Gym Routine

olboydave

6 hours ago, Michelsen said:

I was seriously hitting my stride with the lifting just before the lockdown and it’s hard not to think of it as three big months lost, in terms of getting where I want to be, even if I’ve kept myself in decent shape running every other day. It’s really set the whole process back by at least four months, probably five. Which is a very selfish way of looking at an entirely necessary precaution, obviously. 

Yeah same here. I got double fecked mind. Was feeling very good around January. In February I was diagnosed woth mono and was told no lufting until March 30th. Then this corona bullshit.

Had my first light intro to the big lifts yesterday. Went ok. About 20% off were I was.

Incredibly sore today mind, jesus. 

I'm just happy I did a lot of hangups during lockdown. The benchpress went better than expected. Not sure why, but the benchpress is absolutely always the exercise I have the biggest drop in during long periods with no lifting. Genetics I guess 

10 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Fair plan! How are you dieting? Cal count? 

Yeah just calorie counting. It’s the only thing that ever works for me. 

I can’t just cut down on stuff. I always naturally eat more calories than I need so I have to track them to keep them in check. 

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah just calorie counting. It’s the only thing that ever works for me. 

I can’t just cut down on stuff. I always naturally eat more calories than I need so I have to track them to keep them in check. 

I’m exactly the same. I can’t understand why anyone would want to complicate such a simple and effective concept. To lose weight, eat less energy than you use. It is so easy (feeling hungry for a week aside) and controllable, in my experience anyway. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Mixed (mostly shit) bag for me. Did nothing but sit on my arse until a couple of weeks ago. Really struggled to find the motivation without any real structure to my days. 

I’ve started training at home but have very limited equipment. I’ve got one adjustable dumbbell that ranges from 5-30kg (ish) and a light resistance band. I found big stick in the woods near my house that I’ve been able to wedge in corner of my garden fence to do pull ups and inverted rows 😂.

I’ve had to get creative to make workouts more challenging. I’ve done a lot of pre-exhaust supersets, pauses and holds. I’ve done push-ups off garden chairs for example to get a really deep stretch. I’ve also wrapped tape around the dumbbell handle to make it thicker. 

My main problem is my diet. I’m eating so much shit. I’m staying up later at night and can’t seem to get through a single evening without a chocolate bar or two 😂. I also haven’t done much cardio other than the odd long walk so my belly is growing faster than any other body part. 

• Like 1

I looked at purchasing some of those adjustable dumbells a couple of weeks ago. They are insanely expensive now. Demand must be so high. 

I was looking at about £500 for a set. Ridiculous

Weights for sure are super expensive right now for obvious reasons. For ages you didn't seem to be able buy any plates but they seem to be back in stock now. 

I bought 2 x 20kg plates the other day for about £130 which brings me up to 185kg overall so I can pretty much do what I want now. 

I reckon I am within a few % of the strongest I've ever been and on certain exercises I am the strongest I've ever been. I've always been pretty disciplined but the lock down routine seems to leave good periods of time for exercise. Managed to stop drinking for 4 days a week too which is helping with the slow weight creep I had. Now lost 1kg a week for the last 4 weeks. 

I have also done three 3hr courses in the last few weeks on Shoulder Bio Mechanics, Tendon Health and Rehabilitation and Strength/Conditioning Programming so I'm feeling a lot more knowledgeable about my training now which will hopefully help moving forward. 

• Like 2

I'm probably way behind most of you here, but I've got back to training after years off basically to save myself from lockdown fat couch potato syndrome. I have a bench, two dumbbells and enough plates to max out at 17.5kg on each one. I'm doing press ups, chin ups, planking, body weight work to supplement. My problem is that for some parts of my routine I am using the max weight for my dumbbells and have no where left to go. As some of you mentioned new plates are stupid expensive at the moment. I'm not sure where to go next as I'm sure as hell not going to a gym.  

Because additional weight is so expensive it is beginning to price in something like this:

41jQDHdhhAL._SL450_.jpg

IT is interesting to me because my 14 year old kid has been training with me and it seems a safer option than handling progressively bigger free weights.  Interested if any of you have had experiences good or bad with home gyms?

Edited by Straggler
missed a bit

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

Interested if any of you have had experiences good or bad with home gyms?

They are almost always crappier in real life than on a picture. Make sure you test it before you buy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Just get a rack, bar and some weights. 

Which is all you need, anyway, and gives you a better overall workout. That is, if you have space for a good, solid rack (behave!)

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2020 at 18:26, villaglint said:

Don’t get a home gym unless you spend mega money they are awful. Just get a rack, bar and some weights. 

This. 

If I had the space I'd buy a power rack, an olympic bar and some weights (and a bench if you didn't have it already). Understand it is probably more expensive than usual at the moment but I think it'd be worth it over a home gym.

@Straggler You're not lying. I just had a look at the 50kg barbell set I bought back in 2010 from Rebel Sport for $99, and that's now priced $199.

I actually gave that barbell set away to a friend from basketball to use during the pandemic because I don't use it, I'm happy with body weight circuit training.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@Straggler You're not lying. I just had a look at the 50kg barbell set I bought back in 2010 from Rebel Sport for $99, and that's now priced $199.

I actually gave that barbell set away to a friend from basketball to use during the pandemic because I don't use it, I'm happy with body weight circuit training.

Yea, it is a great time if you have some old stuff to be selling, not so great if you are looking for more.  TBF my heavier plates came from a friend who gave them to me because they were too light for him (he is basically the incredible hulk at this stage) it's nice having generous people out there.  That said he also encouraged me to inject all sorts of crap to help me get big, but I have declined that kind offer.  At the moment I'm just not buying anything.  I can't justify the cost of the plates etc at the moment and if home gyms suck then I guess we will do more of the body weight stuff.  It's a shame cos my 14 year old is getting into it, but I don't really want him lifting progressively heavier free weights as I'm not the person to teach him good form and I don't want him getting injured.

Have you put in here what your circuit training looks like, I would be interested to see if we could adopt some of it? 

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Yea, it is a great time if you have some old stuff to be selling, not so great if you are looking for more.  TBF my heavier plates came from a friend who gave them to me because they were too light for him (he is basically the incredible hulk at this stage) it's nice having generous people out there.  That said he also encouraged me to inject all sorts of crap to help me get big, but I have declined that kind offer.  At the moment I'm just not buying anything.  I can't justify the cost of the plates etc at the moment and if home gyms suck then I guess we will do more of the body weight stuff.  It's a shame cos my 14 year old is getting into it, but I don't really want him lifting progressively heavier free weights as I'm not the person to teach him good form and I don't want him getting injured.

Have you put in here what your circuit training looks like, I would be interested to see if we could adopt some of it? 

• 10 x jabs of steroids
  • Rest for 30 minutes
  • 10 x cold beers
  • Vomit for 30 minutes
  • 10 x cigarettes
  • Cough for 30 minutes

• Like 1

@Straggler Apologies I can be a bit more helpful than terrible attempts at humour. Circuit training is great because you can tailor it to whatever level you're at and get a whole body workout in. Bruce Lee, my idol both in terms of genius and what he was capable of physically, used circuit training as his go-to for his reflexes and physical acuity. Let me get you his handwritten workout routine, back in 5 minutes.

Edited by A'Villan

Right now my routine is very basic:

• 10 x pushups
  • 10 x tricep dips
  • 10 x reverse crunches
  • 10 x knee to elbow plank
  • 10 x burpees
  • 10 x squats
  • 10 x lunges or calf raises

Repeat for between 5-10 sets

• Thanks 1

Â