Gym Routine

olboydave

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Eddie has packed the strongman stuff in as far as I’m aware. Retired after he won the worlds strongest man in 2017 and gone on to lower weight stuff. Lost a shit load of weight. 

So I doubt you’ll ever see him lifting that sort of weight again

It looks like those two may be having a boxing match (at least allegedly). It seems there is no love lost between those two. Hall beat The Mountain in 2017 world strongest man, The Mountain has accused him of cheating.

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yeah apart from that being an insane amount to lift the second thing I thought was that must lead to some nasty back injuries.

If you lift wrong then it’s very easy to hurt your back with deadlifts. Mine was I sort of slipped as I was about to lift and it meant I leaned way forward. Instead of stopping and resetting I lifted anyway and pulled something in my back. 

I think Eddie Hall retired for health reasons. He burst blood vessels and passed out when he lifted 500kg so it takes its toll!

The weird bit about lifting heavy, well relatively heavy, is that it's so easy to lose technique during a lift, but still force through and finish the lift. 

I consider myself pretty good at avoiding it, but I think anyone can relate to the feeling of **** that bit up. 

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I consider myself pretty good at avoiding it, but I think anyone can relate to the feeling of **** that bit up. 

It’s the worst. Herniating a spinal disc mid-squat. Yikes! 

20 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Can't say I've ever done a deadlift but posted the link above because it was a world record.

So then VT'ers what is the maximum amount of deadlift you have managed before?

When I was doing it I think 170kg was my max 5 rep. Good 4 years ago that was. I really want to get back into it again.

Also, it looked like the Mountains shins were about to split open o_0

Out of interest, assuming you don't have your own garage gym, how do you work out these days? 

I'm mostly run every other day and keep about 30 minutes of strength mid run in monkey bars. Feel most muscles are activated during the strength session, but really lack a good bicep exercise. 

What are you guys doing?

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve done 180kg (around 400lbs) in the past but that was a long time ago. I wouldn’t get anywhere near that these days. 

Did my back quite badly deadlifting a couple of years ago so I’ve stayed away from them since then. 

I hit a long time goal of 200kg March 2019 and have never really pushed the 1RM since then. I watched Thors lift live and it was very impressive. Not an official world record for me as I agree with Eddie Hall and Brian Shaw that it needs to be done in competition. I have no doubt Thor can do it though and probably more be interesting to see that develop. As for the boxing match that is just mad, I hope Eddie brings his poisoned spear. 

I have a bar bell, rack and climbing wall at home so have still be able to do basically all the exercises I used to do in the gym. Also been running and doing Joe Wicks with the kids so I'm doing tons of exercise. This is basically to counteract the fact that I'm drinking everyday now for some reason. Got into a habit of having bottles of beer every evening. It's a weird time so I'm not beating myself up about it. So I'm getting fatter but at least slower than if I wasn't exercising lots. 

Edited by villaglint

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Out of interest, assuming you don't have your own garage gym, how do you work out these days? 

I'm mostly run every other day and keep about 30 minutes of strength mid run in monkey bars. Feel most muscles are activated during the strength session, but really lack a good bicep exercise. 

What are you guys doing?

If you have access to monkey bars then surely pull ups?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If you have access to monkey bars then surely pull ups?

I do pullups yes, but still not enough bicep activation for my liking. Neither is chins. 

But I suspect it's a two fold problem. I think I; 

1) get very tired from pullups, so the juice isn't quite there to maximize on chins. And even when I do chins, I feel they aren't that good at beating up my biceps. 

2) I am running a lot these days, cause I can't go rowing or lift in the gym. And it might just be the running is making me drop muscle all over the place, and maybe the exercises are good enough, but I'm failing to gain on them. 

I'm experiencing a really weird feeling when I go runnning after doing several sets dips and pullups though. If I do say, 30 pullups, 30 dips, 30 pushups, some squats and stuff, then go running my arms are literally exploding. It's so painful to run. It's like they are about to fall off. I've normally done a rowing cardio before my weight lifting, but going running after is another ball game completely. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

46 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What are you guys doing?

Running every other day, lots of push-ups, some kettlebell work. I really, really miss the gym. Can’t really replicate barbell and rack work at home and I feel like I’m losing muscle mass. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What are you guys doing?

I've been doing HIIT bodyweight workouts 3 times a week at home.

Plus I've been out walking every day for an hour at least and been running a couple of times a week too.

I don't have any equipment to do weights or anything at home. or the room to store them really. I'm fully accepting that I'm going to lose some muscle this year. But i've put weight on the past 12 months so I'm going to use this time to lose weight and gain some fitness, and then use the winter, when hopefully the gyms are back open, to put back on the muscle I've lost.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided that I'm gunna get up early on Sunday morning and to for a little run.

Back in January I was doing really well and running between 5k and 7k on the treadmill in the gym 2 or 3 times a week, if you knew the ways I've abused my body over the years you'd know how big of an accomplishment that was.

My hip **** up and I had to take a break from the gym for a while, then lockdown came and like many people I found myself eating and drinking like a tramp for a good long while.

I've been keeping myself busy at home mainly using BOXVR on my PlayStation VR and that had been brilliant.

Feels like it's time to suck it up and get outside and do something now though, even if I just do a mile or so it'll be a start, for me it's all about routine, once I get started I'll soon build the distance up again. 

• Like 1

With my basketball season expected to kick off within two months, here's where I'm at on the daily(back to the basics):

• 4 x 10 sprints of a 30m distance in under 1 minute.
  • 4 x 3 minutes of 15m sprint followed by 15m of lateral shuffles followed by 15m of zig-zag sprint, rinse, repeat.
  • 5 x 10 pushups, 5 x 10 reverse crunches, 5 x 10 jumping squats.
  • 150 makes from various shooting positions on the court.
  • 5 minutes of high intensity dribbling (no I don't drool on myself) drills with head up, no looking at the ball.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gyms are open again here. Did my first session today. Did 3 working sets of 5 reps on all big five barbell lifts, very light, just to find a restart level. My quads asked some stern questions about the squats but, all in all, it felt bloody fantastic to be lifting again. Went home and directly ordered 3000g of whey. Oops. 

• Like 1

I haven't touched a weight since early March because of the lockdown. A shame because I was getting back into it.

Lost nearly 20 pounds in Lockdown through diet, running and HIIT so I imagine a fair bit of that is muscle too.

Going to use 2020 as a weight loss year and then try to put some of the muscle back on over the winter.

I was seriously hitting my stride with the lifting just before the lockdown and it’s hard not to think of it as three big months lost, in terms of getting where I want to be, even if I’ve kept myself in decent shape running every other day. It’s really set the whole process back by at least four months, probably five. Which is a very selfish way of looking at an entirely necessary precaution, obviously. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't touched a weight since early March because of the lockdown. A shame because I was getting back into it.

Lost nearly 20 pounds in Lockdown through diet, running and HIIT so I imagine a fair bit of that is muscle too.

Going to use 2020 as a weight loss year and then try to put some of the muscle back on over the winter.

Fair plan! How are you dieting? Cal count? 

Â