Gym Routine

olboydave

9 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Serious question, as I’ve been taking creatine for about a year, how do you know for sure that it doesn’t? 

Because I notice no difference and a large percentage are non responders. Obviously it's hard to be sure, but both in performance and recovery I didn’t notice anything.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because I notice no difference and a large percentage are non responders. Obviously it's hard to be sure, but both in performance and recovery I didn’t notice anything.

Thanks. It’s hard to isolate effects, I figure, and I have been making progress while I’ve been taking it, but it’s impossible for me to say if the creatine has contributed anything to that. 

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Four and two, as of last Sunday 🙈

Worst feeling in the world, and the pain was awful for two days. Managed to get myself to the gym yesterday for some light/high rep bench press, bicep curls, leg exts and leg curls. Very happy to be back at it so quickly. Will be laying off the squats and deadlifts for a while still, though! 

Sorry to hear that bud, hope you heal up quickly. 

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Sorry to hear that bud, hope you heal up quickly. 

Thanks. Doing ok. Just did a slow 10k run, so no worries 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I've found I respond to some creatines but not others, generally the purer (more expensive) it is the better I react. 

I tried the most expensive I found on the market that was recced by everyone. No effect 😕

It's weird to start slowly on the big lifts again.

Had four sets of five rep 100 kg (220 lbs I guess for you uncivilised people) deadlifts two days ago for the first time in a year and bunch of sickness and injury. Can really feel it around the centre of my back area.

Technique wasn't that impressive mind.

And squatting is even worse.  Tried some squats at 60 kgs, i.e  less than my body weight and I really really struggled. 😤🤮🥺

Guess I have to go down in weights and just have patience.

Went back for some squatting last night. Managed to get back on sets with 60 kgs. I'm amazed how shite I am at squats. I know I have toothpick legs and have had it despite playing football my entire life. Guess it's sort of genetics.

Gonna focus a lot on squats going forward and hoping to break 100 kgs again.

But how I can be so SO much worse at squats than deadlift is just baffling. I can't for my life understand it.

I’m definitely comparatively bad at powerlifting, although deadlifts are a slight exception for me too. I’m tall and long-limbed, and my muscles are just not very explosive. Genetics is very much a big, big part of it. I’ll never be the guy in the gym who lifts the heaviest. I’m fine with that. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Went back for some squatting last night. Managed to get back on sets with 60 kgs. I'm amazed how shite I am at squats. I know I have toothpick legs and have had it despite playing football my entire life. Guess it's sort of genetics.

Gonna focus a lot on squats going forward and hoping to break 100 kgs again.

But how I can be so SO much worse at squats than deadlift is just baffling. I can't for my life understand it.

DLs are for most people higher PRs than squats. For squats the weight is on your back and requires greater core/stabiliser muscles than DLs which is a limiting factor. Although when you get passed a certain point it does seem to flip as WR for squats is considerably higher then for DLs (as for geared lifting, equipment seems to benefit these moves better and there's less eccentric/stretch benefit). 

My PR for DLs is probably 30/40kg higher than my back squat PR and 50/60kg higher than my front squat PR (can't say for certain as haven't done 1 rep max for a while). I'm not even sure I could do a walkout with my DL PR on my shoulders. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 2

I've gone back to lat pulldown and seated row now.

My last workout was shorter than it normally is, but I sort of feel it was enough. Maybe I should reduce the amount of exercises.

Last workout:

• Warm-up 10 min row, 2300 meters.
  • Squats 6 sets
  • Bench press 5 sets
  • Pull up 2 sets
  • Lat pulldown 3 sets
  • Seated row 3 sets

Must say while I'm used to doing 2-4 sets of chins and pull ups, the activation I got from lat pulldowns was slightly different. Might stick with it.

A very childish thing, but I LOVE absolutely LOVE that my gym has invested in Eleiko's IPF approved metal discs for the racks.

I generally liked old fashioned metal barbells and dumbbells more than the rubbery shite they tend to have in gyms these days. Eleiko's ordinary discs are no different. Rubbery, bouncy, big and filled with sand I guess.

But the IPF approved ones are superb.

What's people opinions on isolated exercises.

I feel my arms, upper chest and shoulders have taken the biggest covid hit. Big size reductions the last 12 months.

I kind of want to do lots of curls, dips, raises etc, to get some size back, but I wonder if it's just faster to focus on the big lifts.

