Gym Routine

olboydave

On 25/06/2020 at 12:49, Straggler said:

I'm probably way behind most of you here, but I've got back to training after years off basically to save myself from lockdown fat couch potato syndrome. I have a bench, two dumbbells and enough plates to max out at 17.5kg on each one. I'm doing press ups, chin ups, planking, body weight work to supplement. My problem is that for some parts of my routine I am using the max weight for my dumbbells and have no where left to go. As some of you mentioned new plates are stupid expensive at the moment. I'm not sure where to go next as I'm sure as hell not going to a gym.  

Because additional weight is so expensive it is beginning to price in something like this:

41jQDHdhhAL._SL450_.jpg

IT is interesting to me because my 14 year old kid has been training with me and it seems a safer option than handling progressively bigger free weights.  Interested if any of you have had experiences good or bad with home gyms?

Invest in some resistance bands (the more variety of elasticity the better) and a door stop, you'll then have a plethora of methods and exercises you can do to make Gainz. I have one EZ curl bar with few weights, pull up bar and three different resistance bands, if anything I may have made slightly more Gainz than when I was in the gym, that may be because ive upper the intensity too. I can see why calisthenics is pretty popular, been relying on body weight exercises too to help bridge the gap of my normal gym routine.

Another awesome space-saving thing for the home is adjustable Dumbbells. My brother in-law bought it an you have a 2-24 kg dumbbell in one unit. Easy as piss to change around and they really work.

image.png.ee49c5e7aadf14a1eb1eb0a8ff97fcc5.png

48 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Another awesome space-saving thing for the home is adjustable Dumbbells. My brother in-law bought it an you have a 2-24 kg dumbbell in one unit. Easy as piss to change around and they really work.

image.png.ee49c5e7aadf14a1eb1eb0a8ff97fcc5.png

I looked for one of these in lockdown so I could at least try and hold onto some muscle. 

they were going for like £500-600

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Trying to change things up a bit. During corona the gyms were closed, so I started a 7 km run + 40 min park workout. I have kinda enjoyed it, so think I will continue with it while doing every other day gym and run/park. 

Must say though my running form took a dip when I started deadlifts and squat again. It's not something I can explain, but it feels these two workouts work against each other. 

Bad news from my gym today. 

They’ve decided to increase (nearly double) prices and limit membership capacity when they reopen.

Out of the blue, I’ve just seen a FB post from them saying that availability has now ended and they’re full. They’d sent an email a couple of weeks ago to members offering the new memberships on a first come first served basis but I missed it because it went straight in my promotions folder on Gmail which I don’t get alerts for and never check.

Checked a couple of others local gyms and they’re doing the same, meaning it’s pretty much impossible to get a new membership anywhere.

So it seems like that’s me done, then. Home workouts just aren’t challenging or varied enough for me to maintain what I’ve got, let alone make progress.

It’s a first world problem but it’s pretty gutting to be honest. Training has been one of the only things that’s kept me sane at times.

Edited by JB

3 hours ago, JB said:

They’ve decided to increase (nearly double) prices and limit membership capacity when they reopen.

Out of the blue, I’ve just seen a FB post from them saying that availability has now ended and they’re full. They’d sent an email a couple of weeks ago to members offering the new memberships on a first come first served basis but I missed it because it went straight in my promotions folder on Gmail which I don’t get alerts for and never check.

Checked a couple of others local gyms and they’re doing the same, meaning it’s pretty much impossible to get a new membership anywhere.

So it seems like that’s me done, then. Home workouts just aren’t challenging or varied enough for me to maintain what I’ve got, let alone make progress.

It’s a first world problem but it’s pretty gutting to be honest. Training has been one of the only things that’s kept me sane at times.

I will be so annoyed if I miss this as well.

Literally checking the news everyday for the gyms to reopen at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the gym today, easing back in with pretty low weights. Felt like a right mook when I looked to my left and saw a lady lifting twice as much as me.

