Gym Routine

olboydave

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well our gyms are finally opening next week. I'm pretty bloody hyped tbh. I was at the peak fitness of my life in the end of 2019. Then I got mono and a bunch of other illnesses, injuries and bullshit while covid happened and lock down took place. So project gettingbackintoshapelike2019 starts this week on Wednesday. 

So pretty much 12 months without lifting and my body is like half the size it used to be. While I'm excited about starting up, I'm also nervous about how I will regain all that muscle. I've packed it on during my 20s, and now being 37 I just don't know if I have it in me. 

I bet it will be DOMS out of this world the first few weeks though haha. 

Think I'm gonna focus on deadlift, squats, benchpress, lateral raise, bicep curls, hangups, rowing and maybe french press. God I hope I can regain some size without too much eating. 

I'm 37 and I'm still putting on muscle and increasing my PBs. So it is possible to still put muscle on as a natural at that age. It won't be as fast as it would have been in your 20s but muscle memory should help. I'm also a lot more dedicated and focused then I was when younger (you have to be) and that helps too. 

The hardest bit you'll probably find will be recovery. It seems to take twice as long as it did 5 years ago and I'm perpetually tight in my hamstrings. Unless I do yoga several times a week I struggle to get a workout in as I'm too stiff. I also need an extra rest day here or there. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm 37 and I'm still putting on muscle and increasing my PBs. So it is possible to still put muscle on as a natural at that age. It won't be as fast as it would have been in your 20s but muscle memory should help. I'm also a lot more dedicated and focused then I was when younger (you have to be) and that helps too. 

The hardest bit you'll probably find will be recovery. It seems to take twice as long as it did 5 years ago and I'm perpetually tight in my hamstrings. Unless I do yoga several times a week I struggle to get a workout in as I'm too stiff. I also need an extra rest day here or there. 

You ever tried Creatine to see if it helps your recovery?

I'm a nonresponder on creatine, but I fancy trying it now just for that. 

45 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You ever tried Creatine to see if it helps your recovery?

I'm a nonresponder on creatine, but I fancy trying it now just for that. 

I've been on creatine for years. I find what helps most with recovery is casien protein. 

• Like 1

Wish creatine did anything for me.

Had I my first workout on Wednesday. The last two days have been absolute murder. I am so sore it's unreal.

You know those pictures of the human body that shows what muscles are worked during squats and deadlift, i.e. pretty much everyone? I feel that. I feel it so bad.

I did some lateral raises as well, and my deltoids are so **** sore it's funny.

Can hardly walk.

I'm way off though. 30-50 % off where I was I suppose. But nice to be back. Supposed to be back today for a new session. I will give it a try, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Had to increase my rest time from one day off to two days off due to soreness. Had my second session yesterday. Boy it feels good.

Was hard to overcome the doms during warmup and squats, but after 30 min I was fine.

Nice to see all the hangups I've done during lockdown has made me retain some capacity on bench press. Guess it's substantial lats activation on both exercises.

Deadlifts and especially squats however is a nightmare.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I try to keep track of the amount of calories I eat. I only do rough numbers, but l will try to go from 70 kg to 66 kg again, so I think I will have to cut down a bit to get there faster. 

I'm thinking around 1500 kcal on rest days, so 2000 on my lifting or running days (as the warmup is around 120 kcal and the lifting normally is around 400, and my run of 7 km normally is around 500 kcal as well.).

Anyone have strong opinions on 1500 kcal and muscle gain? I've done it before and got fairly cut from it, but it was tiresome. Was easier when I gorged on 4000 cals a day and got fat as feck haha. 

I guess there are some calculators people use to get an idea, but I dunno. I'm 170 cm, 70 kg, no idea about fat percentage right now, but I'm guessing 14-15. Maybe I can get back to 12 ish if I drop to 66 kg.

The only new thing for me in terms of diet is that I've started to eat oat for breakfast. Which I've never done as I'm not a breakfast person. Or I wasn't anyway.

18 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I guess there are some calculators people use to get an idea, but I dunno. I'm 170 cm, 70 kg, no idea about fat percentage right now, but I'm guessing 14-15. Maybe I can get back to 12 ish if I drop to 66 kg.

Do you really think you need to lose weight? 170cm and weighing 70kg seems on the light side if anything even with a slim/small build. You aren't going to get away with an intake of 1500kcal and off the back of that build muscle. 

I'd at very least intake enough calories to maintain your weight and that should allow you to build muscle.

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Do you really think you need to lose weight? 170cm and weighing 70kg seems on the light side if anything even with a slim/small build. You aren't going to get away with an intake of 1500kcal and off the back of that build muscle. 

I'd at very least intake enough calories to maintain your weight and that should allow you to build muscle.

I actually am confused about it cause I read the same stuff through google, but I've done the experiement before myself and gained plenty muscle on 1500. I also ended up injured, but I dunno. I just struggling to find the sweet spot for calorie intake as I find myself either too full or too hungry.

But yeah, ideally I want to cut off 4-5 kg and get my definition back. It's weird though. I've only had 4 full body workouts since the gyms reopened and I can already see clear difference. I guess the body carries some pump through the days, but it also seems more toned and defined already. Just love it. 

