Gym Routine

olboydave

Funnily enough I've never used a belt cause I thought if I actually need to lift heavy in real life, say for instance if a place is on fire or something and I have to carry a person out, I can't be like - hold on, gotta get my belt. 

But if it will help me get stronger it's a good thing I guess. But yeah, he also went on about the spine and core stabilisation. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Switched it up now. Gonna try 7-5-3 rep range every other day until Feb/March. 

Tried it out and so far it feels rather nice. Shorter workouts on higher intensity. And feel pretty worked after it. Hopefully I can gain some size on low rep ranges as well. 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

@kurtsimonw sorry to hear what you are going through, just hope you are aware that a lot of people on VT are here for you and think of you as a friend even if this is only an online football forum.

I can't help you with much, but the gym is something I can possibly help with. Diet is key, if you're not keeping your diet in check then you won't lose fat and you won't gain muscle in the right areas. 

I've tried tracking my calories and macros before but it's never worked for me as I've never had a full understanding of it.

Watch the below video and potentially give it a try. It's the clearest video I have found on how to go about making an impact on my training. Use MyFitness Pal to track what you eat, and try to hit your daily macros, protein, carbs and fat. It's surprising how a diet you have been following and thinking is good, is actually completely wrong.

It's a slow process but following the below video has seen me lose weight and make some gains over the last 6 weeks. It's also something to occupy your mind and focus on. Some of his other videos are also really good.

Thought I'd reply here rather than cluttering the other thread. 

I think I'm caught in a bit of a cycle. I don't doubt that my mental state is causing my lack of progress. But at the same time, the gym is about the only thing I have control over in regards to issues I have. So until I start seeing results here, it's likely going to be hard for me to see a change in my mindset. 

As for macros. I've been tracking them pretty strictly. I don't use MyFitnessPal or anything like that, as I don't really trust what other people have put on there. I exclusively shop at Tesco, so I use the nutrition data on their foods as my data for my spreadsheet. 

I've already nailed everything he said regarding macros. About the only thing I don't do is caffeine, but with my already existing sleeping issues it's just a concern of mine whether I should try it. 

I did read elsewhere that potentially my problems come from my body fat %. Admittedly, I've only ever used my parents scales to measure this whenever I've popped over, as they have those ones that tell you your fat %, water weight, etc. So I don't know how accurate they are, but cross referenced with images online they seem roughly in line with what I've seen. They say I'm roughly 20% in body fat, which last night I read isn't optimal for building muscle. Because I look skinny, I've been told that putting muscle on should be my main aim, but I think I'm going to aim to just lose fat and essentially not worry about muscle for now. I'll do my resistance training as normal and hopefully maintain at worst, but I'll try and not stress over it. 

• Like 2

On 09/12/2019 at 07:19, KenjiOgiwara said:

2) I have done way too much sets and reps each exercise. Basically he put up a graph where exhaustion is measured against recovery. Because I work out like I do I burn myself out instead of increasing and building. Was an eye opener, and it explains a lot why I need a week break now and then (well quite often). 

Pretty sure I remember myself and a few others saying this to you a while ago based on some of the workouts you posted and being given pretty short shrift. 

@kurtsimonw I don’t post all that often but have read a lot of your posts on another thread and have been meaning to post a response. I don’t claim to be the font of all knowledge on training and nutrition but I’d really like to try and help you in any way I can. 

PM me any time with specific questions and I’ll do my best to advise. 

You’re probably trying to process a lot of information but above all in the mean time, make sure you’re covering the basics:

- keep training simple and consistent, focus on building muscle (forget about trying to lose fat for now)

- eat at least maintenance calories (there are no perfect calculators so use one as a basis and then monitor and adjust accordingly)

- 0.8-1g of protein per pound of target body weight.

- keep a record of each workout to monitor progress. 

Stick to a simple pull/push/legs split and consider sacking off the big lifts. Consider embracing machines and higher volume sets. Basically, go all out on the bodybuilding-style training if aesthetics is what you’re after. It doesn’t sound like you get on too well with the bench. Don’t fall into the trap of being a hybrid powerlifter. Keep sets above 8 reps at the very least and don’t be afraid to go as high as 20. 

As I say, feel free to PM any time.