I've been off it for 14 months so it's going to take some time to get back to where I was, main goal for now is to get to where people call me a bald word removed rather than a fat bald word removed.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 19:46, JB said:

Guess it depends how beefy you are. I'm not massive, but I love deadlift etc. And despite of this I felt I could maintain my body pretty well with park workouts during corona. Hangsups, chins and dips really did wonders. 

I've been back at the gym for a month now and now my old meniscus injury is back 😔 it’s not the first time mind. It seems if I hit squats hard after a long break my meniscus gets inflamed very easily. So annoying. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

• 1 month later...

I don't normally work out in the evenings but had no choice today. Don't know if it was the change in routine or I was just tired but I wasn't paying attention whilst unloading the bar and left two 20kg plates at one end.

It all came crashing down as I looked on in horror and has gone straight into the wall and through the plaster leaving a 2inch wide plus hole and nearly as deep. 

We've got surveyors round on Monday too as we're selling the house. 

Please tell me some other idiot has done this too. 🤣

10 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I don't normally work out in the evenings but had no choice today. Don't know if it was the change in routine or I was just tired but I wasn't paying attention whilst unloading the bar and left two 20kg plates at one end.

It all came crashing down as I looked on in horror and has gone straight into the wall and through the plaster leaving a 2inch wide plus hole and nearly as deep. 

I've done this many times in the gym and seen others do it also.

Like others have said, a bit of polyfilla and paint and you won't even notice it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah I’ve done that in the gym. Just a brain fart moment. 

Very embarrassing but no damage to anything or anyone. Just the whole gym looking at you 😂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I’ve done that in the gym. Just a brain fart moment. 

Very embarrassing but no damage to anything or anyone. Just the whole gym looking at you 😂

The one plus of doing it at a home gym. I may have trashed the wall but didn't have everyone staring. 

The wife heard "a ridiculously loud smash" from two floors above. Said she listened out for a scream but didn't bother to come and check I was okay . Never felt so loved. 😂

Once I move into a new house I'm going to build my own home gym.

Do any of you guys who work from home have like panic buttons or anything? Just in case like above something happened and you got injured or stuck under weights or anything?

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do any of you guys who work from home have like panic buttons or anything? Just in case like above something happened and you got injured or stuck under weights or anything?

Put on a bit of a croaky, trembling voice and you could perhaps get yourself one of these:

Age UK personal alarm

Peace of mind from £16.48 per month (£19.78 including VAT)

The Age Co personal alarm will give you the security and confidence to continue living independently in the home you love.

;)

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've set one up over lockdown, and I just invested in a decent power rack with small enough increments I can position myself well to maintain good form without the bar being able to fall on me. I'm absolutely religious about ensuring it's set up properly so I can drop the bar on a squat or benchpress. I feel much safer than I did relying on a human spotter at the gym.

The only one I'm still a bit uncomfortable about is OHP, because if the bar slips out of your hands, it's coming down on your skull. An alarm isn't going to do much good there though. I still have the safety bars set just at the bottom of the descent so that I can bail if I need to though.

I wouldn't lift serious weight at home without safety bars under any circumstances.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've set one up over lockdown, and I just invested in a decent power rack with small enough increments I can position myself well to maintain good form without the bar being able to fall on me. I'm absolutely religious about ensuring it's set up properly so I can drop the bar on a squat or benchpress. I feel much safer than I did relying on a human spotter at the gym.

The only one I'm still a bit uncomfortable about is OHP, because if the bar slips out of your hands, it's coming down on your skull. An alarm isn't going to do much good there though. I still have the safety bars set just at the bottom of the descent so that I can bail if I need to though.

I wouldn't lift serious weight at home without safety bars under any circumstances.

Yeah I'd be investing in a power rack so I can probably get safety bars set up for most lifts.

I was just curious

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'd be investing in a power rack so I can probably get safety bars set up for most lifts.

I was just curious

I realise I didn't really answer your question, my thought on it though is to just ensure you're never in a position in which you'd need an alarm. I live alone though, so I'd have nobody to come and respond quickly anyway. 

I always keep my phone nearby just in case of injury or anything, but I can't think of a scenario in which I could picture getting trapped. Fingers crossed. If I don't post for a couple of days, send help. :D 

• Like 1

Â