But back to your comment Mark. You don't think I will maintain the 70 kgs on 1500/day? Maybe you're right. What do you reckon is the maintenance level? 2000? Some calculator on google claimed 2500 was maintenance level, but I know for a fact I'd gain a lot of fat and muscles on 2500. Been there done that so to speak. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually am confused about it cause I read the same stuff through google, but I've done the experiement before myself and gained plenty muscle on 1500. I also ended up injured, but I dunno. I just struggling to find the sweet spot for calorie intake as I find myself either too full or too hungry.

But yeah, ideally I want to cut off 4-5 kg and get my definition back. It's weird though. I've only had 4 full body workouts since the gyms reopened and I can already see clear difference. I guess the body carries some pump through the days, but it also seems more toned and defined already. Just love it. 

If it has been proven to work for you then go for it. Being only 70kg already though I wouldn't become too transfixed on losing weight as if you continue to weight train regularly, along with the running, you'll naturally become more defined.

Just now, markavfc40 said:

If it has been proven to work for you then go for it. Being only 70kg already though I wouldn't become too transfixed on losing weight as if you continue to weight train regularly, along with the running, you'll naturally become more defined.

I'll be honest I think some of those gains have been newbie gains by doing exercises I haven't previously prioritised. But it's a while back now so hard to quality control it. 

I guess it's also a chance I've been tricked by 1) definition meaning muscle. 2) Increased weight on lifts meaning more muscle. Both which clearly don't have to connected. 

I'm looking to pick up a power rack for the home gym and wondered if anyone had any advice or had used a Thor Power rack from Strength shop? 

Id love to get one from Rogue but the ceiling can't take 90 inches height (about 87 inches is the max). 

I'm now teetering on 98-100kg and have put a bit of a belly on. My 36" waist trousers are feeling a bit tight now. 9 year ago me would kick my ass.

Lockdown hasn't helped at all. I've just been eating more and not doing a lot. Football is helping a little but it's only once a week. Need to do more.

Yeah I feel you @Dante_Lockhart

After I broke up with my ex, I went from 97kg to 79kg (exercise and diet). I'm 190cm / 6'3.

In the last 6 months I've peaked again at 88kg, still look slim but not issues with love handles that I want gone. So cutting again now ready for my wedding. Back down to 84kg now.

Football is fantastic, unfortunately I've been out injured since Feb :( 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah I feel you @Dante_Lockhart

After I broke up with my ex, I went from 97kg to 79kg (exercise and diet). I'm 190cm / 6'3.

In the last 6 months I've peaked again at 88kg, still look slim but not issues with love handles that I want gone. So cutting again now ready for my wedding. Back down to 84kg now.

Football is fantastic, unfortunately I've been out injured since Feb :( 

I've still got the same frame I had when I power-lifted strangely. I'm sure if I picked it up again it wouldn't take long to turn it around. It's just finding time at the moment now. The only time I really have is early in the morning, but I'm not a morning person so getting out the house at 6 for an hour at the gym before work is going to be hard. After work I wanna spend time at home with the lad, and once he's gone to bed (8ish) I won't have the drive to head out then.

3 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've still got the same frame I had when I power-lifted strangely. I'm sure if I picked it up again it wouldn't take long to turn it around. It's just finding time at the moment now. The only time I really have is early in the morning, but I'm not a morning person so getting out the house at 6 for an hour at the gym before work is going to be hard. After work I wanna spend time at home with the lad, and once he's gone to bed (8ish) I won't have the drive to head out then.

Even when I was 79kg, I had a stupid figure; really skinny plus bloody love handles :D

It's frustrating; can imagine it's even worse when you have a kid to look after on top of it all!

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 18:58, KenjiOgiwara said:

But back to your comment Mark. You don't think I will maintain the 70 kgs on 1500/day? Maybe you're right. What do you reckon is the maintenance level? 2000? Some calculator on google claimed 2500 was maintenance level, but I know for a fact I'd gain a lot of fat and muscles on 2500. Been there done that so to speak. 

I sound fairly similar to you, except I pretty much just do cardio (running and HIIT) , some upper body (big push ups routine, pull ups, some from the HIIT), and plenty of abs.

Never been looking to gain much muscle or I’d have probably gone to the gym for it not home workouts, but in my experience I have gained enough for me on those kind of calorie intakes during the week, though I must take in at least 4 or 5k per day at the weekend with what I eat and drink.

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Even when I was 79kg, I had a stupid figure; really skinny plus bloody love handles :D

It's frustrating; can imagine it's even worse when you have a kid to look after on top of it all!

The love handles are definitely on show XD

I might just starting doing a half hour run after work every day. Better than nothing. I've been doing pull-ups on the steel gate at work every time I go out. Only 4-5 at a time though, hard lifting nearly 100kg 😂

I've noticed that while my lower belly fat has decreased a little bit and I have no love handles the traditional place, I do however have lovehandles on my lower back. On each side. Bloody annoying. It's like my body's refuge place for fat under distress.

You can't see them facing me, but when I turn my back they are very visible (assuming I wear a compression shirt).

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

On 28/05/2021 at 11:09, KenjiOgiwara said:

Wish creatine did anything for me.

Serious question, as I’ve been taking creatine for about a year, how do you know for sure that it doesn’t? 

On 30/04/2021 at 15:16, El Zen said:

I’ve had three L5 herniations, once directly caused by deadlifting

Four and two, as of last Sunday 🙈

Worst feeling in the world, and the pain was awful for two days. Managed to get myself to the gym yesterday for some light/high rep bench press, bicep curls, leg exts and leg curls. Very happy to be back at it so quickly. Will be laying off the squats and deadlifts for a while still, though! 

Â