty comfortable throughout. And then I did Day 2. And I forgot everything. 

I have reasonable strength in my arms because I have a manual enough job (pulling broken bones back into position and such is actual more brawn than brain), but otherwise I'm completely sedentary. My accessory muscles that I don't use day to day are so so weak, and when I go to lift weights, and exhaust my major muscles, the accessory muscles like the para spinals and the ones in my groin, get destroyed. And that's what happened. 

A word of warning to anyone considering getting back into the gym - start low. Like the 5x5 starting with the super low weight. It's so that the little muscles you only use for weight lifting can be allowed to grow so they don't get torn to shreds when you fail a rep.

I couldn't get out of bed this morning because of back pain, and then nearly fainted when i did manage it. Like a hysterical woman in a black and white film. Then I couldn't put on socks and shoes without much roaring and the use of a shoe horn. I'm not as young as I once was, but I'm not as old as I feel either.

• Like 1

First weight session post-covid and it was awful. Lost 50kg of my deadlift and about 25/30% of all my other lifts. Even with doing fewer exercises/reps/sets and using less weight I still struggled and nearly threw up. Going to be a long slog back but hoping muscle memory kicks in. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2021 at 15:59, Rds1983 said:

First weight session post-covid and it was awful. Lost 50kg of my deadlift and about 25/30% of all my other lifts. Even with doing fewer exercises/reps/sets and using less weight I still struggled and nearly threw up. Going to be a long slog back but hoping muscle memory kicks in. 

After going quite hard at it I'm finally nearly back at pre-covid levels for weight lifted and reps/sets. Hopefully I can keep going and break some plateaus as I'm now edging back closer to the 200kg mark. 

@Stevo985how's the celebrity garage gym going? 

• Like 1

Btw. Anyone struggled with inflamed wrists? My wrists are killing me from dips etc. Guess my form and genetics aren't a good match.

It's normally pushups, dips, chins, bench etc. and my wrists are killing me. Literally can't hold a kettle of water afterwards.

Going to see physio today. Just hoping I can get some cortison shots or something, cause I'm so tired of working out in pain. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

After going quite hard at it I'm finally nearly back at pre-covid levels for weight lifted and reps/sets. Hopefully I can keep going and break some plateaus as I'm now edging back closer to the 200kg mark. 

@Stevo985how's the celebrity garage gym going? 

It's going really well. We've expanded it and added a few things in. I'm not quite back to pre-covid strength levels but I'm getting there.

Still a little tricky to work some areas (back mainly) with the equipment we've got but I'm managing fine.

I'm sticking to the diet I was on last year when I lost 2 stone (just a normal calorie controlled one) and my weight is actually creeping up slowly so I'm hoping that's muscle going back on!

• Like 1

Â