Anyone got strong opinions on this? Gaining arm size by doing deadlifts and squats? I would have thought it to be a bad idea, but I googled it and people recommend big lifts over isolation exercises.

Like today I had plans of doing:

Rowing warmup

Squats

Deadlift

Benchpress

Chins

Arnold

Raises

Curls

Dips

But I was so tired after chins I called it, which means I lost out on all the isolation exercises.

Guess I'm just slightly fatigued. Was the 7th gym session in 14 days after a year off.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I feel my arms, upper chest and shoulders have taken the biggest covid hit. Big size reductions the last 12 months.

I kind of want to do lots of curls, dips, raises etc, to get some size back, but I wonder if it's just faster to focus on the big lifts.

Anyone got strong opinions on this? Gaining arm size by doing deadlifts and squats? I would have thought it to be a bad idea, but I googled it and people recommend big lifts over isolation exercises.

Rowing warmup

Squats

Deadlift

Benchpress

Chins

Arnold

Raises

Curls

Dips

But I was so tired after chins I called it, which means I lost out on all the isolation exercises.

Guess I'm just slightly fatigued. Was the 7th gym session in 14 days after a year off.

I find a mix works well for me. I generally run a pretty standard PPL split (except doing pull first then push to keep DLs away from squats). I sometimes nowadays throw an extra rest day in where needed. 

I start off with a warm up exercise (hamstring curls or push-ups etc) with light resistance to get the blood flowing then move to one of the big three compound lifts and aim for 4 sets of 5 or 6 reps with a decent rest period. This helps me build strength but doesn't burn me out. Today was DLs (I only do 1 working set on these though). I then do isolation exercises of 4 sets in the 10 to 15 range such as today one arm rows and seated rows to blow out my back, then face pulls (essentially shoulders/posterior chain), then same sets/reps for biceps doing curls then hammer curls and these give me decent hypertrophy. 

I do mix it up though and have 2 separate routines on alternating days (such as back squat one day then front/hack squat next day or bench then dumbell bench). This helps keep it interesting and makes sure I'm well balanced out by doing more then just a few set exercises. 

I've lost about 10% body fat in the last 12 months, have added over an inch to my arms and PRs have stayed pretty much where they were when I was doing more strength work so seems to work well. 

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Rowing warmup

Squats

Deadlift

Benchpress

Chins

Arnold

Raises

Curls

Dips

That's a lot of compound lifts for one workout.

If I did Squats followed by deadlifts followed by benchpress I'd be absolutely **** after just those three exercises

Yeah I always do lots of compound lifts.

Currently I'm rotating these workouts:

Day 1:

• Rowing workout 10 min / 2300 m
  • Squats 5-6 sets
  • Deadlift 5 sets
  • Bench press 5 sets
  • Pull up 2-3 sets
  • Lateral raise 3 sets

Day 2:

• Squats 5-6 sets
  • Bench press 5 sets
  • Chins 2-3 sets
  • Arnold 3 sets
  • Lateral raise 3 sets
  • Bicep curls 3 sets
  • Triceps dip 3 sets

Alternate day (I mix this day in sometimes when I feel I need to rotate it a bit - and will just add different exercises I feel I miss out on. Last time I did abwheel etc.):

• Squats 5-6 sets
  • Bench press 5 sets
  • Pull up 2-3 sets
  • Lat pulldown 2-3 sets
  • Seated row 2-3 sets

Since I've struggled a little bit with my squat technique lately after starting up again, I read that I should try and keep my back more straight than it currently is.

What I noticed right away, is how incredibly stiff and akward my thighs and hip is. It's almost like good squats is difficult for me cause I'm not flexible in that area of my body. Which is bizarre as a physio said I was genetically hypermobile.

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a lot of compound lifts for one workout.

If I did Squats followed by deadlifts followed by benchpress I'd be absolutely **** after just those three exercises

Same. I'm **** after I've done any of those 3! 🤣

4 minutes ago, MCU said:

Same. I'm **** after I've done any of those 3! 🤣

Isn't that the point though? I'm a little bit competitive, but I don't see the point of working out if I don't give it 100%. I've had that discussion with my family so many times you wouldn't believe.

I wonder if I take it too far sometimes. But everyone thinks that don't they? Being absolutely shattered, getting headaches, back spasms after DLs so you can't sleep. Isn't all that pretty normal? I've worked out the same way for years. While is shatters me post workout, I'm normally fine the next day.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â