Edited by JB

15 minutes ago, JB said:

Pretty sure I remember myself and a few others saying this to you a while ago based on some of the workouts you posted and being given pretty short shrift. 

Not sure what your on about. Just went back and checked it and all I said was that a split wasn't something that interested me. It still isn't. Had no interest in dismissing anyone, so I apologize if I did, all though I fail to see what you're on about.

@kurtsimonw I would really give creatine a go. Not everyone gets on with it, but it’s cheap, safe and the science behind it is solid (unlike most fitness supplements).

Order some pure creatine powder online and just mix it in with squash or juice. You’ll need to stay hydrated since it stores a bit more water in your muscles, but the benefits are pretty quick, and if you’re not enjoying it you can just stop taking it with no side effects.

1 hour ago, JB said:

I would recommend this. JB knows his stuff.

Would agree with everything he said and only add don’t go to the gym at 3AM! Only you don’t want to see other folks down there but as has been said many times in this thread nobody in the gym gives a hoot about what other people are doing. 

I know sleep issues are a whole minfield in itself to get sorted but surely getting up at 2.30 or whatever can’t be helping. Cardio in any form is always great to feel relaxed at the end of a day and help drop off. I recognise it may not be a silver bullet.

Putting the gym a side are there any sports you like/play just for fun! I know someone mentioned a Villa football meet up in the other thread. Did you, do you or have you ever played regularly in the past? 

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

@kurtsimonw I would really give creatine a go. Not everyone gets on with it, but it’s cheap, safe and the science behind it is solid (unlike most fitness supplements).

Order some pure creatine powder online and just mix it in with squash or juice. You’ll need to stay hydrated since it stores a bit more water in your muscles, but the benefits are pretty quick, and if you’re not enjoying it you can just stop taking it with no side effects.

The protein powder I have is 25g protein/5g creatine, I don't know if that makes a difference. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

I would recommend this. JB knows his stuff.

Would agree with everything he said and only add don’t go to the gym at 3AM! Only you don’t want to see other folks down there but as has been said many times in this thread nobody in the gym gives a hoot about what other people are doing. 

I know sleep issues are a whole minfield in itself to get sorted but surely getting up at 2.30 or whatever can’t be helping. Cardio in any form is always great to feel relaxed at the end of a day and help drop off. I recognise it may not be a silver bullet.

Putting the gym a side are there any sports you like/play just for fun! I know someone mentioned a Villa football meet up in the other thread. Did you, do you or have you ever played regularly in the past? 

Although I know people don't care, it's just an anxiety. It's hard to explain, but when you are not comfortable in the way you look, it's hard leaving the house. The gym is just another level where many are in fantastic shape. I research things to a fault, and unfortunately that means reading/seeing people put down others for form or whatever too. 

I played 6 a side with people from school from 16-31. A combination of my knees/back and then having real lives put a stop to it. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

The protein powder I have is 25g protein/5g creatine, I don't know if that makes a difference. 

Although I know people don't care, it's just an anxiety. It's hard to explain, but when you are not comfortable in the way you look, it's hard leaving the house. The gym is just another level where many are in fantastic shape. I research things to a fault, and unfortunately that means reading/seeing people put down others for form or whatever too. 

I played 6 a side with people from school from 16-31. A combination of my knees/back and then having real lives put a stop to it. 

I completely get the anxiety. However, given the anxiety I would have a think about body weight exercises you can do at home at a more reasonable time of day, because you will get much better results exercising between breakfast / lunch or between lunch / dinner.

Could you order some weights and kettle bells for your home and do some YouTube routines while you’re building up the confidence to go to the gym at a better time?

You don’t need to exercise in a gym to get reasonable results, especially at this stage. And exercising at a more reasonable time of day will help you sleep better, help you stick with the routine, etc etc - there are a lot of knock on benefits. It’s the most glaring flaw in your current routine, and one I think you can fix with a bit of lateral thinking, without having to overcome your anxiety immediately.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure what your on about. Just went back and checked it and all I said was that a split wasn't something that interested me. It still isn't. Had no interest in dismissing anyone, so I apologize if I did, all though I fail to see what you're on about.

Maybe it was someone else or I’m misremembering - apologies on my part if so. 

17 hours ago, JB said:

@kurtsimonw I don’t post all that often but have read a lot of your posts on another thread and have been meaning to post a response. I don’t claim to be the font of all knowledge on training and nutrition but I’d really like to try and help you in any way I can. 

PM me any time with specific questions and I’ll do my best to advise. 

You’re probably trying to process a lot of information but above all in the mean time, make sure you’re covering the basics:

- keep training simple and consistent, focus on building muscle (forget about trying to lose fat for now)

- eat at least maintenance calories (there are no perfect calculators so use one as a basis and then monitor and adjust accordingly)

- 0.8-1g of protein per pound of target body weight.

- keep a record of each workout to monitor progress. 

Stick to a simple pull/push/legs split and consider sacking off the big lifts. Consider embracing machines and higher volume sets. Basically, go all out on the bodybuilding-style training if aesthetics is what you’re after. It doesn’t sound like you get on too well with the bench. Don’t fall into the trap of being a hybrid powerlifter. Keep sets above 8 reps at the very least and don’t be afraid to go as high as 20. 

@kurtsimonw, I'd rate @JB as one of the most knowledgeable posters on here regarding this stuff, so I think this is a very good shout.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really inconsistent with the gym for the past 6-9 months. Keep restarting in bursts and spells but really struggling to go consistently. As a result I've added a bit of timber despite doing some running to fill the exercise hole.

Now I'm determined to get back into it properly. I've reined in my routine from a 4 day split, to a 3 day Push-Pull-Legs.
Less exercises overall but I'm keeping the big compounds in there (except deadlifts).
Also my biggest problem is going straight into a 4 day a week routine again I just kept failing to go 4 times due to work and laziness. So Once I'd missed a session I'd end up giving up for a week and starting again.

Hoping the 3 day a week routine means I end up sticking to it a bit more.

If anyone could recommend a good pull routine and leg routine let me know. I can make my own or get a template but happy to listen to suggestions

Push this morning was

Bench
Strict Military Press
Incline DB Bench
Sitting DB shoulder press
Tricep Pull down
Tricep Extension
Lat raises

All 3 sets 8-12 reps

• 1 month later...

Had just got into a rhythm back in the gym before this virus stopped everything!

Anybody know any decent home workouts? Bodyweight stuff only (I could probably buy some bands as well)

I'm getting out and exercising during the lockdown but would like to do as much as possible at home to stop myself turning into a flabby mess!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Just seen that beat local boy Eddie Hall. Ed will bound to be back to it after this. 500kg though that's insane!

There's a clip on Instagram or you tube how Eddie Hall got to 500kg. The discipline is insane nearly killed him. Was thinking a bit of training and give it a go, but those few seconds lifting involve so much.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

My body is just falling apart when the gyms are closed. I go jogging 3-5 times a week and do a lot of hangups, dips, pushups, planks, squats etc. but my arms are just pathetic now. Clothes are like curtains 🙈 🤬🤬

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Can't say I've ever done a deadlift but posted the link about because it was a world record.

So then VT'ers what is the maximum amount of deadlift you have managed before?

100 % raw I did  (in January this year) 310 lbs on 147 lbs bw. Was feeling good after coming back from injury and now this corona shit ruined it all. 

Spent a solid amount of time on my technique and think 2,5 x bw is within my reach tbh. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Just seen that beat local boy Eddie Hall. Ed will bound to be back to it after this. 500kg though that's insane!

There's a clip on Instagram or you tube how Eddie Hall got to 500kg. The discipline is insane nearly killed him. Was thinking a bit of training and give it a go, but those few seconds lifting involve so much.

Eddie has packed the strongman stuff in as far as I’m aware. Retired after he won the worlds strongest man in 2017 and gone on to lower weight stuff. Lost a shit load of weight. 

So I doubt you’ll ever see him lifting that sort of weight again

44 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Can't say I've ever done a deadlift but posted the link about because it was a world record.

So then VT'ers what is the maximum amount of deadlift you have managed before?

I’ve done 180kg (around 400lbs) in the past but that was a long time ago. I wouldn’t get anywhere near that these days. 

Did my back quite badly deadlifting a couple of years ago so I’ve stayed away from them since then. 

• Like 1

Â